Will work for Ammo

Last edited:

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Regarding tracheotomy...I cut into a deers trachea once. Weird tissue. Wonder how it compares to a humans?
    Its kinda "crunchy", trachea is formed by tough cartilagenous rings connected with flexible connective tissue.....I believe they aim for the softer stuff when performing it......taking gross anatomy had its benefits, I got to feel/cut most of the tissues in the human body......really puts things in perspective!

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I could be wrong but Im pretty sure they cut between those rings also I know they cut vertically to make an opening. I loved watching shit like that when I was an EMT Id always talk the doctor into letting me sit in and watch. Had a Doc tell me to hold a guy down while he put a central line in his chest one day did it all about 12'' from my face, and got to watch a guys fingertip get reattached. pretty awesome.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    So, another trauma kit related question.....I will soon be the proud owner of a TAG plate carrier, looking to attach a MOLLE trauma kit to it (i.e. smaller package so very limited by space plus it will have 4 plates so it'll be plenty heavy as is). Who makes a good one that is loaded and ready to go or what are the "essentials" that must be had if I were to make my own. I think the "ABCs" work pretty well here....so I'm thinking ideal content minimum would be a way to maintain/reestablish an airway, way to maintain/reestablish breathing (i.e. CPR mask) and a way to stop bleeding (i.e. tourniquet, bandages, etc.)...what other things should be a priority?

My ultimate goal is to have a pouch/kit on me at all times while on the range or while in a SHTF situation that I can use to administer immediate aid to someone and to have a larger more comprehensive kit in an area of safety (i.e. my home or vehicle where hopefully no one is shooting at me and where I will have the time and ability to administer further aid if I am on my own (i.e there is no help coming)

Thank you for all of your input...I have discovered (while on the range and helping with/attending firearms courses) that the immediate ability to administer aid to someone that has just experienced a traumatic/life threatening injury is something most people don't think about and are in no way prepared for and as someone who is certified to offer basic first aid at the least, I have a duty to be prepared to do so....plus I want to have things in place to be prepared should the ability to seek medical attention disappear!

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    So, another trauma kit related question.....I will soon be the proud owner of a TAG plate carrier, looking to attach a MOLLE trauma kit to it (i.e. smaller package so very limited by space plus it will have 4 plates so it'll be plenty heavy as is). Who makes a good one that is loaded and ready to go or what are the "essentials" that must be had if I were to make my own. I think the "ABCs" work pretty well here....so I'm thinking ideal content minimum would be a way to maintain/reestablish an airway, way to maintain/reestablish breathing (i.e. CPR mask) and a way to stop bleeding (i.e. tourniquet, bandages, etc.)...what other things should be a priority?

My ultimate goal is to have a pouch/kit on me at all times while on the range or while in a SHTF situation that I can use to administer immediate aid to someone and to have a larger more comprehensive kit in an area of safety (i.e. my home or vehicle where hopefully no one is shooting at me and where I will have the time and ability to administer further aid if I am on my own (i.e there is no help coming)

Thank you for all of your input...I have discovered (while on the range and helping with/attending firearms courses) that the immediate ability to administer aid to someone that has just experienced a traumatic/life threatening injury is something most people don't think about and are in no way prepared for and as someone who is certified to offer basic first aid at the least, I have a duty to be prepared to do so....plus I want to have things in place to be prepared should the ability to seek medical attention disappear!

This is a pretty good ready made kit. It'll allow you to get the casualty stabilized until medical help is available:
    D.A.R.K. Gen 3, Complete Kit, (Civ/LE)--Wolf Grey--LIMITED RUN!!

This is the one I want to get to keep in my pocket at all times (like at work when the above kit won't be feasible):
    Pocket D.A.R.K.

Even more compact:
    Pocket D.A.R.K. "MINI"

As far as CPR, if I'm not mistaken, the latest recommendation is just for chest compressions. Basically, that with an unobstructed airway, you'll be moving the diaphragm enough during chest compressions for them to "breathe".

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR): First aid - Mayo Clinic

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    what...you don't keep a full operating room at the ready!? :pounce:

For me and mine, I'm willing to go as far as necessary. For the average Joe out there, I'm only willing to go so far. Without the necessary training and certification, and even with it, you're opening yourself up for serious litigation. I'd go so far as to doing what I can to stop bleeding or performing basic CPR (chest compressions only), but probably not any farther than that.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    This is a pretty good ready made kit. It'll allow you to get the casualty stabilized until medical help is available:
    D.A.R.K. Gen 3, Complete Kit, (Civ/LE)--Wolf Grey--LIMITED RUN!!

This is the one I want to get to keep in my pocket at all times (like at work when the above kit won't be feasible):
    Pocket D.A.R.K.

Even more compact:
    Pocket D.A.R.K. "MINI"

As far as CPR, if I'm not mistaken, the latest recommendation is just for chest compressions. Basically, that with an unobstructed airway, you'll be moving the diaphragm enough during chest compressions for them to "breathe".

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR): First aid - Mayo Clinic

Good info!

on CPR, you are correct (I worked with local ambulance company back home for a project in undergrad on this), however, I keep a mask handy in case I have extra help (i.e. second person) or in the case that I become exhausted to the point that my compressions are unhelpful (happens faster than you think) I could provide breaths while recovering.

Also, the bigger reason I keep the mask is for respiratory arrest where the heart is pumping but the lungs aren't ventilating.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around

I keep a CAT, Gauze, Bandages, plastic Film, and tape in my range bag just in case. Need to just buy a ready built pouch.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Good info!

on CPR, you are correct (I worked with local ambulance company back home for a project in undergrad on this), however, I keep a mask handy in case I have extra help (i.e. second person) or in the case that I become exhausted to the point that my compressions are unhelpful (happens faster than you think) I could provide breaths while recovering.

Also, the bigger reason I keep the mask is for respiratory arrest where the heart is pumping but the lungs aren't ventilating.

It doesn't hurt to use a one way mask, but it isn't needed proper compressions move quiet a bit of air. They don't recommend giving rescue breaths do to HIV/TB/who knows what else, but if you carry a Mask and can properly use it go for it.

Ive done more CPR Compressions than I care to remember. Its weird how easily the sternum breaks(feels weird too), but it makes for good compressions and talk about a workout they don't switch off like they say in class Ive done it for an hour straight...Got to love being the FNG on the box. Wish I still had my EMT-B Cert sometimes.

Im kind of upset none of you have IO's incase you cant get an IV started those are freaking awesome.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Im kind of upset none of you have IO's incase you cant get an IV started those are freaking awesome.
    I had to look that up. Interesting stuff, but yikes... I don't have any business injecting anything into anyone's shin. :laughing:

p_OnControl-Bone-Access.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Works in the shoulder too. There's a bunch of YouTube videos of them being used on volunteers it's pretty cool

Will work for Ammo

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston

....plus I want to have things in place to be prepared should the ability to seek medical attention disappear!

I've been first aid/CPR trained/certified for a long time and recently took a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course. It deals with first aid situations where advanced help (EMT's, FD, hospital, etc.) are two hours away or more. Good training that may fit what you're looking for.

Sorry it's not a "gear" suggestion but training and knowing how to do improvise is much more important than having the "right" stuff on hand.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I've been first aid/CPR trained/certified for a long time and recently took a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course. It deals with first aid situations where advanced help (EMT's, FD, hospital, etc.) are two hours away or more. Good training that may fit what you're looking for.

Sorry it's not a "gear" suggestion but training and knowing how to do improvise is much more important than having the "right" stuff on hand.
    This is perfect, where did you take it, I've been looking for one of these! Details please!

Top Bottom