• ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Hey guys. Long time no talk.

I've decided that my next gun project will be to build an AR-15 for the purpose of shooting coyotes, bobcats, and such. Ain't skeert to drill a pig through the eye socket either. May take a whitetail with it, who knows?

But I don't really know where to start. Never built an AR before. So I'd love to hear from y'all. As far as budget goes, I'd love to keep the cost of the whole rifle under a grand(not including scope).

I'm dead set on the 5.56x45mm caliber. Everything else, mostly, is up in the air.

Stock? I like the look of a fixed stock on these varmint builds, but not married to it.

Trigger? I know there are a ton of options out there.

BCG? One better than another?

Grip? I fancy Magpul, but would like to hear some other opinions.

Ammo choice? I hear that Hornady 40gr V-max is hard to beat for yotes. Anybody got a better idea?

Barrel and twist rate? What say y'all? I'm leaning towards an 18" bull barrel.

Rails?

Scope? Pretty much set on Vortex, but possible to persuade me otherwise. Maybe.

I'd love to hear opinions, advice, and suggestions as well as see pics of what y'all have already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'll give my opinion on some of your questions.

I have been a Magpul fanboy for years now. I put a Larue grip and stock on my last rifle just so I could change things up a bit. I really like the grip but it does not have any storage. The stock locks up tight and is collapsible which is great for storing in the safe.

Personally, I think you'd be best with an 223 wylde upper and 1/8 twist barrel.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I Built one just like you are talking about, and it is my most accurate AR.
    The heart and soul of mine is the Black Hole Weaponry 22" bull barrel. It's chambered in 5.56, with polyagonal rifling. I used an YNM bolt, Aero Precision basic A3 upper, can't remember what lower, CMC single stage straight trigger(very nice), and a RRA operator A2 stock.
    I wanted a fixed stock as well, so I went to the gun show and tried everything I could find. The RRA has the best cheek weld this side of a much heavier and more expensive PRS.
    For a grip, I wound up with an UTG "sniper" grip, and it's great for me.
    With a scope that is always ridiculed and talked down upon by my friends, it will routinely hold 3/4" with factory ammo.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    So I've been real pokey about putting this together. It's been on the back burner.

It's an Anderson lower, it's about done. Need buffer tube and stock. Undecided on what trigger I want. I've decided on a Hogue grip.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Ammo - Hornady 55grn V-Max for varmints, Barnes 70grn TSX for same or deer

Trigger - (old guy here that loves 2-stage military triggers so) RRA Nat'l Match 2-stage triggers are in 90% of my AR lowers, bought decades ago for $55 - never had a minutes trouble with any RRA 2-stages.

Upper - this is "where" your money should go (Vortex makes good scopes btw) 1/7 twist BCM 14.5" w/ perm FS/brake they attach and here it is:
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM...ht-Weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-elw-mcmr-13.htm
    Guarantee ya won't be disappointed with this choice - accurate out to 800 yards without the weight of a heavy barrel (which will slow ya down on day hunts, it's the shortest legal length, so it's handy around tight stands and in the woods) and this upper is good to go with any of the rounds mentioned above and any weight in-between.

here's mine w/ Leupy MK6:
    upload_2018-2-23_9-57-5.jpeg

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Has the makings of a great thread!

3 or 4 things.

Get the best barrel you can buy.
    Sometimes after the build the barrel is not stellar. Replace it. Worth the trouble.

Triggers are personal preference. I like my Timneys. Lots of choices.
    Spend extra.

For a varmint rig the Magpul PRS is great. The shape and heft helps.

Finally.....those Hornady 40gr varmint rounds are like copper coated lasers in my experience. Accurate and explosive.

I shoot lately with a buddy that is the obsessive compulsive particle trickling hand loader I'll never be.
    His ARs with the 5-25 Vortex are just boring. The bullet goes where I want with monotanous, boring accuracy.

Another last final, final thought for coyotes and bobcats. Do not, repeat DO NOT look at IR thermal scopes unless you can commit to one. They will ruin you.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although my build was in 300BO, I really like the Aero upper for the price and quality. I bought the Rise Armament 454 single stage trigger for my .556 and liked it so much I also put one in the 300BO. I really like the feel of the Ergo grip on the 300BO. And I went with Odin Work for my buffer and stock. I also got the Ground Zero BCG in nickel boron.

The Aero barrel is 1:7 twist and 16" so changing out the compensator was a snap.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If you haven't built the AR yet. Get the best barrel you can afford as well as a quality trigger and bolt carrier group. Don't skimp on these. Vortex has the best warranty in my opinion. I'm a self admitted magpul whore. Check out palmetto state armory for lowers and uppers. I recommend the VG6 pression epsilon muzzle device if your not planning on a suppressor. I would make sure everything is milspec. And keep it as light as possible. And don't buy a cheap aluminum Gass block. I would buy from a reputable gun store for your first build and not gun shows. You tube is your friend on how to build. Don't hesitate to get help if can't properly do things like correctly install the barrel. The barrel nut and castle nut require a torque wrench to install properly

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Almost forgot. Whatever you do. Do not use red loctite on any parts if the ar.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

45ACP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I really like the Magpul ACS stock. Got one on one my ARs and it gives a great cheek weld but is significantly cheaper than the PRS.

Like others have already said, don't skimp on the barrel. When I was building my 6.8SPC AR Performance was highly recommended and mine shoots great. I haven't used their 5.56 barrels but would not hesitate to do so. Reasonably priced as well.

Top Bottom