• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Picked up some true blue from a gunshow.

Wanted to give it a go as an alternative to power pistol for .45 acp loads.

The stall wanted $40 for a pound, but came down to $35. If I happen to like it is there anywhere drivable from Austin that I could find it cheaper in bulk?
    Venture Surplus ad

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    I started buyin all mine online, got tired of all the local gun shows and shops gouging me.
    Best/joe
    PS Just buy enough to offset hazmat

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    When receiving a hazmat shipment is there anything that makes it obviously hazmat?

I live in an apartment, general deliveries get signed for by the leasing office & put in the store room for later collection. Any large signs or special paperwork?

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    The package should be marked with "ORM-D". This indicates that it is hazardous type material but that in such small "consumer" quantities it poses no significant danger. This would be the same markings that aerosol cans or lighters would be shipped with. It shouldn't require any special or unusual paperwork.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Picked up some true blue from a gunshow.

Wanted to give it a go as an alternative to power pistol for .45 acp loads.

The stall wanted $40 for a pound, but came down to $35. If I happen to like it is there anywhere drivable from Austin that I could find it cheaper in bulk?

True Blue is without a doubt my favorite single handgun powder. I use it in .45 ACP JHP defense loads because of its accuracy, uniformity where my recorded standard deviations run around 6 or 7 with the velocity I need. It's a very low flasher and only a few powders like AA#5 & #7 and fine grained sherical magnum powders meter as well. It's also excellent in my short barrel (2 3/4" Speed-Six) .357 Magnum loads. It will give Match grade accuracy in 9mm as well.

Rather than list all of its attributes, you can read my article on True Blue at the Western Powder's blog, or emag as some of us call it.

I'll provide a link and if the mods think I'm self promoting they can delete this last part. Western Powders, Inc.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Boohahh. you are high. Please verse yourself in hazmat before spewing untrue words about shipping hazmat

So I'm a little confused.

Does it come with subtle markings? Or decontamination suits with sirens?

Nb. Given what I've seen of your price's I'll probably not bother. I'm just curious

Last edited:

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    Boohahh. you are high. Please verse yourself in hazmat before spewing untrue words about shipping hazmat
    I will defer to the expert advice in this post with regards to shipping hazmat. The OP asked about receiving a package though, not shipping one.

So I'm a little confused.

Does it come with subtle markings? Or decontamination suits with sirens?

Sorry about the confusion, if I understood your question correctly though, then I stand by my previous statement. The package will be marked with the "ORM-D" label and nothing more 'special' than that. Be sure to research it yourelf though and don'the take my word for it...I am high after all :clown:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Stuff Leaks out of my lee ppm
    Guess it's not quite the 'perfect' powder measure then. Kinda like BMW being the 'ultimate' driving machine.
    (sorry, just poking fun) :)

I have some .45 ACP stepped power loads I need to put over the chrono. I know it's a proven powder, but being my first time loading it on my equipment, I'm still treating it as a 'new' powder. It meters beautifully and very repeatably on my '650 though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Guess it's not quite the 'perfect' powder measure then.
    That rubber wiper system in that measure, however, makes it the best on the market for huge-grained powders that are next to impossible to meter on tools from other makers. I wouldn't have it as my only meter but I wouldn't be without one.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    I bought a Classic Turret in 08 but not in kit form, Bought the Safety Prime system and Pro AutoDisk PM. It leaked every sherical powder I tried through including W231 and Silhouette which are larger than True Blue, AA#5, #7, #9, Enforcer etc.

It's not all bad because they can only leak to a point. Wasn't like powder was spilling onto the bench or floor. Then afterwards you can just sweep the leaked powder back into its cannister.

Since I don't use flake powders, I sold it to a fella on a reloading forum who does and wanted it knowing all of this. Still use the LEE Powder Through Expander die, but I just throw charges with my Uniflow into a LEE scoop. Cuts the production rate down, but I know my charges are accurate.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Then afterwards you can just sweep the leaked powder back into its cannister.

Can you do that? I recently spilt some power pistol on the reloading bench & came to the conclusion that it was (as you mention above) probably not a good idea to throw it back in the pot. My assumption was any possible contact with oils or cleaning products was a bad idea.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Can you do that? I recently spilt some power pistol on the reloading bench & came to the conclusion that it was (as you mention above) probably not a good idea to throw it back in the pot. My assumption was any possible contact with oils or cleaning products was a bad idea.

Well you don't want the powder to come into contact with a possible contaminant, but in the normal loading process, so long as you don't the powder isn't harmed.

In the case of the sphericals the Pro AutoDisk leaked, I just swepted them back into the canister and had no problems. Not that I recommend it, and RCBS and Hornady make case-activated powder drop systems that will work on the Classic Turret, but they are heavier where the weak link in the Classic Turret, are the plastic parts like the one that clamps around the ram and holds the Auto-Index rod.

For that reason I decided to just drop charges from my Uniflow into a LEE dipper and the pour the powder through the powder-thru-expander die, which is the only LEE die I'd even consider using.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    A couple things, true blue is an awesome powder. Only power pistol matches it is versatility at high velocity but it isn't flash suppressed like true blue. Be-86 is though.

Powder is NOT ORM-D. ORM-D is still a hazardous material, but it enjoys exceptions in 47 CFR in small quantities. It is all similar to LQ, limited quantities that is replacing ORM-D.

When powder shoes up it will have a special form on it with red and white stripes indicating it is a hazmat shipment. It will be marked 1.4S, Explosive on the biz with an orange triangle if properly packed. Most people will not really notice, but it is NOT going to be marked with the ORM-D rectangle.

I think I have some, I'd have to check. I am happy to sell it to you at cost if I have it and let people piggy back on our OEM orders if I have space on the truck. 35 a pound is steep.

Last edited:

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    A couple things, true blue is an awesome powder. Only power pistol matches it is versatility at high velocity but it isn't flash suppressed like true blue. Be-86 is though.

Powder is NOT ORM-D. ORM-D is still a hazardous material, but it enjoys exceptions in 47 CFR in small quantities. It is all similar to LQ, limited quantities that is replacing ORM-D.

When powder shoes up it will have a special form on it with red and white stripes indicating it is a hazmat shipment. It will be marked 1.4S, Explosive on the biz with an orange triangle if properly packed. Most people will not really notice, but it is NOT going to be marked with the ORM-D rectangle.

I think I have some, I'd have to check. I am happy to sell it to you at cost if I have it and let people piggy back on our OEM orders if I have space on the truck. 35 a pound is steep.

Sorry, buddy, but Power Pistol doesn't come close to the versatility of True Blue, IMO. True Blue works in low pressure cartridges like the .45 ACP and gives single digits SDs while capable of doing the same in .454 Casull that has a Max. pressure rating of 65,000 PSI.

True Blue does not have a flash suppressant added and doesn't need it. Silhouette does, and is the powder Winchester sold formerly as WAP, Winchester Action Pistol.

Last edited:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    MSDS shoes potassium nitrate in true blue, that is used to suppress flash in smokeless powder. Tin dioxide is an anti fouling agent, that is in competition and enforcer. Not a chemist but I recall that from a recent article discussing CFE.

I have ample examples of single digit SD from power pistol in 45acp and many other calibers. Take my opinion like I do yours, with a grain of salt.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    MSDS shoes potassium nitrate in true blue, that is used to suppress flash in smokeless powder. Tin dioxide is an anti fouling agent, that is in competition and enforcer. Not a chemist but I recall that from a recent article discussing CFE.

I have ample examples of single digit SD from power pistol in 45acp and many other calibers. Take my opinion like I do yours, with a grain of salt.

Why don't you just take my posts with a grain of potassium nitrate, also known as saltpeter. An additive that goes back to the creation of blackpowder.

No one said that it's not possible to get single-digit SDs with PP, I've seen some recently in 9 X 19mm. Only problem is, those loads will also flash like a flamethrower at night. BE-86 is said to be the flash suppressed version of PP while both are variants of Bullseye.

I thought we were talking about versatility and I would certainly consider metering a consideration where few handgun powders are finer grained than True Blue while it has a bulk density of 935 grams/liter or .935 grams/CC. If you can even find a bulk density rating for PP, along with it being a flake powder, it ain't even gonna be close.

As far as the load range, True Blue came from an OEM powder sold to FNH for their 5.7 X 28mm factory loads which requires a very high degree of pressure stability. Same with the 7.62 X 25mm. There may be guys out there loading both with PP, but I wouldn't be one of them. Ramshot/Western has given data from .380 ACP up to .454 Casull for True Blue with loads running 54,000 PSI and getting single digit SDs in the majority of the loads in all calibers in-between. Don't think I'll be trying to load 54,000 PSI loads in .454 Casull with Power Pistol.

If you like Power Pistol, that's just fine and dandy, but when you say that it's as versatile as True Blue, you might want to consider a few things other than a limited number of single digit SDs in selected calibers. A good example would be loads from mid-range to factory velocity level in magnum revolver cartridges.

Last edited:

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014

Much appreciated, $35 is alright for testing the waters but it's rather steep if I'm going to load a significant amount.

I've been using power pistol up to this point (only powder I had). The flash was fun for a bit, but I'm hoping true blue will be slightly less showy at the range.

Ohh, and I'm not sure what grains to take my post with, lets go with barley cause it's Friday & hence beer is on the mind.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom