• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Most just throw it on MLS and let the market run its course. The same effort goes into selling a 200 grand house that goes into selling a 400 grand house. I would put my negotiating skills up against any realtor, in fact I negotiated a better deal than my last realtor when he was ready to take the sellers offer without a counter.

Unfortunately, you're probably not far off, especially the way the market has been in recent years - some will just throw a million-dollar listing on MLS and call it a day. I try to put forth the same effort on all transactions, if for no other reason than a $40k investment condo deal done professionally may result in millions of dollars of business from both the initial client and referrals. Conversely, one of the transactions that took the most of my time - about 80 hours - netted me all of $600 in commission, no further business (despite promises otherwise), and no known referrals (despite promises otherwise). I just try to do the best on every transaction.
    I know a good agent in Austin, she sold my mother's house in RR a few years ago - absolutely professional, mostly does RELO work which requires it. PM me if you'd like her info.

Eli

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I am going to put my house in South Austin on the market around June and move to our Property south of College Station. The market is great for sellers right now. Anyone want a 3400SqFt house in Circle C. I could save a shit ton in realtor fees doing an off market sale.

You could hang around on City-Data and PM/DM folks who are looking(and there's ALWAYS folks who are looking). You can't solicit or offer on the site; but contacting the interested parties Privately or Directly is cool. There are a few realtors who post frequently on the site...some good info there on schools, comps, developments, etc etc.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/

This site would be useful in any of the nine locations listed:
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    God Bless my wife's superficial desires for wanting to build. No shortage of homes being built, just came in, picked a lot, picked a style, and today I signed off on all the "upgrades".

I'm having the counters done after closing and I'll be doing the tile/wood/fixtures/blah blah blah myself.

18 cat5 drops is more expensive than I thought.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    the drops are much cheaper to do when it's being built versus after. after I found out the cost I spent a weekend doing it myself. saved a TON of money.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friend Steve is building a house on land that he bought years ago. The poor man is high strung to begin with, but this process is killing him with worry. I'd rather see a completed house, bid on it and buy it than to go through all of that hassle!

Flash

Terryr21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    Irving/Carrollton
    I have been trying to buy a house in Dallas (From Dallas CBD all the way up to North Dallas) for like 6 months now and the past 3 months I been trying in Plano, Richardson, Los Colinas, & even Frisco! Every offer I put into a house even if it's 10k- 20k over asking price I keep getting outbid by "cash buyers".

I think I am destined to just rent for another couple years. I considered looking into Rockwall, Wylie, Little Elm, Prosper, and any outlier city, but that would make the commute insane.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and moved to Texas in May 2015 from New Jersey. I truly feel your pain after reading your post. I was renting a townhome in Irving while trying to buy a home in pretty much anywhere in the DFW metroplex. Like you it was pretty insane how much I was getting outbid by. But after about 6 months, I got super lucky in which I caught a listing in North Fort Worth (my wife and I loved the home) the evening it came out, going to see it the next morning and putting a full asking price in only to have it immediately accepted since he needed to move to San Antonio for work. Just hang in there and keep your head up.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Friend Steve is building a house on land that he bought years ago. The poor man is high strung to begin with, but this process is killing him with worry. I'd rather see a completed house, bid on it and buy it than to go through all of that hassle!

Flash

I'll never build a home again. It's an absolute nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'll never build a home again. It's an absolute nightmare.

Just expect them to try and cut every corner, and write it in the contract that you will hold 10% retainage on every draw until the house is complete. They will either do it right, or ask to be let out of the contract while you still have enough money to finish it correctly. If you ever let them get ahead of you, things won't end well for you.

1Kennygee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buying a house any where in the DFW area in the last ten years is really crazy! The new road construction and all the new homes being built every where has made getting any where in a reasonable amount of time impossible. What use to be a 25 minute drive to Plano now takes close to 45 min. and You better have GOOD insurance with all the crazy drivers out there. East of Dallas they keep building and the prices keep going up, especially the TAXES.

Fishhooker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Alvarado
    It's not just Dallas that's going crazy. We just closed on a home in Alvarado- on the market for 2 days and we were one of 9 offers.

I feel lucky though- our finance company and buyer's agent were top-notch.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    It's not just Dallas that's going crazy. We just closed on a home in Alvarado- on the market for 2 days and we were one of 9 offers.

I feel lucky though- our finance company and buyer's agent were top-notch.

That's not good news. I'm South of you and have enjoyed the population not coming this direction. Nine offers in two days means folks are heading this way. Curious what general price range you're shopping in so I can get a feel for which market is moving so quickly down here. (feel free to PM the info if you don't want it in the open).

RaggedHole

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Any suggestions for having more success trying to buy in N. Dallas? We are relocating from Spokane, WA but won't be able to make a cash offer. We are kind of in a time crunch to get into contract in the net 60 days and getting a little worried. We are coming down in two weeks to look and be ready to offer on houses but all the inventory in our price range [$300,000-$350,000] seems to be flying off the shelves. My wife's office will be in Addison and we have a 3 & 4 yr old so a family friendly neighborhood with good schools is a must. Currently we are looking in Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Murphy, Plano, & Richardson. Maybe we will have less competition in McKinney...

I have been trying to buy a house in Dallas (From Dallas CBD all the way up to North Dallas) for like 6 months now and the past 3 months I been trying in Plano, Richardson, Los Colinas, & even Frisco! Every offer I put into a house even if it's 10k- 20k over asking price I keep getting outbid by "cash buyers".

I think I am destined to just rent for another couple years. I considered looking into Rockwall, Wylie, Little Elm, Prosper, and any outlier city, but that would make the commute insane.

RaggedHole

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks, that is a great idea and just talked to my realtor about it today. We have done new construction twice and while there is a premium it definitely seems less than the one you would pay in a bidding war...

easiest way might be to rent and get into new construction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    For that price range I would also add little elm to the list. You want the section that uses Frisco as the school district.

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Take a look at Prosper. We bought new in Frisco but are located in the Prosper ISD (school system). Love the school system. Property taxes are outrageous here. My mother in law bought in McKinney and took her 6+ months to finally land a house at $200K. probably the most competitive market. Traffic can be a bear around here.

Last edited:

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Prosper is awesome but I don't think you can touch a house for less than 400k anymore.

Celina just north is still in the 350k range.

dustoffjoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Buying a house anywhere near DFW, north texas area sucks right now. Houses are selling within 24-48 hours of listing, often times with multiple offers.

Top Bottom