Military Camp

Trump looking into revoking security clearances for Brennan, other top Obama officials

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I see no reason they should keep their security clearances. Do you?
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...es-for-brennan-other-top-obama-officials.html

"President Trump is looking into revoking the security clearances of several top Obama-era intelligence and law enforcement officials, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Monday, accusing them of having "politicized" or "monetized" their public service.

"She made the announcement at Monday's press briefing, after Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., called on the president to specifically revoke Trump critic and former CIA Director John Brennan's clearance.

"In an interview with Fox News' "The Story" Monday night, Paul told host Martha MacCallum that Brennan "should not get anywhere within 10,000 yards of the government. He should have a restraining order."
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

gaines67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2018
    Park City
    If only the Obama Admin had done that for Michael Flynn’s security clearance. But alas, government incompetence knows no bounds or party affiliation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    If only the Obama Admin had done that for Michael Flynn’s security clearance.

I think it’s a great idea! Another sure fire winner of an idea from the Trump Administration!

Of course the Democrats will do the same when they take back over the Whitehouse at some point in the future. But that’s OK, it’s probably the way it should work.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just because they have clearances doesn't mean they are seeing classified information. A clearance only allows access to certain levels of intelligence, a person still requires a "need to know" to actually see it.

Also, a person retains their clearance even after they have left the position that requires it. Essentially they are "read out" of whatever clearances they have, in case they ever need to be "read in" again.

I have had a couple of gaps over my lifetime where I was in positions that didn't require access to classified information. I still had my clearance, it just wasn't active.

All that said, a person can be permanently disqualified from having a clearance. Usually that is the result of certain activity that warrants their removal.

Just to note, for many having a clearance is a requirement for their jobs. Remove their clearance, and they lose their jobs. That's my case.

More info on security clearances here: https://www.military.com/veteran-jo...-jobs/introduction-to-security-clearance.html

That website (military.com) has several other informative articles on security clearances in case anyone is interested...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Just because they have clearances doesn't mean they are seeing classified information. A clearance only allows access to certain levels of intelligence, a person still requires a "need to know" to actually see it.

Also, a person retains their clearance even after they have left the position that requires it. Essentially they are "read out" of whatever clearances they have, in case they ever need to be "read in" again.

I have had a couple of gaps over my lifetime where I was in positions that didn't require access to classified information. I still had my clearance, it just wasn't active.

All that said, a person can be permanently disqualified from having a clearance. Usually that is the result of certain activity that warrants their removal.

Just to note, for many having a clearance is a requirement for their jobs. Remove their clearance, and they lose their jobs. That's my case.

More info on security clearances here: https://www.military.com/veteran-jo...-jobs/introduction-to-security-clearance.html

That website (military.com) has several other informative articles on security clearances in case anyone is interested...

I also held a clearance and am (was) familiar with the rules. It is not unusual for a clearance to be pulled when one leaves the employment which necessitated the clearance originally.

These political figures no longer have need to hold a clearance, much less need to know.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "It is not unusual for a clearance to be pulled when one leaves the employment which necessitated the clearance originally."

So why do they 'still' have clearances?

I hope they're pulled immediately if still active.

Some seem to think they aren't, but if not, why all the fuss?

Because...they are still active...but won't be for much longer.

Ha, Ha!

Adios to your security clearance you bunch o'commies...

I read Clappers's book - he 'is' a leftist along with rice, brennan, and the wimpy looking, bald air force general michael hayden.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I also held a clearance and am (was) familiar with the rules. It is not unusual for a clearance to be pulled when one leaves the employment which necessitated the clearance originally.

These political figures no longer have need to hold a clearance, much less need to know.

The clearance doesn't go away, the access does. Big difference. Now that the OPM is converting to a "continuous evaluation" process starting this Fall (as opposed to the five (SCI) or ten (collateral)-year updates), theoretically the new system will allow a person to retain their eligibility indefinitely (whereas currently it expires after an update occurs and a reinvestigation hasn't been accomplished).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The clearance doesn't go away, the access does. Big difference. Now that the OPM is converting to a "continuous evaluation" process starting this Fall (as opposed to the five (SCI) or ten (collateral)-year updates), theoretically the new system will allow a person to retain their eligibility indefinitely (whereas currently it expires after an update occurs and a reinvestigation hasn't been accomplished).

Can't speak to the new system, but back in my day clearances could be closed.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

High level execs like Clapper, Brennan are given regular briefings as requested.

Sounds like you are playing word games. You either have lawful access to classified info or you do not.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    High level execs like Clapper, Brennan are given regular briefings as requested.

In their current positions, they are entitled to access classified information.

Sounds like you are playing word games. You either have lawful access to classified info or you do not.

It's not word games, it's how the system works. Essentially, two things are required to have access to classified information. An adequate clearance for the material, and a need-to-know. Without either, you don't get to see the classified; but you can have a clearance without needing access to any classified information. In fact, a person can have a clearance without being in a billet that requires one.

And at 17:01 on your last day of work, you still had a clearance. It was just no longer active as you were read out of any programs you had access to. But until the current periodic reinvestigation expires, you could have been read back in. Trust me, I've gone through this process numerous times since 1981...

Top Bottom