• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n0fry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Mansfield, Tx
    Hey guys, I'm hoping to get my chl soon. I was wondering if there's anything worth knowing about getting the chl from Utah. I saw some ads online about a place called familygunfun.com. Apparently they're located in Denton, TX. They give chl classes and etc and then register for the Utah license. Their classes are only 4 hours long, and they don't have range time either (which i kinda regret). Would it be wise for me to take this course? Or should i just get a Texas CHL. Thanks in advance guys.
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    I have a UT CCW and it has reciprocity here in TX and other states, like WA, FL, AZ, etc.

I took the UT course at the Cabelas in Lehi, UT. It was only $40 and a two day two hour course, toal 4 hours. It was mainly lectures on UT gun laws, no shooting and had excellent scenarios. But whenever I'm carrying at other states, I'll have to comply fully to that States' gun laws.

I'll be sticking with my UT CCW here in TX since it's still valid and do make trips to UT. I honestly don't have any problems having a UT, but the benefits of purchasing here in TX is the only con....since having a TX CHL will allow you to not have to go through any background check.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'd recommend taking a Texas CHL class (even if you don't get a TX CHL). A good class is well worth the $100. You might even get a better deal, cause you aren't doing range time or doing the fingerprints, ect.

emike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Austin
    What about the legality? I have heard that it is not legal to have use a UT CHL if you live in TX over 30 days.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    As long as you have a CC lisence that Texas has a reciprocity agreement, then you have a legal Concealed carry license.

But I'm not a lawyer, and have a texas CHL.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    We never can predict changes in the law, and though it is highly unlikely that a Texan with only a Utah CHL would ever run into a problem carrying here at home, consider that if you are a Texan, a Texas CHL is the right choice. Taking a short cut with a lessor Utah license may not teach you the statutes concerning use of deadly force when it is needed, nor show handgun safety & proficiency (the range part). Taking shortcuts may be cheaper, shorter, and cost less but don't an armed Texan want the best ?

n0fry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Mansfield, Tx
    Ah ok- thanks a lot guys. I think i'll probably end up taking the texas license one. My friend is wanting to get his, and I guess it'll be easier if i went with someone i knew lol.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    I reside in Texas, but also I'm a Nevada resident with a home and wife there. I have a Nevada CHL and a Utah CHL and see no reason to get a Texas CHL as both of my Nevada and Utah licenses are recognized here. I can't see the point to go through all of this again so that I can have a Lone Star on my permit. My Utah renewal is something like $10 and I intend on keeping it when I become a full time resident in Texas. Until Texas changes the law, I'm legal.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    If that's the case(I don't want to start a debate)...I wanted to know why have 2. Your Nevada CHL is recognize here but the Utah CHL is not recognize in Nevada right and so as Texas CHL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Utah CHL is useless as well in Nevada and other Unilateral States.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I thought Utah added 5 states TX did not cover and if you travel to them it's worth it. Some like to have it as an overlap to the TX CHL in case there is a delay in renewal or something of the like. I can only find 2 that the non-resident CFP adds WA and NV, The UPTah resident CFP adds more than the non-resident.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    I got the Utah CHL as it added a ton of states that Nevada had no reciprocity with. Actually Nevada had no reciprocity with any state until something like 2008. Some states recognized Nevada, but others didn't until Nevada recognized theirs. This is exactly why we should have universal reciprocity. If I'm licensed in one state then ALL states should recognize it, just like a drivers license.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I can see a possible benefit to getting both, but I wouldn't get JUST a Utah one to use in Texas. I'd hate to explain to a jury (under any circumstances) why I decided not to take the course on when shootings are legally justified, how much force I could use in what situation legally, What 5 circumstances under which force is never justified, ... and that I decided to skip learning about de-escalation of a confrontational situation, ...and why I didn't want to bother with a class that covered where I can and can't legally carry under Texas laws .... Also, it's debateable whether you are or are not allowed to carry in a school parking lot with a license not issued in Texas as the laws are currently worded.

However, if you HAVE a Texas CHL, and take MORE classes, and obtain more licenses, I don't see how that could hurt, and might benefit you in several ways.

tumbleweed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    san antonio
    Is a Utah CHL of any benefit to obtaining a Texas CHL later? (like it can be "rolled over" in kind or remove you from the range proficiency requirement, etc) I am a new resident with a Utah CHL and see I have to wait 6 months to get a resident TX CHL, or I could get a non-resident TX one now and a resident one later. I'm wondering if there's any benefit in this latter approach or I should just use the Utah one until my 6mo date happens...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I can see a possible benefit to getting both, but I wouldn't get JUST a Utah one to use in Texas. I'd hate to explain to a jury (under any circumstances) why I decided not to take the course on when shootings are legally justified, how much force I could use in what situation legally, What 5 circumstances under which force is never justified, ... and that I decided to skip learning about de-escalation of a confrontational situation, ...and why I didn't want to bother with a class that covered where I can and can't legally carry under Texas laws ....
    I don't see that as an issue at all. No one has to take a course to carry in their car, or keep a handgun at hime, or carry a long gun.

Your justification does not depend on what classes you took.
    Also, it's debateable whether you are or are not allowed to carry in a school parking lot with a license not issued in Texas as the laws are currently worded.
    It is not debatable at all. A CHL has nothing to do with school parking lot carry under Texas law.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Is a Utah CHL of any benefit to obtaining a Texas CHL later? (like it can be "rolled over" in kind or remove you from the range proficiency requirement, etc) I am a new resident with a Utah CHL and see I have to wait 6 months to get a resident TX CHL, or I could get a non-resident TX one now and a resident one later. I'm wondering if there's any benefit in this latter approach or I should just use the Utah one until my 6mo date happens...

Your Utah license does not have any impact on obtaining yout Texas license. You will have to submit to the same process as everyone else.

You do not have to be a resident 6 months to obtain a Texas CHL. You can apply today.

Top Bottom