Unrealistic expectations in auto repair - RANT!

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by M. Sage, Apr 30, 2009.

1. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    When dropping off a 40+ year old car that hasn't even been touched in 10 years, you have to do a few things.

1: Attach a blank check to the car. Otherwise, don't even waste my time!

2: Do not attach a time frame to the car. It will be done when it's done; it's not easy finding parts for ancient vehicles and there will be layers of "broken" on project like this.

3: Do not call every day asking "is it done yet? Is it done yet?" See #2. Again, I'll fix one thing and find two more things. That's how it goes.

If you have an ancient jalopy that's sat in a barn for a decade or more and can't abide by those three simple rules, don't bring it to me. Either fix it yourself, sell it to someone else, or tow it to the junkyard.

Oh, that brings me to #4: When you try fixing the car yourself and fail, the first three rules still apply.

:hammerhead:

The last two weeks at work have sucked. I don't want to see that little British POS car again... but I know I will, since it ain't fixed because the customer's budget and time frame were wildly unrealistic! :hammerhead:

2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    So, is it done yet? :lolz:

3. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Is it done yet?

Come on, its gotta be done yet!

4. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh yeah. We shipped it out yesterday. And got a call "hey, stuff is still not right". No kidding, pal.

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    That's why when I had my shop I drank real heavy.
    The work was fine but the customer side SUCKED!!!!
    I am sure I am preaching to the choir.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What exactly is the vehicle if I may ask?

7. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd rather not say exactly. It would suck to have this get back to me, but think late-60s (up until 1980 or so!), British, small, iconic and notorious for being unreliable.

MadMo: There's a reason I've resisted every offer to put me in the front office of a shop. I can deal with cars, but people drive me up the wall sometimes.

And today I took up a job on a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud, too. I'm a glutton for punishment this past few weeks... at least the Rolls runs.

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Which cars in that time frame were not a pain?

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is true...

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Thats why I love working fr the government although some police officers can be that way. They will bring their car in for a/c but the brakes are metal to metal and there are other problems but still they call every day or come buy and ask the question.