• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I don't think they plan on giving up the capability of amphibious operations, just integrate it into the Army. Remember the Army worked hand in hand with the Marines during WWII in the Pacific and participated in seaborne invasions (Army handled one themselves 69 years ago today pretty well). Add an amphibious warfare school to their list of responsibilities, like Air Assault and Airborne schools, and have divisions dedicated to that. Would cut down on a lot of duplication of procurement and supply issues. They have talked about this for years to try and make tax dollars go farther.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    They've been talking about getting rid of the Marine Corps for decades. On paper it seems like there are many overlapping responsibilities and the Corps wouldn't be missed. In reality, what the Marine Corps does, and how it does it, is something that the other services cannot duplicate.

Well, I imagine he can deploy the Navy as well, how else you gonna get there?

We got a bunch of hand me down planes and choppers.
    happy-020.gif

Actually, the President can deploy any service.
    Correct. What he meant to say (based on the opinion that seems to be held by many at 1600 Pennsylvania) is the Marines are the only force the President can deploy quickly and efficiently. The trend started with President Reagan after the failed Eagle Claw operation of the previous administration. He discovered the JCS to be disjointed and acting like they were in a turf war with their separate JOS commands. The introduction of SOCOM and bringing together a unified command worked on paper, but whichever uniform was in charge at the time just played the same old turf wars. What Reagan realized was that an order to CMC got troops wheels up quicker than any other phone call he could make, so it became a phone call he used often enough.

I'm no longer in tune with what all goes on, but the current POTUS does seem to be bucking the trend and favoring the Seals. That or the Navy has just gotten the publicity with the big stories and all the behind the scenes stuff is still the same.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    how bout this we cut back on this welfare crap and leave our gyrines alone

I second that! My Father, God rest his soul, would be hard-pressed to NOT be jumping down someone's throat over this "Get rid of the Marines" shit. He spent 30 years in the Corps and was a Marine til the end. WW II. Korea. 2 tours in Vietman. I grew up on Marine bases all over the country (I'm a Marine brat and proud of that fact) and even though I went into the Army, I consider the Marines THE force to contend with in any conflict.

....and if they DO get rid of the Marines, who is going to hold the umbrella for that asshole Obastard???

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Won't happen. Pity the foolish politician that would vote to dismantle a beloved part of our military heritage. The groundswell would swallow them whole...

Top Bottom