• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's rather interesting. Wonder how taxis play in since the government typically sets their fares. Are they then a governmental service?
    I don't follow that at all. I have been an independent contractor before. The rates that customers were charged were "fixed" by the company that hired me for the work. Of course they were billing the customers more than they were paying me, but I also didn't have to worry about finding and retaining clients. That's how subcontracting works...
    Guns International

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Yes. I have only been here 35 years.

So you are new to Austin then. :banana:

Having been here more than a year, how could you side with ACC? I don't trust businesses either but man, they are just...bad.*

*Fair notice, this is from someone who lives in Williamson County. While we think you're all a bit cuckoo we miss the hippies and hippy places that have been replaced by California hipsters. When you've had all you can stand, we're taking volunteers to stand the Great Cedar Park Anti Californian Zombie Wall in Leander. Cedar Park, protecting Texas against hipsters since 1885.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Having been here more than a year, how could you side with ACC? I don't trust businesses either but man, they are just...bad.

As I said in my first post, I have worked with Morrison on several City issues and I trust her judgement. I don't trust Uber.

Also, Leffingwell, our previous mayor, turned out to be the worst as it pertains to Austin's rampant development and annexation. And he says he is for Prop 1, which makes me want to be against it.

I don't understand exactly how it happened, but AIUI the Prop 1 language was advanced by Uber and Lyft, not the city. Also, AIUI, the City wants more complete background checks than what Uber and Lyft have put into the Prop 1 language.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I find it very repugnant that the City of Austin has over 2,000 untested rape kits yet these scurrilous cocksuckers find time to get in front of a microphone and a camera and talk about regulation of fucking ride sharing drivers for the sake of safety.

**** every last one of them with an AIDS infected cactus.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I find it very repugnant that the City of Austin has over 2,000 untested rape kits yet these scurrilous $#@!s find time to get in front of a microphone and a camera and talk about regulation of $#@!ing ride sharing drivers for the sake of safety.

$#@! every last one of them with an AIDS infected cactus.

OW!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't understand exactly how it happened, but AIUI the Prop 1 language was advanced by Uber and Lyft, not the city. Also, AIUI, the City wants more complete background checks than what Uber and Lyft have put into the Prop 1 language.

Uber/Lyft circulated a petition to call for a vote to roll back a second set of laws promulgated by the city council. The first set included some basic responsibilities, the second set were, IMHO, overbearing in their requirements on private companies. There was a separate suit about the language on the ballot, with Uber/Lyft arguing that the city council, who drafted the ballot language, did so in a way to sway voters to their petition by intentionally leaving out some of the positive changes that had been reversed ($.10/ride to "ADA compliance" for disabled access, etc.). Uber/Lyft lost that fight at the Texas Supreme Court level.

I am continually disgusted with a city council that refuses to face real issues, instead saving us from plastic bags and competitive threats to taxis.

A vote FOR Prop 1 rolls back the second set of restrictions, leaving background checks in place as performed by Uber and Lyft, and negates the creation of additional city bureaucracy to do something private companies are already doing. That alone is why I'll vote FOR Prop 1.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am continually disgusted with a city council that refuses to face real issues, instead saving us from plastic bags and competitive threats to taxis.

I certainly don't disagree with you there. But was the way Uber/Lyft did things when they first came to town that PO'd everyone on the city side and now it has turned into this huge pissing contest by both sides. And Uber/Lyft have the better lawyers; although, they did lose the case at TSC.

..... and negates the creation of additional city bureaucracy to do something private companies are already doing.

So says Uber/Lyft, but I haven't yet figured out if that is true or not, but I haven't looked too hard.

BTW: Prop 1 is the only thing on the May 7 ballot for Austin.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom