Texas SOT

[UPDATED] Seeking perspective on a situation my neighbor is going through...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neighbor was charged for drawing a firearm. Looking for perspective.

• The aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge was appropriate.

Votes: 10 32.3%
    • Drawing his gun would have been fine, had he not pointed it at the husband.

Votes: 6 19.4%
    • It was complete self defense and he should not had been charged.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    The chasing and stopping the car. Was over when the husband shows up and started acting aggressively verbally threatening to kick ass. The young man was wrong for the chase and the husband is wrong for acting like a fool and is lucky he didn't get shot.
    So let’s spin this around…..

You get a call from your wife. She’s in her car pinned down from going anywhere by two men. What are you going to do, and how are you going to respond?

I’m thinking I’m going in pretty hot. When dipshit tells me my wife hit his car, you think I give a shit? He and his father chase her down and pin the car in? How about take a pic of the plate and call a cop.

More I think about this, I hope this kids feels his stupidity. Lady hit and run needs her punishment too, got it, but what if she feared for her safety? Not an implausible thought.

This comes from a guy with a wife and two daughters. I get a call and respond to this type situation, I’m too old and hurt to fight…

The 21 year old was concerned about his property. Husband was concerned about wife. Which one is covered by insurance???

ETA: Let’s assume, for the sake of argument, that you love your wife in my scenario above…LOL! I could probably get answers that relate to a less than amicable relationship…LOL!
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

You get a call from your wife. She’s in her car pinned down from going anywhere by two men. What are you going to do, and how are you going to respond?

I’m thinking I’m going in pretty hot. When dipshit tells me my wife hit his car, you think I give a shit? He and his father chase her down and pin the car in? How about take a pic of the plate and call a cop.

More I think about this, I hope this kids feels his stupidity. Lady hit and run needs her punishment too, got it, but what if she feared for her safety? Not an implausible thought.

This comes from a guy with a wife and two daughters. I get a call and respond to this type situation, I’m too old and hurt to fight…

The 21 year old was concerned about his property. Husband was concerned about wife. Which one is covered by insurance???

ETA: Let’s assume, for the sake of argument, that you love your wife in my scenario above…LOL! I could probably get answers that relate to a less than amicable relationship…LOL!
    Exactly. You can sure as hell bet she was on the phone telling the husband two crazy guys are chasing her.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The chasing and stopping the car. Was over when the husband shows up and started acting aggressively verbally threatening to kick ass. The young man was wrong for the chase and the husband is wrong for acting like a fool and is lucky he didn't get shot.
    No its not. Not until they remove themselves from the situation and attempt to break off the interaction are they clean from their prior actions. Until then they initiated the conflict, i.e. provoked the interaction and did not abandon the encounter.

Their ability to assert any self defense claim is severely limited because of their actions. Their protection under any stand your ground statutes is dubious at best. This is specifically addressed in the law. They also arent justified if they are committing a crime which could easily be asserted by their chasing her down and holding her not being justified or flat out illegal depending on circumstances.

Also

Threatening to kick ones ass IS NOT IN AND OF ITSELF IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM DEADLY FORCE. Thinking it is, is in my opinion, recklessly and willfully ignorant and causes all ones decisions from there on out to be fatally flawed.

As I said before, the line between defensive display and agg assault or assault with a deadly weapon is razor thin and requires justification this kid did not have.

Since all parties were terminally retarded in their decision making I truly hope this kid gets to learn from this and it not end up being a life altering event.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

^^^^This!^^^^

I'm thinking just as her husband probably did, I'm fixing to kick some ass! Most any husband in that same scenario is going to defend his wife, regardless of what she may or may not have done.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    No its not. Not until they remove themselves from the situation and attempt to break off the interaction are they clean from their prior actions. Until then they initiated the conflict, i.e. provoked the interaction and did not abandon the encounter.

Their ability to assert any self defense claim is severely limited because of their actions. Their protection under any stand your ground statutes is dubious at best. This is specifically addressed in the law. They also arent justified if they are committing a crime which could easily be asserted by their chasing her down and holding her not being justified or flat out illegal depending on circumstances.

Also

Threatening to kick ones ass IS NOT IN AND OF ITSELF IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM DEADLY FORCE. Thinking it is, is in my opinion, recklessly and willfully ignorant and causes all ones decisions from there on out to be fatally flawed.

As I said before, the line between defensive display and agg assault or assault with a deadly weapon is razor thin and requires justification this kid did not have.

Since all parties were terminally retarded in their decision making I truly hope this kid gets to learn from this and it not end up being a life altering event.
    Well stated @candcallen !

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    I feel like I am missing something that everyone else seems to be assuming. I didn't see anything about them "pinning the lady in". He said:

He was with his dad and they chased her down and somehow got her to stop and stay put until the cops came.

Is it actually illegal in some way to follow someone who has hit your car? I have had multiple friends who had to chase someone down after a fender bender, but usually as soon as it was obvious there were pictures of them, their car and the damage, the perp stopped and pulled over to let the cops sort it out (that fleeing the seen charge is on the perp, not the person hit).

IF he actually pinned her in, there are all kinds of other issues and charges that likely could have occurred that weren't mentioned. It seems like that would have a pretty big impact on claiming self defense.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    OK, MAJOR UPDATE.

The man was bailed out and I spoke to him. AGAIN, I trust his word. He's a good kid and he already feels as ashamed as if he strait up assaulted someone anyway.

Ok, so the wife didn't tell the story well. Turns out, the guy (Bostonian) squared up to him in a fighting stance, as about 3 feet away. He said he pulled his gun and backed up and pointed it at him. The guy backed down and he put the gun away. Later, before he got arrested, the Bostonian came to him and said "I'm sorry for threatening to kick your guy's asses and almost fighting you".

I was also told that when he got there, he screamed at his wife "you stupid BITCH, you wrecked my car".

ALSO, it turns out that there were two witnesses. A man and a woman who owned a body shop AND they have their number. When they thought his pulling of the gun may get him in trouble, the woman said "I won't tell them you did that". When he told me that I said "shit well now you gotta call them and tell her to tell the WHOLE TRUTH". So he has their number and the lawyer will investigate and ask them questions.

Finally, he told me the judge said he was a threat to society and wanted him locked up. They wouldn't let him say anything the first time he saw the judge and I told him "good, keep your mouth shut and let the lawyer handle it".

So he's out, but can't touch his guns and probably for at least a year or two, even if he gets out. This is looking a hell of a lot better for him. Not sure how the wife got it so wrong but I guess she wasn't the one in the situation and was probably full of adrenalin and therefore was a bad witness hahaha.

God bless.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

Read the update. He actually was pissed at the wife.

If it were me, I'd be pissed off and tell my wife to drive to a police station. However, if my wife told me she hit someone and they were chasing her down, I'd tell her "drive to the police station you dumb ass and apologize as soon as you have an officer there", or some shit like that. But when I heard the story, I'd ban her from driving. Anyway, read the update.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    DUPE FOR PAGE 10

OK, MAJOR UPDATE.

The man was bailed out and I spoke to him. AGAIN, I trust his word. He's a good kid and he already feels as ashamed as if he strait up assaulted someone anyway.

Ok, so the wife didn't tell the story well. Turns out, the guy (Bostonian) squared up to him in a fighting stance, as about 3 feet away. He said he pulled his gun and backed up and pointed it at him. The guy backed down and he put the gun away. Later, before he got arrested, the Bostonian came to him and said "I'm sorry for threatening to kick your guy's asses and almost fighting you".

I was also told that when he got there, he screamed at his wife "you stupid BITCH, you wrecked my car".

ALSO, it turns out that there were two witnesses. A man and a woman who owned a body shop AND they have their number. When they thought his pulling of the gun may get him in trouble, the woman said "I won't tell them you did that". When he told me that I said "shit well now you gotta call them and tell her to tell the WHOLE TRUTH". So he has their number and the lawyer will investigate and ask them questions.

Finally, he told me the judge said he was a threat to society and wanted him locked up. They wouldn't let him say anything the first time he saw the judge and I told him "good, keep your mouth shut and let the lawyer handle it".

So he's out, but can't touch his guns and probably for at least a year or two, even if he gets out. This is looking a hell of a lot better for him. Not sure how the wife got it so wrong but I guess she wasn't the one in the situation and was probably full of adrenalin and therefore was a bad witness hahaha.

God bless.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    DUPE FOR PAGE 10

OK, MAJOR UPDATE.

God bless.
    Look man, you seem to care about him. I’m not going to knock you for that.

Nothing about any of this is how normal people handle a situation like that. Every person sounds insane. The more details that surface the more I don’t want to know. Maybe this is better suited for a Jerry Springer forum?

I apologize for being an ass but people really need to calm the hell down.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Look man, you seem to care about him. I’m not going to knock you for that.

Nothing about any of this is how normal people handle a situation like that. Every person sounds insane. The more details that surface the more I don’t want to know. Maybe this is better suited for a Jerry Springer forum?

I apologize for being an ass but people really need to calm the hell down.

UMMM haha I think YOU should calm down buddy. Take a breather. We are ALL calm and just discussing things, like men, on the internet. That's literally it. But I remember, when I was knew to forums, I read into people's posts kinda like you seem to be doing, and was told, and soon realized that I needed to cool my temperament. That was over ten years ago and now I offer that advice to you, as a friend.

Keep in mind, you can avoid this thread, if you'd like. Otherwise, you're more than welcome to share your opinion whether we agree, or not. Just make sure to kick up your feet and relax though.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    UMMM haha I think YOU should calm down buddy. Take a breather. We are ALL calm and just discussing things, like men, on the internet. That's literally it. But I remember, when I was knew to forums, I read into people's posts kinda like you seem to be doing, and was told, and soon realized that I needed to cool my temperament. That was over ten years ago and now I offer that advice to you, as a friend.

Keep in mind, you can avoid this thread, if you'd like. Otherwise, you're more than welcome to share your opinion whether we agree, or not. Just make sure to kick up your feet and relax though.
    I get you want a reaction out of me. Ain’t gonna happen. Best of luck to your buddy.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    You do understand when I posted people need to calm down I was referring to the incident that got your friend arrested, right?

My friend, his wife, and all involved? If that's the case, I did NOT realize that and suppose that would make me a dumb ass. Either way, my responses, after that were intended to be civil. Yea I thought you were saying people in the thread need to calm down. I was simply confused about that, not angry or anything of the sort.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My friend, his wife, and all involved? If that's the case, I did NOT realize that and suppose that would make me a dumb ass. Either way, my responses, after that were intended to be civil. Yea I thought you were saying people in the thread need to calm down. I was simply confused about that, not angry or anything of the sort.
    Yeah, please read and make sure you understand what people are talking about because most of us aren’t angry when we post something. I’m certainly compassionate to a degree about what’s going on and even if you don’t like me I hope the kid can learn from this. I hope you can help him bounce back if he does get convicted.

If anything I owe you an apology for the Uvalde thread. I shouldn’t be calling people stupid. Not with half the shit I type. Lol.

Top Bottom