turret style press vs. progressive style press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by country_boy, Feb 25, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im looking to upgrade from a single stage press to either one of these presses for reloading. Im leaning towards a 4 hole turret lee press. What would yall recommend?

2. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    Recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press kit. Check with Kempf or Cabela for the kits.

3. 44Mo

44Mo New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    What are you loading - pistol or rifle?
    How many rounds a month are you expecting to load?
    These two items must be considered before buying a press.

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I reload both. 85% pistol than rifle.

I reload about 3 times a month, that single press just takes up a lot of time reloading pistol cases.

5. 44Mo

44Mo New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Well if most of your loading is going to be pistol ammo then a progressive is the only way to go - IMO.
    I load about 90% pistol and 10% rifle and most days at the loading bench I crank out 500 + rounds, so a turret press is just to slow. IMO a turret press is great for cranking out lots of rifle ammo but just too many steps to quickly turn out pistol ammo.
    I'm a old time re-loader and still using an old Hornaday Pro-jector. But one of the best presses I have ever owned. I keep a Lee progressive set up for 9mm only because I feel the Lee's are just to light weight for large case re-loading (44mag, 45LC, ect...)
    IMO a Hornaday or Dillion are the best progressive presses out there.
    Hope this helps and keep loadin them bullets.:fighting0010:

6. Rifleman55

Rifleman55 Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Buy a Dillon and never look back, I use a SDB for my pistol ammo and a Single stage for rifle ammo, I would like a Dillon 650 but cannot justify the expense at this time. A 550 is a good press also.

7. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Im a big lee fan.

I like the lee pro progressive press, being that im on a budget for reloading.

8. oldcop041

oldcop041 New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    Several years ago I had a Lee progressive and liked it. I am getting back into reloading, but I got a Lee Classic Turret this time. I got it set up last night and I think it will handle my reloading needs.
    I believe you can turn out about 150 rounds or better and hour once you get accustomed to the process.
    I am going to load .45ACP, 9mm and .38/.357.
    Maybe I am a dummy (don't ask my wife's opinion on that), but some of the Lee set up instructions are a little vague. They do have a good website and excellent support. Anyway, I got it going without too much trouble.

9. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I thought the instructions were fine when I set up the challenger 50th an. press kit. Although, I use to reload for a living.

10. oldcop041

oldcop041 New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    country boy
    Well - the Challenger is a single stage press! ;)Actually, it was minor stuff. For example, the instructions did not show how to mount the Safety Prime to the turret press. The video showed you use a round washer and the supplied extra long bolt. No extra long bolt and washer were supplied. Turned out that they had changed the mount using a metal spacer, a metal mounting piece and the standard bolt. When I mounted it with the spacer, it was fine. There were a couple of other minor details like that.