• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wanted to change out the black iron sights on my 1911. Took it to my gunsmith and wanted to put 3 dot sights or Tru-Glo TFO's. MY eyes just arent what they used to be and I thought a 3 dot system or something similar would help the situation a little. I let my gunsmith talk me into something different. We went with a Dawson Red Fiber Optic for the front and Kentsight White Dot Trijicon tactical style sight for the rear. In the sight picture, the front fiber optic is significantly smaller than the rear white dots. When the dots and are all aligned, the top of the front post is not level with the top of the rear sight. It is distracting.

I am thinking of taking them off and going with the TruGLo TFO set. Green Front and Yellow rear.
    I see that there is a new TFX sight in addition to the TFO sight. I haven't been able to get any real information from Tru-Glo customer service or their website.

Has anyone used the TFO with Green front and yellow rear? What is your opinion.

What is the difference between the TFO and TFX?

Is the rear sight adjustable for elevation or windage?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I haven't seen the new ones but the TFOs are my go to sights. I go with all three green dots and prefer them like that.

Good luck and enjoy.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I can't speak to those specific TruGlos but I looked into the dual color sights and found my eyes (and brain :p) focused faster with a single color. Semed like a good idea though.

Your new to shooting and I've noticed your already making gear changes, have you considered that maybe "your" gunsmith is just moving product?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have the Tru Glo TFOs on my G30 and love them. Mine are all green. They transition from total dark to sunlight very well.
    I am like Glockster, I don't know if I would like a dual color sight.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I bought some glow in the dark paint at hobby lobby to use on my sights - orange and green. The glow in the dark part is lousy...it just doesn't work. But I kinda like the dual colors. I was thinking about going with TruGlo myself.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I can't speak to those specific TruGlos but I looked into the dual color sights and found my eyes (and brain :p) focused faster with a single color. Seemed like a good idea though.

You're new to shooting and I've noticed you're already making gear changes, have you considered that maybe "your" gunsmith is just moving product?

FIFY

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't speak to those specific TruGlos but I looked into the dual color sights and found my eyes (and brain :p) focused faster with a single color. Semed like a good idea though.

Your new to shooting and I've noticed your already making gear changes, have you considered that maybe "your" gunsmith is just moving product?

I'm not new to shooting, just handguns. Been hunting quail, dove, deer and squirrels for the last 40 years.

I sought out the gunsmith because I had trouble seeing the factory iron dights. I had him put Novak cuts in the slide. After talking me out of the truglo, he ordered the Dawson front and I ordered the Kentsight rear. I Don't think he's just moving product.
    He is respected by the LEO community here and has been a 1911 smith for 50 or 60 years I think. What he prefers just isn't right for me I think.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I wanted to change out the black iron sights on my 1911. Took it to my gunsmith and wanted to put 3 dot sights or Tru-Glo TFO's. MY eyes just arent what they used to be and I thought a 3 dot system or something similar would help the situation a little. I let my gunsmith talk me into something different. We went with a Dawson Red Fiber Optic for the front and Kentsight White Dot Trijicon tactical style sight for the rear. In the sight picture, the front fiber optic is significantly smaller than the rear white dots. When the dots and are all aligned, the top of the front post is not level with the top of the rear sight. It is distracting.

The front sight fiber is really only meant to help you get a snap-impression of where your front sight is - a point of reference for fast shooting; it's NOT a precision aid.

I am thinking of taking them off and going with the TruGLo TFO set. Green Front and Yellow rear.
    I see that there is a new TFX sight in addition to the TFO sight. I haven't been able to get any real information from Tru-Glo customer service or their website.

Has anyone used the TFO with Green front and yellow rear? What is your opinion.
    I generally only need to know where my front sight is, but if I were to get the rear-sight don as well, I like the idea of 2 different colors - with green up-front. Personal preference, really.

What is the difference between the TFO and TFX?
    TFO = Tritium Fiber Optic
    TFX = a generation 2 TFO (TFO eXtreme) - the fiber-optic is now sealed within a capsule too, so it's safe from being melted by cleaning solvents.

Is the rear sight adjustable for elevation or windage?
    No, other than tapping it left or right for windage.

Last edited:

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The front sight fiber is really only meant to help you get a snap-impression of where your front sight is - a point of reference for fast shooting; it's NOT a precision aid.

No, other than tapping it left or right for windage.

I can barely see the front sight in some ranges. That's the main reason I wanted to get something else.

I had hoped they were at least adjustable for elevation.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have the same problem with my eyes and sights. I like the fiber optic and they help but would really like some tritium night sights. Make sure you get a matched pair with the proper height on the front sight post.

From an idjit coffeeholic

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Truglo TFO's have a history of not always holding up over the long term. Also, due to the tritium/fiber combo, when the fiber rod breaks and falls out, I don't believe there is a realistic way to replace the rod, so you might be out of luck and have to buy another set of sights. I've seen multiple TFO's break for a variety of reasons, and the front sight design is a weak one due to the overall length, making it easy to accidentally torque the sight to the side. It's unfortunate, because they are nice and bright, and they are an innovative concept. I have no experience with the TFX series from them, so I'm not sure if those are truly more durable or not.

One thing worth considering is a different rear sight configuration. Ultimately, it's all personal preference. For me, I've found that having much of anything on the rear sight (serrations, dots, painted color, etc.) is too distracting, as I simply want to be paying attention to the front sight. So you might consider a plain black rear sight. Also, a U notch rear sight might make for a nice combo, for some people's tastes, especially in combination with the fiber front.

Here's several options that may or may not work for what you want. The main thing to watch out for is rear notch width. Some of the Dawson rear sights have really narrow rear notches, like .120". I would look for something closer to ~.150" wide, as it will be easier to see:

1911 Low Mount Rear Sight - 10-8 Performance Store
    #361TL Ultra Low Mount Ledge Rear Sight Black - Heinie Specialty Products, Inc.
    528-028 Sight/Warren Tactical/RearFix/Novak Cut*/Blk/.150N/Tactical/*Designed to Fit 1911 with Novak Cut/Requires a .175T Front Sight Detail Page
    Dawson Black Adjustable Rear Sights Designed to Fit the Novak Cut Detail Page
    www.dawsonprecision.com SIGHTS REAR:Novak Lo Category

Also, one thing you might give some consideration are Trijicon's HD series sights. They're a tritium sight, but the front has a nice big yellow or orange painted outline, so they are highly visible. They are pricey, but well built and the size configuration they come in might actually work well for anyone with eyesight issues. The front is .144" wide and the rear notch is .169" wide, plus has a U notch that seems to match very well with the large front dot. Here's a good example of what they look like:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The biggest problem I have is the front sight width. Sights are blurry enough that it is hard to see the light on each side of the front blade. If I get a sight blade thin enough, it is hard to see the blade.

From an idjit coffeeholic

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom