• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I don't know anyone who does....but I get the emails as to when they are going on at the Fort Bliss rod and Gun. The only schedule I see on their website is from 2010 (its an El Paso thing). Call them over there at Fort Bliss rod and gun...I want to say they have the matches the third and fourth weekend of each month. I have always been interested to go watch....but, am kinda chicken to try at this point.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I dont know if they shoot Sat or Sun. I will try and find the info I had on it....It's on one of my computers somewhere. Let me see what I can find,and I will post it here. But wait! there's more......

[h=2]El Paso[/h]
    smpress.gif

[h=3]Fort Bliss Rod And Gun I D P A Club[/h]
    Telephone:
    El Paso
    4nd & 5th Saturday
    Jerry Knapple & Brad Millard Knapple (915) 821-8296 Millard (505) 522-1552

Not sure how up-to-date this info is.....

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I recently found a good deal online for some 8" knockdown plates. I think I am going to order them with a shooting timer and see what I can do before I go out and embarrass myself .... I don't get a chance to shoot very often, so I need to make an effort to get some practice in. I get sort of intimidated by the folks at the range that really know what they are doing, but need to get over that and just have fun. I do love to shoot!

GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    Any of you guys shoot these matches locally? I just got a PARA Ordnance in .40 and would like to have fun with it.

USPSA/IPSC shoots at the Ft Bliss Rod & Gun Club, Range 2, on the 2nd Saturday of the month. 8:30 am registration, 9:00 start time.
    IDPA shoots at the same place (Range 2) on the 3rd Saturday of the month. 8:30 am start time.
    4th Satudays, the IDPA crew helps put together a 2-gun or 3-gun event, alternating months (and shooting locations) with the Las Cruces IDPA group.
    4th Sundays is IPSC 101 (aka Intro to USPSA). It's an intro session for those too nervous to just show up at a match and shoot (and a practice session for those that want to practice skills, movements, etc.). Range 2, 8:30 am.
    3rd Sundays is a "CC Competition" (according to what is posted on the Rod & Gun monthly calendar). It's a pretty relaxed get-together type of shoot, somewhere in between basic square-range shooting from the firing line and a full-up USPSA/IDPA match. Bring pistol, holster, 2 mags. Bring a rimfire pistol if you have one (but not required). Range 2A, 9:30 am.

Bring your pistol, a holster, extra mags, 100-150 rounds of ammo, eye & ear pro, $15 shoot fee.
    Edit: Also bring sunscreen and something cold (and non-alcoholic) to drink.

I have always been interested to go watch....but, am kinda chicken to try at this point.

Shoot safely, have fun, hit your targets, shoot fast (maybe). In that order.

Shoot safely. Know which end the bullet comes out of, and don't point that end yourself or anybody else. Everybody leaves with the same number of holes in their body they arrived with.
    Have fun. Isn't that the whole point of exercise. If you're not having fun, why are you doing it?
    Hit your targets. You get better by doing. Showing up and shooting the match is better practice than "practicing FOR the match."
    Shoot fast (maybe). It's last in priority for a reason.

I recently found a good deal online for some 8" knockdown plates. I think I am going to order them with a shooting timer and see what I can do before I go out and embarrass myself .... I don't get a chance to shoot very often, so I need to make an effort to get some practice in. I get sort of intimidated by the folks at the range that really know what they are doing, but need to get over that and just have fun. I do love to shoot!
    Had a good USPSA shoot at the Rod & Gun today (2nd Saturday). Had some close fast targets, some farther accuracy targets, some moving around & shoot targets, etc.

Don't worry about "embarrassing yourself." Everybody starts somewhere. Bring what you got, shoot what you brung, have fun. Refer to priorities of work above.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    are the shoots grouped by experience, or would a beginner shoot against a seasoned veteran? What are the best pistols to use? i'm interested and getting my courage up, but would really like to go watch a match.

GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    are the shoots grouped by experience, or would a beginner shoot against a seasoned veteran?
    Yes. In USPSA, shooters are categorized by both Division (equipment) and Classification (skill level).

Division describes the equipment the shooter uses, and includes: Open (fully customized, including optics and compensators), Limited (fully customized, EXCEPT for optics and compensators), Revolver (has the round spinny thing), Single Stack (M1911 style action, may or may not be 45ACP), Production (generally out of box, with some limited modifications (sights, trigger work)). Classifications include Grand Master, Master, A, B, C and D. Master-class shooters are fast and accurate. Grand Masters are faster and more accurate than Master class shooters. A-, B-, C- and D-class shooters are less fast and less accurate than Master-class shooters.

All shooters shoot the same stages (or courses of fire) at the match. The squad (or the group of shooters shooting stages together) will likely be a mixture of different Divisions and Classifications. Ask questions. The experienced shooters you are with often share tips, techniques and explanations with others. There's also a lot to be learned by observation.

After the points are added up and scores figured out, Division winners are announced. In bigger matches, there might be Division/Class winners announced. It's nice to place well and get some bragging rights. IDPA categorizes shooters by equipment and skill in a similar manner.

What are the best pistols to use?

The pistol you already have. New shooters to action shooting (ie USPSA, IDPA, etc.) usually already have a pistol that will fit into one of the above equipment categories. Run down to Academy to pick up a holster (or maybe order one from Brownell's if you have a less common pistol). Practice drawing and holstering your pistol so you can do it safely (ie without pointing it at your foot, or any other important body parts). Pick up a couple of additional magazines. You've got all the equipment you need (don't forget the ammo, eyes & ears).

Bring what you got; shoot what you brung. Shoot safe, have fun.

i'm interested and getting my courage up, but would really like to go watch a match.

It's easy. Show up to a match (hint: bring your gear). Walk up to somebody else (may be the shoot organizer, may be not) and say, "Hi, I'm new to the USPSA/IDPA/action shooting thing, and I want to find out more about it."

YouTube is great for "watching matches" (or at least shooter video). You'll learn more by doing it yourself than you will by watching someone else do it (hint: that's why you're bringing your gear). Jump in the pool; it's only scary the first time. Shoot safely and have fun.

LT41mag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    El Paso
    USPSA is second Saturday of the month. Setup time on or about 0730 with the match starting at 9am. Fee is $15. Range 2
    round count is usually around 120 rounds

IPSC 101 4th Sunday of the month. Range 2 setup on or about 0730hrs with match starting at 9am. Fee $15

The IPSC 101 match serves as an introductory path to competitive shooting. Allows people to become familiar with competitive shooting. It's also a very fun match to shoot.

Top Bottom