• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    And after 11 pages you still have not answered the question. Just dodged it with legal qoutes. So, are we to assume you agree with suspending the Bill Of Rights, in whole or in part, if at dome times it is not deemed enough intrusion or in the greater good?
    As far as intrusions not leading to another intrusion. Just as an example, what's this crap I been hereing about the Second Amendment?
    I have an education, more than most folks think because I sometimes talk like a simple country boy. I am. But one that knows the smell of BS when it gets tossed at him. And the government has been tossing a lot of it the last few decades.
    SCOTUS has reversed it's own decisions before and probably will again.
    Seem to remember some little insignificant thing about illegal gov. spying, not enforcing laws at whim.
    When SCOTUS says it's it technically unconstitutional, but lets it stand because it is only a "little" intrusion "for the greater goog", then it's ok?
    In simple country boy talk,,,, sumpin smells kinda ripe 'round hyar. Oh, don't worry about it, just another little piece of the Constitution died is all. Won't miss such a little piece. It'for your own good. Trust us, we know better.

Citizen.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Seems to come down to two basic positions; those that think it's worth condemning and those that think it best to capitulate. To be fair there are a couple who approve based on their perception of the greater good. It seems most consider it an infringement, the debate appears centered around the response. For my part I consider any infringement unacceptable and conditioned acceptance thereof the enemy of freedom. That said I'll leave it with this

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    And after 11 pages you still have not answered the question. Just dodged it with legal qoutes. So, are we to assume you agree with suspending the Bill Of Rights, in whole or in part, if at dome times it is not deemed enough intrusion or in the greater good?
    As far as intrusions not leading to another intrusion. Just as an example, what's this crap I been hereing about the Second Amendment?
    I have an education, more than most folks think because I sometimes talk like a simple country boy. I am. But one that knows the smell of BS when it gets tossed at him. And the government has been tossing a lot of it the last few decades.
    SCOTUS has reversed it's own decisions before and probably will again.
    Seem to remember some little insignificant thing about illegal gov. spying, not enforcing laws at whim.
    When SCOTUS says it's it technically unconstitutional, but lets it stand because it is only a "little" intrusion "for the greater goog", then it's ok?
    In simple country boy talk,,,, sumpin smells kinda ripe 'round hyar. Oh, don't worry about it, just another little piece of the Constitution died is all. Won't miss such a little piece. It'for your own good. Trust us, we know better.

Citizen.

Hey there have been all kinds of answers you just seem to dislike them. There is no suspension of the bill of rights here. The 4th protects from unreasonable searches and seizures. These checkpoints have been ruled as constitutional. SCOTUS hasn't ruled that it's technically unconstitutional but reasonable for the greater good. but that it's a reasonable intrusion. There is a difference. If you want to complain because SCOTUS made some other decision then do so but that doesn't make every decision made by SCOTUS wrong regardless. Look there has to be some final voice on the subject because there is no was to get everyone to agree on anything. The format out founding Fathers created has SCOTUS as the final word on interpreting the constitution. When they rule that is how it is. That doesn't keep us from changing things or making laws against things that are constitutionally acceptably. If a later court changes things, why then that is how it is at that point. It's not some higher moral ground it's just the law.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Seems to come down to two basic positions; those that think it's worth condemning and those that think it best to capitulate.

You seem to ignore those who think it's not capitulation to comply with a reasonable law. It's like saying stopping at a traffic light is capitulating.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    You seem to ignore those who think it's not capitulation to comply with a reasonable law. It's like saying stopping at a traffic light is capitulating.

No I didn't ignore that, perhaps you overlooked it?
    To be fair there are a couple who approve based on their perception of the greater good.

"Reasonable" is merely an opinion.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I get both sides of the argument. I really do.
    But!

1. We live in a border state, in a country with an immigration problem.
    2. Our neighbors to the South are not going to do anything to help stop it.
    3. The property on the banks of the Rio Grande are, for the most part, privately held.
    4. Travel should be considered a right. Driving on government funded infrastructure should not. We all help pay for these highways. To see them used for illegal purposes (too many to list) seems unreasonable.

wrap up. She said supper's about ready.
    I've been throught these check points. The trucker wasn't singled out. Nor pulled over.
    He came upon a permanent checkpoint. Answer one question and have a good day.
    He must have that newfangled gps/bypass stateline inspection thing. Drive a truck from here to almost any out of state destination and see how many weigh stations and inspection stations you stop at. Laws and regulations, "sometimes", protect us all.

Checkpoints are ok within 100 miles of the border.
    I'm off the fence, and my soapbox.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Hey there have been all kinds of answers you just seem to dislike them. There is no suspension of the bill of rights here. The 4th protects from unreasonable searches and seizures. These checkpoints have been ruled as constitutional. SCOTUS hasn't ruled that it's technically unconstitutional but reasonable for the greater good. but that it's a reasonable intrusion. There is a difference. If you want to complain because SCOTUS made some other decision then do so but that doesn't make every decision made by SCOTUS wrong regardless. Look there has to be some final voice on the subject because there is no was to get everyone to agree on anything. The format out founding Fathers created has SCOTUS as the final word on interpreting the constitution. When they rule that is how it is. That doesn't keep us from changing things or making laws against things that are constitutionally acceptably. If a later court changes things, why then that is how it is at that point. It's not some higher moral ground it's just the law.

What? There you go repeating the same lie again, even after I provided legal papers and historical examples demonstrating that this was never the case.

Now I know you're a troll.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    And I'm not scoring you it's about logic or lack of it that is involved in the argument. You have no logical basis for your claim that any intrusion leads to more. It doesn't. If so are freedoms would have been continuously and regularly decreased with no movement the other way. Your claim is illogical and historically and demonstratively untrue. Right and wrong is not embossed on some yardstick that everyone agreed on. The closest thing we have here in the US is either a religions measure or a constitutional one and by either of those standards you are wrong. If you just don't like it fine. Say "I don't like it " but when you use BS, bad logic, and incorrect arguments in order to try and justify to others your position expect to get a response.

It's not like I think your feelings are wrong. I mean that's how you feel. But as far as arguments for you haven't made a decent one at all.

I can't believe you just defeated your own argument. History has shown, time and time again, that countries do exist on a historical continuum from having large amounts of freedom to very little. Sometimes this happens slowly, like here, or very rapidly, say after communist revolutions, military coups and so on. The continuum only goes one direction, this is a historical fact, and something Orwell recognized in 1984.

I doubt you know anything about logic and argumentation, only how to use words like "fallacy".

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    No I didn't ignore that, perhaps you overlooked it?

"Reasonable" is merely an opinion.
    You said there were two different opinions. The one I mentioned wasn't one of those two and you failed to address my point at all. That's fine don't respond if you don't wish to do so but please don't fake respond. People here respond to comments with just insults or what they believe is a snappy response while dodging any point that may have been made. If one doesn't feel like addressing a counter point then how about just not responding.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    What? There you go repeating the same lie again, even after I provided legal papers and historical examples demonstrating that this was never the case.

Now I know you're a troll.

No I just disagree with your conclusion. On there is no court that can over rule SCOTUS. Scotus is not required to rule on the constitutionality of every case and other courts to rule on constitutionality based on both that courts interpretation and higher courts rulings. That still leaves SCOTUS as the highest court. If they make a ruling there is no court but themselves to over rule them. If there is something you posted that contradicts that then post it because I read your links and they don't In fact they support my position. Look there was quite a battle about how much of a govt our national govt was going to be. Right after the constitution was signed they were fighting over federal authority. That some of the fight lasted until 1914 doesn't invalidate a thing to my mind.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I can't believe you just defeated your own argument. History has shown, time and time again, that countries do exist on a historical continuum from having large amounts of freedom to very little. Sometimes this happens slowly, like here, or very rapidly, say after communist revolutions, military coups and so on. The continuum only goes one direction, this is a historical fact, and something Orwell recognized in 1984.

I doubt you know anything about logic and argumentation, only how to use words like "fallacy".

A better argument but not the one you originally made. That our country may be slowly heading to less freedom is one thing but your claim that any infringement will lead to greater infringement is different. You don't prove one by proclaiming the other.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Reasonable intrusion= it fits an agenda, so we will allow it, and not bother with that pesky document.
    Yes, SCOTUS has the last word acording to the Constitution. They ain't doing what they are supposed and have not for some time.
    TS is right, debsteing a LEO on the side of the road is not a go
    od way to get it done. Unless you have lots of money and time.And no, in a legal arguement I would lose. But just because someone says it's the law and legal, don't make it right.
    Because I did not quote case law, I am wrong and illogical. Need to quit looking at so many books and look at the real world. If people let them, the government will take what it can, little by little. They will justify it any way they can. Until there is nothing left.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Well now, if one infringement did not lead to another, just how
    exactly do you explain the degradation in freedoms?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine
    Top Bottom