TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Tucker Gun Leather Pancake Holster
    Price: $75

4.jpg

I was on the lookout for an OWB holster for my Glock 19 as an optional holster to my IWB holster. My reasons for going with the OWB holster were simple, accessibility and comfort. After looking around and talking to the guys at Tucker Gun Leather, Tucker Gunleather, I decided to go with their pancake style holster.

5.jpg

After a relatively short wait, which is to be expected these days from holster companies that do custom orders, I received my new holster. When I opened the package I was greeted by the familiar smell of tanned leather; quite possibly one of the best smells on Earth to this long-time baseball player, second to pine tar of course. The holster itself is made from cowhide leather with a smooth exterior, smooth interior, and a natural "rough" body side exterior. I opted for the "Black Cherry" finish with white stitching since it gave it a very classy appearance.

My gun might be ugly, but that doesn't mean my holster has to be!

The workmanship looks really nice. After watching how leather holsters are made I have alot of respect for the guys that take the time to craft them. It's not your average bake-n-mold kydex, it takes real skills and a steady hand. I'm more than satisfied with the appearance of the holster.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The gun fits pretty snug in the holster, but not too snug. Even after a few months of usage and a pistol course under it's belt the holster has held up pretty well in the retention department. It's not too uncommon for leather holsters to have too much, or even too little, retention and being an external holster it is one of the most vital aspects of the holster's make-up.

3.jpg

After carrying the holster for a while I've gathered it's strong points and weaknesses, although more of it has to do with the limitations of the holster design itself, rather than the workmanship.

Strong Points
    - Comfortable ... It's as close to open carry as you can get
    - Smells awesome
    - Looks great
    - Easy to put on / take off
    - Lightweight
    - Cant does improve seated / car drawing significantly

Weak Points
    - Gun tends to pull away a bit, increasing printing
    - Not a big fan of cant since I prefer a 3 O'Clock carry (Personal preference)
    - Holster has a tendency to squeak at times

In the end it's a great holster, especially if you need a more comfortable option than the usual hybrid IWB holster. For those of you that drive alot or sit in an office all day, this would be far superior than an IWB holster for comfort and accessibility.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom