very newb cleaning questions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by kfriddile, Aug 31, 2008.

1. kfriddile

kfriddile Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ok, I didn't own any guns until a couple weeks ago, so bear with me here. I currently own a 4" XD 45 compact, a Taurus P-92, and a Browning Hi-Power clone. I cleaned all of them for the first time today by following this video pretty much to the letter, and it seemed to work fine:

YouTube - XD 9mm Sub Compact Disassembly and Cleaning

I'm just wondering if anyone here would do anything different than this guy, or if certain solvents mess up certain finishes, etc. Basically, what should I know so I don't fubar any of my guns somehow? Thanks.

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wear gloves. Solvents, lead, copper, brass shavings, and oil aren't exactly stuff you want all over you hands. Plus, gloves are easier to wash off prior to reassembly so you don't cover your gun in slurry and dirty oil.

Q-Tips, Q-Tips, Q-Tips. Buy a big box of them, you'll use alot.

Good thick cotton patches are awesome, and using the proper patch pusher works well.

Bore snakes are ideal for a quick range clean. Stuff like XDs, USPs, Glocks, etc. don't need to be really cleaned out but maybe one every thousand or so rounds. The bore snake helps to keep the crud out of the lands / rifling so you don't have to worry about lead compaction.

3. kfriddile

kfriddile Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks...ya, I was wishing for some Q-tips earlier:D Will Hoppes #9 damage any certain types of finishes on guns?...anything I should be careful not to get it on?

4. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    If you are using Hoppes #9, I would recommend switching to something that cleans and lubricates at the same time like Break Free. I have been using Break Free on and off the job for 10+ years and it works great.

As for Q-Tips, nothing better than the Wal-Mart "Equate" brand. I buy the largest bulk packs they have on the shelves.

5. jimltop

jimltop New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Ft. Worth

# 9 works fine on all parts of a gun. I dont worry about where it gets to on the gun.....It is hard on the carpet, and try to keep it of wood grips...:banger:

6. kfriddile

kfriddile Member

Aug 27, 2008
    It does sound easier to use something like Break Free, but does it really work as well as using a separate solvent and oil? It's just been my experience that things that try to do everything never excel at their individual purposes. Is something like CLP known to be a trade-off between simplicity and function, or does it really work just as well? I'm always willing to put forth extra effort for better results, but not if an equivalent simpler solution exists.

7. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville

Like I said, I have used it on and off the job...I just left the military. I have used nothing else but Break Free (which is CLP) on my personal and work weapons for over a decade. No sense in having more gear than you really need. This is exactly what I use:

MidwayUSA - Break-Free CLP (Bore Cleaning Solvent, Lubricant, Rust Preventative) 4 oz Liquid

8. kfriddile

kfriddile Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Good enough for me...I'll give it a shot after what I bought yesterday runs out:banger:

9. Enron Exec

Enron Exec Member

Hopes 9, Breakfree CLP, gun oil/synthetic motor oil, paper towels, gun patches, Q-tips, basic cleaning kit, bore snake for right after shooting (hot gun = loose particles).

:icon_popcorn:

10. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    clean? whats that.