• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Hello everyone!

I've recently taken a new job in Austin (computer field) and am living in an apartment in the Arboretum area (north Austin). The people in Texas are great, though some in this particular neck of the woods can be a bit wacky (I'm a conservative sort of guy). I am an NRA Instructor for Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, and am a Range Officer and an instructor for the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP). I doubt I'll be doing any Utah CFP classes down here, since the CHL and the CFP are recognized in pretty much all the same states. Haven't decided if I'll become a CHL instructor -- still mulling it over.

I'm mostly a GLOCK guy (have been a GLOCK armorer for six or seven years), though I have a variety of other sidearms, along with several rifles -- black and otherwise. I'm pleased to see so many of y'all being fans of the official State Gun of Utah -- the 1911. I'm most likely to be found with either a GLOCK 23 or a Ruger LC9 these days.

Back in 2000-2001, I lived in Houston for a little over a year. I found then that I make a good Texan, so it's good to be back here. Even though my handle is "Utah", my wife and I have also lived in Florida, Massachusetts, Colorado, Washington state, and California. I was working in San Francisco when we were in California -- never again, never again, never again.

My avatar is actually from my ancestry. He looks to me to be a reliable character from the Old West.

Seems I'm in need of a small gun safe. Something that could hold a few rifles and a smattering of other bits and pieces. Something I could manhandle into place by myself (so, couple of hundred pounds or less). Any suggestions?
    Lynx Defense

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome to TGT.

Check your local Walmart or Academy for safes. There is also Cabela's south of you in Buda and Gander Mountain East of you in Round Rock among other places to safe shop.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hello Utah. Welcome to Austin. I myself moved here after escaping Los Angeles.

I use this safe, Liberty Safe Premium 20

With just my brother and I we were able to get it into the car from Cabela's and also carry it into the house. I would think if you had a dolly you could probably do it by yourself, I didn't have one.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You're in for a culture shock coming to Austin, lol... I visited Utah over the summer and decided if I ever leave Texas, it'll probably be for Utah.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Hello Utah. Welcome to Austin. I myself moved here after escaping Los Angeles.

I use this safe, Liberty Safe Premium 20

With just my brother and I we were able to get it into the car from Cabela's and also carry it into the house. I would think if you had a dolly you could probably do it by yourself, I didn't have one.

I'll probably go even smaller than the 20. I've got a vault in the house back in Utah, so I left almost all the goodies there. Our house had a cold storage room (concrete foundation walls on two sides, 8" reinforced concrete on the other two sides, 12" reinforced concrete slab on the top that doubles as the front porch). All I had to do was have a vault door installed and bingo - a walk-in 4x10 vault.

Top Bottom