Middle of no where
    These Bergara HMRS can be had for under 1k

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've been at odds with myself. I'm trying to decide between a new blot action rifle for hunting and long range shooting. I'm fairly new to hunting, but I've been shooting long range for about a year now. I have a Savage Axis in .308, but I've been wanting to step it up to a caliber that can really reach out and touch something like an Elk at 600 plus yards and still have enough knockdown power to get a clean kill. I've been looking and several different rifles in 300 win mag, 300 PRC, 7MM, and 6.8 western. The rifles in question are the Browning Xbolt speed, Weatherby Vanguard, Bergara B14 Wilderness, and the Christensen Mesa. Budget is around $1500/$1600 so I was thinking $1000-1200 for the rifle, and $500-$300 for a scope. Let me know you opinions.
    First of all welcome to TGT.

Second, do you want to hunt, or shoot long range? entirely two different shooting disciplines, and both require rifles with different capabilities and features.

Another question. You say you want to step up and increase the distance to 600 yards for elk. Have you ever shot a rifle accurately at 600 yards? What is the maximum distance you can shoot accurately at right now? Have you spent any time behind a rifle in those larger more powerful cartridges?

Reason for the questions is important. Stepping up to a larger more powerful cartridge and rifle are not going to make you a more accurate shooter at those longer distances. For some hunters, the complete opposite is true. Hunting isn't target shooting. A miss on a target at 600 yards isn't a big deal. A miss on an animal means a possible wounding of the animal, which is reckless, irresponsible and unethical in the minds of most hunters.

Jordankrgr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2021
    Texas
    I've been shooting .308, and I've shot .270 quite a bit. I've shot up to 400 yards accurately with not much problem. I have recently been stepping it out to further ranges 500 is the max I've shot and hit steal with a .308. I have developed an interest in hunting because of my father in law, but my savage axis is not exactly the best built gun. It has trouble feeding from the mag, and I want to see if I like shooting a bigger caliber.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've been shooting .308, and I've shot .270 quite a bit. I've shot up to 400 yards accurately with not much problem. I have recently been stepping it out to further ranges 500 is the max I've shot and hit steal with a .308. I have developed an interest in hunting because of my father in law, but my savage axis is not exactly the best built gun. It has trouble feeding from the mag, and I want to see if I like shooting a bigger caliber.
    Some of those cartridges you mentioned, unless you reload, they are going to be mighty expensive to shoot. Even the more common ones you mentioned, going with factory premium ammo is going to be expensive. Either start reloading, or fatten up your wallet.

I'll pass on some advice. The only thing that will make you a better shooter at longer ranges is time spent pulling the trigger on the range. Another question. Do you have a range or place to set up to shoot longer distances?

Stepping up to around 600 yards, I'd also suggest upping your scope budget a bit. Getting past 300 to 400 yards, the quality and clarity of the scope becomes much bigger issue, requiring a much better scope. That is if you intend on hitting the target consistently and accurately. We could devote an entire thread just to scope selection for whatever rifle and cartridge you might choose.

Stepping up to a larger and more powerful cartridge, means also dealing with much more recoil as well. A lot of people think they want one, until they shoot one! A couple you mention, will make the 308 and even the 270 seem like a 22 as far as felt recoil. Just something you need to take into consideration. Because it comes back to what I mentioned before. Time spent pulling the trigger to become a more accurate shooter at longer distances.

Jordankrgr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2021
    Texas
    My father in law has a bunch of land in East Texas I go to shoot long range. As of right now I shoot maybe 1 to 2 times a week ammo permitting. What scope would you recommend in a budget of around $500 to $700?

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Definitely get a .30 caliber or larger magnum. I have a .300 Weatherby in all weather configuration. As others have said ammo is pricey. Hell brass is like $1.00 for unfired. I really like my weatherbys. Get the most expensive scope you cannot afford. Most likely for 600 yards you are looking at 1/2 your total budget

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My father in law has a bunch of land in East Texas I go to shoot long range. As of right now I shoot maybe 1 to 2 times a week ammo permitting. What scope would you recommend in a budget of around $500 to $700?
    If I were you, you might want to think about starting a thread devoted entirely to selecting a scope, once you have made your choice in rifle and cartridge.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Definitely get a .30 caliber or larger magnum. I have a .300 Weatherby in all weather configuration. As others have said ammo is pricey. Hell brass is like $1.00 for unfired. I really like my weatherbys. Get the most expensive scope you cannot afford. Most likely for 600 yards you are looking at 1/2 your total budget
    I have a couple of friends that will spend way more on the scope than they do the rifle the scope is going on!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hard to find ammo - even in good times - for some calibers. .300 WinMag is usually available. It's easy to reload (if you decide to go that route.) If you have a heavy rifle, it's not bad recoil.

Remember that you need to spend about 1/2 as much on optics as you do on the rifle if you expect it to perform at it's best.

Take a hard look at the safety system. Can you unload the rifle with the safety engaged? That's one of the problems with the Remington 700 rifles, you have to snap off the safety in order to unload the rifle. For about 25 years, the rifles they made would sometimes fire when you took off the safety. Bad. Winchester Model 70 has a pretty good safety system and several companies are very similar.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been at odds with myself. I'm trying to decide between a new blot action rifle for hunting and long range shooting. I'm fairly new to hunting, but I've been shooting long range for about a year now. I have a Savage Axis in .308, but I've been wanting to step it up to a caliber that can really reach out and touch something like an Elk at 600 plus yards and still have enough knockdown power to get a clean kill. I've been looking and several different rifles in 300 win mag, 300 PRC, 7MM, and 6.8 western. The rifles in question are the Browning Xbolt speed, Weatherby Vanguard, Bergara B14 Wilderness, and the Christensen Mesa. Budget is around $1500/$1600 so I was thinking $1000-1200 for the rifle, and $500-$300 for a scope. Let me know you opinions.
    300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag are going to be the easiest to find commercial ammo for. I haven't shot any of the rifles you've mentioned, but I did look into getting a Bergara at one point. I do not feel that you would find that rifle lacking. They seem to be extremely well made guns.

As for the scope, Vortex makes good scopes in that price range. Look into their Diamondback and Viper series. Vortex stuff also comes with an incredibly good warranty.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I’m less about brand and more about features and quality. First focal plane is a must for me, I probably would sacrifice magnification down to 12x or so for clarity. I’d consider fixed over variable power for clarity. If you’re a moa or mil dot guy, stay with that.

I’d also consider whether it’s worth it to sell my current glass to help buy better glass and swap it across rifles. Yep, it’s a pain in the ass, but I’d hate to have one chance at a low-light, long distance shot shot at an animal and not have a clear image. This is where a good spotting scope can be very helpful in understanding the downrange conditions.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good advice so far.

I'll help ya out and say stay away from the PRC300. It's like a unicorn right now. I have one and like it very much. But can't find ammo and that sucks!

I'd vote for the 300WM. It's proven time and time again with plenty of DOPE to reference. The recoil you'll get out of a lightweight non- muzzle brake rifle will give you CTE. Its tough, you want a light rifle in the mountains, but won't practice due to the high recoil. If you have a little weight to the rifle AND a muzzle brake, you'll be more apt to go practice with it.

I'd go with a Bergara. They are quality... and yes they make their own barrels. https://www.bergara.online/us/about-us/

For optics... I like the forever warranty offered by Vortex & Burris. You in the mountains and drop your rifle, they will get you a replacement scope, no questions asked.

I looked through one of these yesterday and really liked it.

Here is a Burris https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-long-range/xtr-ii-riflescope-4-20x50mm They are what I run on my LR rifles.

I personally would be very hesitant to smoke an elk at that distance. They are crazy strong and bad shot would send it into the next county. But, only you know your abilities. I only say this because of wind. Drop would be no problem, but wind is the key element for LR shooting. You know this, because you shoot LR.

I bet a metal shop could cut ya a full size elk silhouette out and you could paint some vitals on it. From there that'd be a good indicator of your distance.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If they come back in stock.

Top Bottom