• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    We see this sign in San Antonio at a building labeled as a clinic (i assume abortion clinic), never got the picture to come out right so I found one on the net. I assume it might be federally mandated?

View attachment 6306
    Texas SOT

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    It's not a 30.06 so it dont mean a thing but if some see's you carrying and asks you to leave you better do so.
    I ignore those and the ones with the circle with the pistol and slash .

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    When I bought my Jeep at Ancira, they had the red circle/slash over a gun sign at the door. I walked right by it, and dropped $20K cash on the desk for the used Jeep I bought. They didn't seem to know or care, it was only on one door and I never revealed that I was carrying (the whole premise behind concealed carry!).

As 308nato said, unless it's a 30.06 (or 51% sign), it's not legal. I will not inform a business or facility that they have the wrong sign up, if they want to be ignorant then that's their choice and so be it!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    As stated, meaaningless to CHL holders in Texas. Unless the facility is a federally owned building or it houses a federal government office, I can't see why the sign would be federally mandated.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    As previously stated, if a sign is not 30.06 compliant - it can say anything it likes but means nothing to CHL holders. For example, Clicks near Hollister has a sign which says something like it is a federal offense to carry a firearm on the premises - licensed or unlicensed. Like your sign, it means $hit.

OldCurlyWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Tulia
    It's not a 30.06 so it dont mean a thing but if some see's you carrying and asks you to leave you better do so.
    I ignore those and the ones with the circle with the pistol and slash .

In most other states that sign is enforceable. If you ignore it and are "caught" you can be charged and convicted of criminal trespass. BTW in Texas no one better "see's you carrying".

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    When I bought my Jeep at Ancira, they had the red circle/slash over a gun sign at the door. I walked right by it, and dropped $20K cash on the desk for the used Jeep I bought. They didn't seem to know or care, it was only on one door and I never revealed that I was carrying (the whole premise behind concealed carry!).

As 308nato said, unless it's a 30.06 (or 51% sign), it's not legal. I will not inform a business or facility that they have the wrong sign up, if they want to be ignorant then that's their choice and so be it!

Wow you spent 20 grand at an anti gun POB? I would have easily driven to another of the various jeep dealers for that reason. I dont even buy fountain drinks at gas stations with anti-gun signs.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wow you spent 20 grand at an anti gun POB? I would have easily driven to another of the various jeep dealers for that reason. I dont even buy fountain drinks at gas stations with anti-gun signs.

Yeah, you can choose to go to another dealership but I for one don't consider the sight on one sign (God only knows who put it up there) as being a reason to walk away from a deal I had already agreed to.

Plus, I am not so fanatical to run away from any business that exercises its right to stop people from carry on its private property. It's no different than not carrying a concealed firearm when I visit friends who don't want guns in their home. I respect their decision and abide by it. It is a free country, and everyone has a right to make their own decisions; but I consider such boycotting a bit over the top (not buying a soda at a gas station because it's anti-gun? Seriously?)

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    I wouldn't go as far as to not use the business.I would however carry on the property anyway, as it is not the proper signage if i absolutely needed to be there. I haven't been to a Walmart that hasn't had some form of NO sign concerning handguns. Some state unlicensed carry prohibited which im pretty sure is a felony anyway.Others say Firearms prohibited.Regardless i still go there because none provide proper signage.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I wouldn't go as far as to not use the business.I would however carry on the property anyway, as it is not the proper signage if i absolutely needed to be there. I haven't been to a Walmart that hasn't had some form of NO sign concerning handguns. Some state unlicensed carry prohibited which im pretty sure is a felony anyway.Others say Firearms prohibited.Regardless i still go there because none provide proper signage.

IIRC that is due to the store selling alcoholic beverages, all grocery stores have the sign.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I think some businesses post the unenforceable sign, knowing it, but just to keep the anti's feeling cozy. They know they can't back it up but they are "doing something for the cause", to get the business from the bed wetters. It's all about the money.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think some businesses post the unenforceable sign, knowing it, but just to keep the anti's feeling cozy. They know they can't back it up but they are "doing something for the cause", to get the business from the bed wetters. It's all about the money.

I suspect you're right, and feel that was the case at the Jeep dealership because if I had mentioned I wasn't going to hand over $20,000 in cash for a vehicle because of it, I think the salesman would've ripped it down in a heartbeat!

The law is clear, either it's a 30.06 sign or it's not (with exceptions, such as the 51% sign). If it's not, I ignore it and I have never heard where anyone was successfully prosecuted for ignoring an illegal sign.

Now, if you mention you are carrying and are told to leave and fail to do so, then that's a different story altogether! But I don't recognize anything other than the signs Texas law says are valid.

Top Bottom