• ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Hey y'all,

I am looking to get my CHL. Been so swamped lately it's hard for me to schedule a Saturday to do this, but I know I need to do it soon. So my question is: How long does it take between submitting your documents to the state and when you got your CHL in hand? I ask because I'm taking the family on a trip to Ohio in June/July and I want to be able to carry with me. I know the states we drive through share reciprocity with Texas CHL, but I don't think they all let you drive with a concealed weapon without a license (like you can in Texas). Anyway, it's time I get my CHL anyway, but I want to know the latest I can take a course and get it on time.

Secondly, for you Austin area guys, has anyone taken the course that seems to be sponsored by GT Distributors? They seem to have them every month and are considerably cheaper than most courses, so I wasn't sure if it's a good course or not. Anyone have recommendations for a course here?

Thanks,

j
    Venture Surplus ad

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    You are aware that Ohio does not honor the Texas CHL, aren't you?

Also "unloaded" in Ohio means: "No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question."

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's the most confusing wording I have ever seen as to where ammunition CAN be in the vehicle

in question.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Wife and I did the CHL thing in Jul '11 and got our permits three weeks later, with mine arriving two days earlier than hers.

The very worst part of the process was the heat and humidity of mid summer!

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I submitted my paperwork and according to the tracking number, DPS received it on 2/13. I called DPS last week to get an update and they told me that with the large influx of applications, it could be around May before I actually receive my license. Hope it gets here by then, because I'm taking a trip to Colorado in June.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    You are aware that Ohio does not honor the Texas CHL, aren't you?

Also "unloaded" in Ohio means: "No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question."

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Uggghhhh, I knew I left that craphole for a reason. It pains me to go back, but both mine and my wife's families are up there. Can't fight it :(

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Uggghhhh, I knew I left that craphole for a reason. It pains me to go back, but both mine and my wife's families are up there. Can't fight it :(

If you have the time, TX CHL plus Utah non-resident will cover you there and everything in between (unless you go through ILL-Annoy, of course).

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    As of today I am on week five of my wait after mailing everything in, and also having the online application process started prior to mailing in the docs.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Unfortunately don't have the time to do the CHL AND the out of state idea as mentioned... I should do the course anyway, but unfortunately sounds like I won't be able to carry in Ohio. So lame. Stupid state. Funny how I can go online and take a 1 hour course and get an out of state CHL and be recognized in Ohio. But taking a 12 hour course with a range exam is not acceptable.

9mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I submitted my paperwork and according to the tracking number, DPS received it on 2/13. I called DPS last week to get an update and they told me that with the large influx of applications, it could be around May before I actually receive my license. Hope it gets here by then, because I'm taking a trip to Colorado in June.

My buddy submitted feb 1st got his yesterday... DPS received mine 2/14 and the web site still has no updates.. I'll be interested when you get yours compared to me since we are just a day apart.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Undoubtedly a canned response using the 90 days allowed by law. YMMV

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    My buddy submitted feb 1st got his yesterday... DPS received mine 2/14 and the web site still has no updates.. I'll be interested when you get yours compared to me since we are just a day apart.

Yea, the site has no updates for mine either. I'll let you know when I get mine, hopefully the lead time for ours will be similar to your buddy's!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Which is why the word started is included. In no way did my post imply that the entire process would be completed after submitting the online application.

Doesn't change what I wrote, or how it relates to your post. DPS does not do anything with your online application until they receive all of your paperwork. Your post insinuates that there is some benefit to having your online application done before sending in your paperwork, when, in fact, that is the only method .

Top Bottom