• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I want to update my roman. ak-47 to a more tactical/galil rifle.

First of all I was wanting to have a collapsible m4 stock, so i can use a single point bungee sling.
    What I need to know is how the recoil would feel with this stock setup? I had an ati folding stock and it kept digging into my shoulder. Also, I was looking at an adapter that allows a ar-15 stock to mount to an ak rifle. What would the recoil buffer attached on my rifle do, would it counter act?

Secondly, I want to install a galil style handguard how well does it hold up to heat?

Lastly, I want a long eye relief mounted on the rear sight(like from scoutscope.com) and install a holographic sight. Is there a better scope mounting option?

Capitol Armory ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The absolute single best upgrade I have seen for AK's is the VLTOR AR stock tube adapter:

Vltor Weapons Systems -Modstock Accessories and Components

AKsmall-600.jpg

Don't waste time or money with any of the other cheap, crappy AR stock adapter setups out there. The VLTOR isn't that much more expensive, is head and shoulders higher quality than Tapco or the like, gives a proper stock angle (straight stock angle instead of downward angled like a regular AK stock), etc. Let me put it this way, a friend of mine has a WASR with the VLTOR tube and a Magpul CTR. I have played with a great deal of different AK setups. I've found some I liked better than others. Literally the second I picked his up and shouldered it, I instantaneously decided it is hands down the best stock setup for the AK period. Oh, and the other nice thing is the VLTOR tube has quick disconnect holes on both sides right near the receiver, so you can easily attach a single point sling like you were wanting.

Not sure what you meant by your last comment. As far as red dots go, this is the lowest profile and about the best setup I've seen:

LaRue Tactical AK-IronDot

About the only other option would be an Ultimak railed gas block with an Aimpoint T1 mounted on it. Everything else is going to be higher profile and not nearly tacti-cool enough! ;) lol

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have an Ultimak with a Burris Fastfire (same sight Larue uses for their Iron Dot) on my Yugo, works very well, and you are still able to co-witness. Larue will not have any more of the Iron Dots for the AK available for another few months, My red dot set up was around $100 for the rail/gas tube from Ultimak, and a used Fastfire for $150. Be careful with the UTG type quad mounts, they will not sit low enough to cowitness with and I have heard reports of so-so quality....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    UTG quality is very sketchy.

The stock set up that I've been looking at for my AK is a side-folding setup from ACE, with an M4-style collapsible on it. IMO that's going to be the most versatile, but they're pricey and I haven't had a chance to fondle one yet. I really do like my current setup, though. Tapco SAW pistol grip gives a lot better control, I upgraded to standard-style plastic stocks and recently added an Ultimak to put my Aimpoint Comp M2 on. The rifle turned out a little front heavy, and with a very low mount the co-witness is still just about at the bottom of the tube, but I actually kind of like it that way. Eventually I want get Ultimak's quad rail on my rifle, too. Much higher quality than the other brands, but it's over $200...

texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    Dumb question, but does anyone know why I can't get the stock off of my WASR-10? I see what looks like a nail/pin, but I can't believe they would have gone to all of that trouble so a person can't switch stocks............but then I am talking about our government.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Some wood stocks are just tight. The wood stock should only be held on by two screws through the top - they are close to each other and one you can see without removing the top cover and the other is underneath the top cover. Holding the rifle muzzle up and beating downward on the forward part of the stock comb with a rubber mallet usually loosens them up. Hit hard. But you might end up having to put the receiver in a padded vice and, with a hammer and large punch, tapping on the front end of the stock from inside the receiver.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some wood stocks are just tight. The wood stock should only be held on by two screws through the top - they are close to each other and one you can see without removing the top cover and the other is underneath the top cover. Holding the rifle muzzle up and beating downward on the forward part of the stock comb with a rubber mallet usually loosens them up. Hit hard. But you might end up having to put the receiver in a padded vice and, with a hammer and large punch, tapping on the front end of the stock from inside the receiver.

Yep, all of them I've taken out (not many, but all of them) were stuck in there good. It's like they put the stock in the rifle before the finish is dry...

Top Bottom