Transporting Firearm to Gunsmith?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by duvexy, Nov 3, 2008.

1. duvexy

duvexy New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Los Fresnos Texas
    Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I am just curious. I have been reading up on the law in the state of Texas in regards to trying to get my pmk .380 auto to the repair shop and I do not know how I can get my gun to the shop as I do not have a license yet. Any suggestions?
    I don't know how to fix it myself. I am not a gunsmith. Well, the issue is that when I shoot it the cartridge comes out after it is shot. It also needs a general cleaning as well. But, accroding to the law I can't travel with it unless I have a license. At, least that is my understanding.
    Can anyone help me on how to get my gun repaired?
    Thanks
    duvexy

2. Joat

Joat Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Unload it. Put it in a brown paper bag, put the bag with the gun in it inside a red igloo cooler, put the cooler with the gun in the bag into the trunk of your car, then drive it to the gunsmith. DO NOT speed or break any traffic laws while doing so. Carry the gun, cooler and all, into the gun shop and give it to the gunsmith. He'll take it from there.

Joat

Seriously, just unload it, put it in a gun rug, and drive to the gunsmith. You need to read the state laws a little closer as you have missed some important points of our state's laws.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    :lolz:

Yep. Just drive it to the gunsmith.

4. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    I hate when my automatic ejects the spent cartridge.

5. duvexy

duvexy New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Los Fresnos Texas
    Thank you so much for the information. You don't know how much I appreciate it. I will make arrangements to get this done. Thank you

6. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Yes, please read the laws.

You do not need a license at all to carry any firearm in any way you desire if you are going to a firearms related destination ( i.e. gun shop, match, range, hunting, etc ). This law has been on the books for decades.

We're not New York City (thanks be for that).

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    There are several very long threads on this subject.

I can't for the life of me figure out why, but there are. :lolz:

If one owns a gun, you ought to know, at least, the fundamental laws in regards to ownership in the state you live in.

8. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Please tell me you aren't talking about the spent cartridge?

Also, if you're not familiar enough with your gun to generally clean it, you ought to get a book or even check Youtube as I'm sure there are many video's on field stripping it. You should know the gun well enough to be able to provide basic maintenance.

And if you as talking about the spent shell being ejected after being fired, you really need to know how the gun operates before touching it again. :happy0001:

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well................that is not quite what the law reads;

I don't know if "going to the gunsmith" would be interpreted as a "sporting activity".

However, it is a moot point, as Texas Law now does not proscribe the carry of handguns in a vehicle as long as the person does not carry it in plain view, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in criminal ativity (other than traffic violations) at the time.

10. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I suspect he's referring to the magazine.