• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    And buy ammo. I think the plan is for Texas to fight the ruling all the way to SCOTUS so that it becomes universal and not just Texas. If Texas doesn't fight it than it just applies to Texas.

I hope your 4D chess theory is correct, and it isn't just state RINOs fighting 2A rights
    Venture Surplus ad

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Today, AG Ken Paxton withdrew his appeal against the Pittman decision that 18 to 20 yo do have a constitutional right to carry, acknowledging said decision is correct.

Said action limits the scope of the decision to Texas.

It also allows the decision to be used as precedent in other districts. Doing so in a place like the 9th District (Kommifornia & other dumps) could trigger a referral to SCOTUS....

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

Ladies & Gents,

The way I read this is that “Dan Patrick” is a Bad Guy.

Having grown-up in an adjacent State in which it was NEVER illegal for 18yo’s to “O.C.”; I don’t believe that concern over this issue is warranted.

In fact I often O C’d a 1911 at age 16 or 17, and no-one paid any attention to it. Just as we all carried razor sharp pocketknives, everywhere, with zero incident.

But it is vital that everyone non-criminal retain their real constitutional protections.

Please recall that young CRIMINALS in all states now carry concealed, with little penalty enforcement.

Look at London, with massive restrictions on all citiz; err, SUBJECTS’ carry of various items from guns & knives, to hammers, wrenches, & even umbrellas.
    A true Police State, but with serious problems of in-public violent attacks on elders.

Our current “problem” is dilution of morals, lack of self-control, and inadequate courts attention to early-career criminal activity in “youth”.

It is looking more & more that We the People will need to enforce our Constitution ourselves, as all of our institutions exhibit increasing leftist corruption.

Oh, and, “Merry Christmas !”

leVieux

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Several recent comments on this topic make the same point offered by this lawyer on the Four Boxes Diner YouTube Channel.

Not being a lawyer [is that a good thing?] the explanation made my brain hurt. Bottom line whichever way the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals rules either Texas or the plantiffs (Firearms Policy Coalition) could take the case eventually to SCOTUS. And considering the recent Bruen decision I would guess the Supremes would find that 18-20 year olds are adults and have 2A rights to carry nationwide. Not just in Texas as the Ft Worth judge's ruling only applied here.

If the federal courts ruled such that 18-20 yrs can carry in TX and maybe other states we would not have to wait on politicians to vote to change the law. Which is not a bad outcome especially for states/cities with elected officials that would never vote to improve 2A rights. So as the Four Boxes Diner says this is good thing for the overall impact it could have nationwide.

For Texas I expect we will have to wait on the federal courts decision as I doubt the current leaders (if reelected) would take up lowering the age limits. They might eventually but remember how long it took to get constitutional carry passed.
    Doug, your posts are very good.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    >

Ladies & Gents,

The way I read this is that “Dan Patrick” is a Bad Guy.

Having grown-up in an adjacent State in which it was NEVER illegal for 18yo’s to “O.C.”; I don’t believe that concern over this issue is warranted.

In fact I often O C’d a 1911 at age 16 or 17, and no-one paid any attention to it. Just as we all carried razor sharp pocketknives, everywhere, with zero incident.

But it is vital that everyone non-criminal retain their real constitutional protections.

Please recall that young CRIMINALS in all states now carry concealed, with little penalty enforcement.

Look at London, with massive restrictions on all citiz; err, SUBJECTS’ carry of various items from guns & knives, to hammers, wrenches, & even umbrellas.
    A true Police State, but with serious problems of in-public violent attacks on elders.

Our current “problem” is dilution of morals, lack of self-control, and inadequate courts attention to early-career criminal activity in “youth”.

It is looking more & more that We the People will need to enforce our Constitution ourselves, as all of our institutions exhibit increasing leftist corruption.

Oh, and, “Merry Christmas !”

leVieux

He is a bad guy for even filing a challenge to the ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

College campuses more dangerous now that state is issuing handgun licenses to young adults says Dallas Morning New editorial

My letter to the editor follows:

The DMN's editorial stated that a "...recent report by our newsroom colleague Allie Morris that the Texas Department of Public Safety has begun issuing licenses to publicly carry handguns to 18-to-20-year-olds is so alarming." Why do you argue that legal adults (18+ years old) shouldn't be allowed their Second Amendment right. As a nation we don't deny constitutional rights such as freedom of speech, worship, assembly etc. due to someone's age. Besides the criminal minors and adults are still going to get a gun and only the lawful and responsible 18-20 year old would be unarmed. The outcome at Michigan State University campus shooting in Feb 2023 might have been different but MI doesn't allow legal residents under 21 to carry on any campus. Michigan created an undefended killing zone for the shooter.

p.s. they have a circulation of about 64K now. the paper has been anti-2A since way back in 1990s when concealed carry was being proposed. at least they are consistent

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

College campuses more dangerous now that state is issuing handgun licenses to young adults says Dallas Morning New editorial

My letter to the editor follows:

The DMN's editorial stated that a "...recent report by our newsroom colleague Allie Morris that the Texas Department of Public Safety has begun issuing licenses to publicly carry handguns to 18-to-20-year-olds is so alarming." Why do you argue that legal adults (18+ years old) shouldn't be allowed their Second Amendment right. As a nation we don't deny constitutional rights such as freedom of speech, worship, assembly etc. due to someone's age. Besides the criminal minors and adults are still going to get a gun and only the lawful and responsible 18-20 year old would be unarmed. The outcome at Michigan State University campus shooting in Feb 2023 might have been different but MI doesn't allow legal residents under 21 to carry on any campus. Michigan created an undefended killing zone for the shooter.

p.s. they have a circulation of about 64K now. the paper has been anti-2A since way back in 1990s when concealed carry was being proposed. at least they are consistent

Who would've guessed a bunch of hang wringing academics who hate guns would be afraid of responsible adults arming themselves to protect against the thugs said hand wringers love so much?

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The Bearing Arms blog picked up my point of view earlier that Dallas Morning News is clutching their pearls (going full Chicken Little) over letting adults 18+ possessing a firearm.

Case in point the Dallas Morning News from the get go was against CHL back in 90s and every advancement to 2A for Texans. Anybody notice or even seen much in the way of open carry since 2015. Or how about the carnage in the streets if any lawful and responsible resident choose to carry without asking permission for last 18 months.

Attachments

• dfe9aa6d-fb50-408c-b38b-d441935632bb-860x475.jpg
      dfe9aa6d-fb50-408c-b38b-d441935632bb-860x475.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 39

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    While one court grants another court takes away. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (3-0) upheld FL's law baring 18-20 years from buying firearms reported by the Four Boxes Diner channel. Presenter explains why this is bad and the faults in the court's opinion. He also speculates on what happens next from FL eliminating law or going to Supreme Court.

Attachments

• 11th circuit.jpg
      11th circuit.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 37
    • Sad
    Reactions: gll

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    While one court grants another court takes away. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (3-0) upheld FL's law baring 18-20 years from buying firearms reported by the Four Boxes Diner channel. Presenter explains why this is bad and the faults in the court's opinion. He also speculates on what happens next from FL eliminating law or going to Supreme Court.

This *could* be a good thing. Lemme play debil's advocate for a second:

We have a Fed court ruling from Texas, stating that 18-20 year olds have a right to carry (duh)

Now this Floriduuuh court says "Well, nope"

Now we have two opposing district courts issuing 180 degree rulings from one another. That sets up a need for SCOTUS to intervene and settle the issue.

In light of NYSRPA v Bruen - when looking at text, history, and tradition dating back to ratification in 1791 - 18 to 20 year olds were not generally banned from carrying arms - shit, at 17 to 20 you were an adult and expected to be married off and raising a family at that point, and you'd probably been working for years. None of this coddling nonsense that we see well into the late 20's for many today.

This could wind up becoming a major victory for us (or yes, a major defeat) and establishing nation-wide carry for *all* adults 18+, and depending on the scope of the justices' ruling, or the arguments necessitating it - could wind up giving us nation-wide Constitutional Carry.

I'm not saying hold your breath, but when you get two opposing district courts ruling like this - the issue becomes bigger than the district courts or the circuit courts. The issue must be settled by SCOTUS eventually.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Right on. What you and Four Boxes Diner have described is one of the scenarios how the matter may be settled. We and many others will have to wait and see how this develops.

BTW: another outcome is case appealed to full (12 active judges) rather than the three who ruled. See who nominated them and speculate how the full court would rule.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Right after posting the above comment, Four Boxes Diner reported that a judge in 11th Circuit has asked for a poll on the opinion by the other 3 judges. I guess if a majority on the other judges agree they can vote to all judge the appeal and not let it get up or down in system. More news later.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    While 11th Circuit may overrule the current FL law banning 18-20 from having a firearm the legislature may do it for them.

A group just introduced the Minimum Age for Firearm Purchase or Transfer Act, which would lower the age to purchase a firearm in Florida back down to 18. The bill is being pushed by state Representatives Bobby Payne, Tyler Sirois, Randy Fine, Ralph Massullo, and Bob Rommel.

Top Bottom