• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    There ya go. Very smart young man. Just dump a cup of black coffee down in the residue and stir it up. Thats red eye gravy..right? Its how Granny Clampitt makes it in her famous cookbook I used to have but loaned to somebody who forget to bring it back. Us Texas boys like Pet Milk gravy. Sorry.lol. Book in question has very interesting recipes and a lot of hatfields and mcoys type humor.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18681846-granny-s-hillbilly-cookbook

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    There ya go. Very smart young man. Just dump a cup of black coffee down in the residue and stir it up. Thats red eye gravy..right? Its how Granny Clampitt makes it in her famous cookbook I used to have but loaned to somebody who forget to bring it back. Us Texas boys like Pet Milk gravy. Sorry.lol. Book in question has very interesting recipes and a lot of hatfields and mcoys type humor.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18681846-granny-s-hillbilly-cookbook
    I don’t think you should say “us Texas boys” there. Pet milk is way too sweet for good gravy.

ETA: Stupid auto-correct. Should say Texas Boys.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There ya go. Very smart young man. Just dump a cup of black coffee down in the residue and stir it up. Thats red eye gravy..right? lol. Us Texas boys like Pet Milk gravy. Sorry.lol.
    Red eye is poverty gravy.

Wow Pet Milk my grandmother always had that as do I. The pet milk went in her coffee or was used to make waffles. My granny never had fresh milk in her fridge, as it just get lost behind the Schlitz Beer. Drinks were very limited to whisky, schnapps, Schlitz beer, water & 7 up or coffee. As a kid cutting her grass I always had a beer or 2 with her afterwards.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I don’t think you should say “us Texas BYU’s” there. Pet milk is way too sweet for good gravy.
    Well it aint too sweet for me. Cant hardly eat sausage gravy that dont have it. In fact I was a Pet Milk baby. I did not like to suckle live udders back in the day so my Mama said. So I got Pet Milk in the baby bottle. You speaking of BYU as in Utah? Thanks.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Well it aint too sweet for me. Cant hardly eat sausage gravy that dont have it. In fact I was a Pet Milk baby. I did not like to suckle live udders back in the day so my Mama said. So I got Pet Milk in the baby bottle. You speaking of BYU as in Utah? Thanks.
    Stupid auto correct.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yes pet milk is sweet, but pet milk is nothing but evaporated milk. Equal parts Pet Milk & water makes it less sweet. Besides gravy needs lots of pepper be it black or black & red. I keep a jar of Better then Boullion chicken base around just to kick up my cream gravy flavor a bit if no sausage is in it! Then again I'll throw sage in my non sausage gravy to trick my brain.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Well I ain’t used to this line of reasoning. Condensed milk mixed with an equal amount of water makes whole milk on anybody’s scale. Whatever other things a person can use it for is only limited by the imagination. For example it’s an essential ingredient in my famous clone of Irish Cream. Not that anybody likes that.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Yep...thats it. If the grease is composed of some type of bacon or sausage fat we can eat it. What is up with these East Texas grit eaters who think gravy should taste like a dead chicken? It just aint right.
    It don’t gotta be bacon or sausage. It could be the left over grease from making chicken fried steak, chicken fried venison, or fried chicken.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    That’s true Difference between breakfast and supper gravy. lol. Guess we never lived close enough to the Sabine to acquire a taste for red eye gravy. I have only recently discovered I can eat a few grits without heaving...as long as they have a lot of cheese..japs and shrimp

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How true. If the store will sell it in the cryo they can last for years in the typical home freezer.
    Wait until after Easter you most likely will find hams marked down before they go out of date again. I would suggest the next one you re-smoke not being a spiral sliced. Always buy the butt portion too. Trim the entire outside of the ham before you re-smoke so you get better smoke penetration. The trim can be used in a pot of beans s you don't waste anything.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom