• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    OK I'm pretty sure at this point that building guns is way more fun than shooting them, and I may be shunned for that comment. Secondly, the VZ.58 is grossly under appreciated, despite gaining popularity in the past few years.

Before:
    vz2-1-cs.jpg

After:
    vz2-35-cs.jpg

VZ-58 build two from kit and D-Technik receiver

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    $350 for a receiver from czechpoint-usa.com, $180 for the parts kit from apexgunparts.com, and $35 for a muzzle brake from czechpoint as far as parts are concerned. The rest is tools and your labor, it helps to have a shop press, drill press, blast cabinet, large air compressor, HVLP gun, and a dremel.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Nice transformation there. What parts are you using to keep these 922 compliant? My CZ branded VZ uses a plastic trigger, us sear,2 mag parts and receiver just to make the cut. My VZ2008 already has an american barrel and piston but is otherwise surplus czech parts. It always seemed like a p-i-t-a to make a kit gun compliant. I also like to build out guns but I give shooting em' a big edge on the building part. Although building them yourself does make shooting them that much better.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I'm more concerned with 922(o) than 922(r), and manufacturing parts from import parts is considered US made, to take cues from DSA.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Now that is becoming very tempting. Though I don't have the press and all the tools. Would have to find someone with an AK 'build party' in the area. But that is one sweet looking rifle.

Question, how many parts did you have to replace to make it compliant with the BATF 'no foreign evil guns' section?

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    If you're looking for an inexpensive one, CAI made them for $400. 16" barrel instead of 15.25", US made receiver, slightly larger chamber outside diameter. I've seen some defects, come on it's Century you knew that was coming, like a hole burnt in the bolt I suppose from the demilling process gone wrong; there was also someone that received and shot one without the breech block with the expected results. Covered under the warranty, it's worth the risk for that price if you don't want to build it yourself.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Tempting. Might look for one at an upcoming show at the GRB. But the CAI version wouldn't be that sweet looking. I'm not a huge fan of folders either. I'm ass-uming there is a regular stock available for them? I think the CZ versions can be had with them. But those appear to be 'discontinued'.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    Yes quite a few people make aftermarket stocks for them, or you can just buy a surplus one from czechpoint. Unlike AKs with the wide variety or rear trunnions, the VZ is the same for fixed or folding, it goes off and comes on with a single screw.

Top Bottom