Tx license in New Mexico and Colorado

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by erndog105, Jan 11, 2009.

1. erndog105

erndog105 New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I plan on driving from Austin to Durango, through new mexico. Does anyone have any experience dealing with local authorities (highway Patrol) whole driving with a gun in the car, not on person?
    Any suggestions?

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Never driven thru NM, but we have reciprocity with them. Check their laws to see if you have to inform upon being stopped;

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/docs/10.8.2NMAC_17Nov05.pdf

3. DILLON1980

DILLON1980 New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Houston
  4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    ....assuming he has a CHL.

If not, you need to look at their laws regarding carrying in your car. Most have "safe passage" laws in effect, I think they're referred to, which says, if you're passing through, no problem, just keep on going.

The best bet, jut don't do anything that'll get you searched or give them reason to ask.

5. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I traveled through NM last year with no encounters. However, I was warned by the locals that several sections of interstate pass through reservations where state laws don't necessarily apply. I can't confirm, but they said reciprocity was not in effect on the reservations.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If you stay on an interstate HWY, wouldn't you be fine?

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I don't know. I was told (and this is hearsay from the locals) that the 'native American' police patrol the highways in the reservations, and they have their own laws. There are definitely large signs along the interstates telling you that you're entering or leaving a reservation.