• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My friends daughter ran over an otter on the road near you.
    we have seen a dead one before too. No idea where they are coming from. My guess is they follow the streams off of one of the big lakes but thats a ways off. Plenty of downed trees for them to build a dam with
    Capitol Armory ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    <>
    Red foxes are common; the silver or gray foxes are pretty rare. I’ve seen only gray fox and it was in a town.

Red foxes aren't so common in Texas, but grey foxes are pretty common - at least in the Hill Country. This one used to come up and watch me grill at my dad's place. He had a mate and a litter of kits down the hill from the back yard. We'd see them sometimes, but they never approached as close as the male did.

I'm sure they've fled with all the crap the new owners are doing to the place...if they weren't killed outright.

20170312_152611.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I was hunting up on the Double Mountain fork of the Brazos and saw a huge deer.
    It had markings of a white tail and mule deer antlers.
    I didn't shoot it. When I described it to a game warden he said it's a hybrid.
    White tail bucks breed mule deer does. The offspring are sterile.
    I asked what tag should be used. He said either one. They wouldn't argue either way.
    I should have shot it.
    A game warden told me that those offspring usually have genetic issues and don't live long either

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Red foxes aren't so common in Texas, but grey foxes are pretty common - at least in the Hill Country. This one used to come up and watch me grill at my dad's place. He had a mate and a litter of kits down the hill from the back yard. We'd see them sometimes, but they never approached as close as the male did.

I'm sure they've fled with all the crap the new owners are doing to the place...if they weren't killed outright.

View attachment 376167
    <>

Several years ago we were dove hunting in an orange grove next to a sorghum field near Weslaco. Broad daylight, a red fox popped up b/t Wife’s feet not realizing she was there, she just froze until it walked-off.

The pic above looks more like a color phase of a red fox. The gray fox I saw years back had no red or dark brown. Then again, I’m no fox taxonomist.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

View attachment 376167
    Have seen red foxes many a time in West Texas.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

What happened last night is that I was under an elevated box deer blind facing a feeder some 90M in front. Hoping for feral hogs.

A raccoon walked out from behind me into the pasture, upwind. The coon was obviously concerned about something upwind of hm off to my right. Coon kept standing up and looking, so I knew something else was over there.

A black animal came out of woods briefly, so I figured a hog & reached for rifle. He disappeared, then, a couple minutes later came again, backside to me.

Trying to turn to put scope on it, he suddenly turned & gave me a profile and I realized it wasn’t a hog or a calf. When it started to walk agin, it lifted its head & I could tell it was a small bear.

Neither noticed me.

I couldn’t believe my eyes, so I called a Game Biologist Friend and learned that bear sightings were not uncommon in this area.

Of course, they are protected. From reading, they come from West Texas, Mexico, or from the restocking programs in nearby AK & LA.

My Buddy ran his game camera pics, but no little bear.

So, BOLO for little black bear in the Hill Country.

leVieux

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Was talking to a neighbor over the fence on Thurs when a gray fox walked up about 50ft behind me. The neighbor and my 12 yo border collie Buddy, saw it about the same time; Buddy was gaining on it when we lost sight of them in the trees and going over a hill. Thought Buddy might tree it, but he was back in a few minutes..., probably ran up against a fence.

Friday, Buddy couldn't lift his old arthritic ass off the floor, but he has mostly recovered to his normal self.

I know he hurts, I can see the tremors, but he still makes our 2x 2 mile walks every day...

I see gray fox regularly, especially on game cams, but it has been many years since I saw a red fox out here in western Bandera County.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Was talking to a neighbor over the fence on Thurs when a gray fox walked up about 50ft behind me. The neighbor and my 12 yo border collie Buddy, saw it about the same time; Buddy was gaining on it when we lost sight of them in the trees and going over a hill. Thought Buddy might tree it, but he was back in a few minutes..., probably ran up against a fence.

Friday, Buddy couldn't lift his old arthritic ass off the floor, but he has mostly recovered to his normal self.

I know he hurts, I can see the tremors, but he still makes our 2x 2 mile walks every day...

I see gray fox regularly, especially on game cams, but it has been many years since I saw a red fox out here in western Bandera County.
    <>
    see: https://a-z-animals.com/blog/grey-fox-vs-red-fox-what-are-the-differences/.

but,

IIRC, the Gray Fox I saw 60 years back was all gray, no red or dark brown. I had first thought it a cat at distance.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

View attachment 376167
    <>

Looked it up, and you are likely correct. see: https://a-z-animals.com/blog/grey-fox-vs-red-fox-what-are-the-differences/

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Yeah, my sister and I had a multi-year friendshp with that fox and his mate. Their coloring was consistent, always as pictured. Not all grey foxes have the red accents, but it's not unusual.

I even accidentally caught him once in a humane raccoon trap - he was not pleased. It was my first encounter with him and I got a good, up-close look at him. Once he was out of the trap, he ran about 20 feet, stopped, looked back at me, and ran up the hill to the neighbor's property. He must've gotten over it since he moved his den closer to the house a year or so later. I'm fairly certain it was the same fox.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Now that I think about it, I have encountered one red fox since I moved up to NE Texas. It ran across the street in front of me in the middle of Kemp. Which is not a huge town at all, so not too surprising. At that same spot by the intermediate school I've also had to slow down for deer and coyotes.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Not in Texas, but a bow hunter showed me a photo he took during early archery season next door, in a swamp b/t the Mississippi & Atchafalaya Rivers.

It was a large bull ELK.

Only thing he figured was that it must have escaped from someone’s game farm. Was a really big one. Looked strange in the surrounding cypress trees & “Spanish” moss.

Top Bottom