• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Putting aside the bolts, locking types and various hammer mechanisms, that delicate finger lever that does the work. Standard type triggers can be loose, sloppy, drag prone, creepy, soft or crisp. What works best I suppose is what a shooter is most comfortable with or has alot of finger time in operation. On the mechanics of triggers there are a good number of design situations based on just plain function or extreme precision. Good results can be had with the general sear/let off single trigger. Which can be improved with simple tuning of the contact area and spring tension. Then things can get difficult when looking at "set triggers" and how they can turn mediocre results into incredible with a little mechanics. Single set trigger is simply that, a single trigger with a spring fly to trip the sear when it is set with a single motion of the trigger before firing. They work really well but take some practice. The ultimate is an adjustable "double set" trigger. Yes it has two triggers with opposing flys. When the rear trigger is "set" it engages a spring mechanism that supplies sufficient force on the fly of the front trigger.
    The two flys are opposed with a "hair trigger" disconnect connected to the front trigger. All that is needed is very slight touch on the front trigger to release the spring loaded fly which instantly engages the firing sear. They can be adjust by a small fine thread screw which chances the amount of contact between the two flys when engaged.
    Pretty touchy until you get the feel of the release you are most comfortable with.
    Many high quality European sporting firearms and deluxe sniper rifles have "double set' triggers. They are really nothing new as the design has been around for around two hundred years. Many fine "Kentucky" rifles hace double set triggers.
    If you get a chance to try one... do so.
    My favorite trigger mechanism by far. I bild them by hand for Mauser type bolt action guns ... just for fun. John

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Super light trigger let-off is a pain in some circumstances. I remember when silhouette shooters started putting triggers with 1 and 2 ounce let-offs on pistols; there were problems. Pistols get jostled more than rifles during those matches.

So Canjar came up with the Lite Pull. I'm not sure it was specifically for that market but the timing was certainly coincidental. What a piece of crap. It was creepy and awful. However, it met the design criteria. It could be adjusted down to an ounce and still be safe. No amount of jarring of the handgun could set it off. I have one in my kitchen and I may still use it in a build, if the gun will just be a plinker.

For serious use, I went with benchrest triggers. Then again, my second-favorite bolt rifle has a single-set trigger.

One of these days, I'm going to have to treat myself to a good double-set trigger.

You make the wheels in my head turn, Mad John. Thanks for that.

Top Bottom