• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have read numerous accounts of guys getting very good results with Vargent powder and the Sierra 175 grain MatchKing bullet in their .308 loads. I reload using Winchester 748 and the Sierra 168 grain MatchKing bullet. The local ranges where I shoot only have 100 yard rifle distances, so my loads group very well at that distance. Anyone have data to verify what I read on the internet concerning loads with Varget powder and the 175 grain Sierra MatchKing bullet?
    I recently learned of a private range up east of McKinney that has range distances in excess of 500 yards. I may want to try some long distance shooting. They have a membership disclaimer on their website that reads "in order to become a member you must be able to hit a 4"x4" swinging steel plate at 600 yards". Yeah right! If that is the case, then I just want to go and watch the show!!
    Texas SOT

heavyzee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Austin
    ive used Berger 175 VLD's and Varget with excellent results.

The beauty of Varget is that it performs well at both 40 degree mornings and when its 103 in the afternoon

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I've used Varget in 308 behind 165g BTHP projectiles. It grouped under 3/4" at 100 yards and I know I pulled one of them. I'm very happy with Varget and, as stated above, it is temperature stable. That stability allows you to work a little closer to warm without a load going hot in hot weather.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    The only issue I have with Varget is that it doesn't meter nearly as well as a ball powder and despite being short-cut it doesn't meter as well as Benchmark for instance. Plus, it really fills the case and on a progressive that makes it less than ideal if you aren't using a compression die at the upper end. Otherwise, the data I have on performance are positive, but the negatives are too much to overcome for me to use it.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I use an RCBS Uniflow powder measure to meter the powder for my rifle loads. Occassionally the 748 powder will bind in the unit as I operate the throw lever. I will keep an eye on how the Varget functions and weigh numerous loads until I see how the powder reacts to this measurer.

piledriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Katy
    I have found Varget powder to work well in many different cartridges. but like in the 223 I found specific powders that were intended for the cartridge work better. IIRC I even used Varget in my 45-70. Very forgiving and versatile power. The problem I had in the 223 was velocity. The book said one thing and the chronograph said another. Accuracy was good but I used more powder for a given load compared to another powder. You know that 7000grs = a pound thing.

Tell how the Varget works for you. My have to try a new load for my 308.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    <br />
    IMG_2156.jpg
    <br />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    ETA: My bad, this wasn't Varget in this pic. I was using 8208XBR on this one. It does meter beautifully, and works great on the "<=" 168gr bullets

Here's some 100 yard load development:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hallowzeve

Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Lakeway
    I've pretty much resigned myself to using Varget for everything I load from .223,30-30,303 and 308. I love it and I have no issues out to 300yds. I use sierra 180's and Hornady 147's (plinking) for .308. I haven't had a chance to do any bench shooting since moving though. I love it and it's a clean burner too. I like it better than h4598 and I find it to be acceptably universal.
    Cheers,
    Bil

Top Bottom