• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I am considering the 12ga and the 308. What do yall think I should get they are both really cool?
    DK Firearms

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My friend just bought a Saiga 12 with the intent to convert it. I've shot one before and they are nice shotguns.

My father has a 7.62x39 chambered Siaga that he bought converted. He has an 8x side-mount Russian scope on it and all I can say is that rifle is awesome. With the cheap Monarch ammunition you can get at Academy, we were shooting right around 2 M.O.A. That's really good for an AK platform in my opinion.

Between those two, I'd buy the .308 but I'm not sure about the aftermarket magazines available.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've converted several of both types, and the S12 is an easier conversion for a first timer. The only potential snag is profiling the hammer. You could get one of the "pre-profiled" ones at K-Var if you want to make it super easy.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I've converted several of both types, and the S12 is an easier conversion for a first timer. The only potential snag is profiling the hammer. You could get one of the "pre-profiled" ones at K-Var if you want to make it super easy.

The 308 Saiga is just as easy (if not easier [no hammer reprofile needed]), as it doesn't have the same amount of "klintonizing" as the shorter cartridge Saigas.

• No bullet guide to install in the 308 (all available mags have the bullet guide built in).
    • No trigger linkage holes left over after the operation (it uses a modified 3-piece FCG instead of the 7-piece Rube Goldberg arrangement)

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I don't really care so my about the ease of the project. I like to tinker with stuff. I like the 12 allot it would make a great truck gun! The 308 would be a really cool ak though. I think a 12ga loaded with slugs would be pretty damn sweet.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    It will be a while. I just spent 1000 bucks on a new pistol, 2 holsetrs, and 4 pare mags. I would be fine with the 308 then.

Do you think that the new ATF ruling BS will eventually get thrown out? I hope that the ATF gets abolished.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    12s are increasing in price right now with uncertainty if they'll be imported in the future.
    Do you think that the new ATF ruling BS will eventually get thrown out? I hope that the ATF gets abolished.

The "ATF ruling BS" was exactly that - BS that started with a law firm's wild conjectures.

The actual ruling put forth by the revenuers restricts a Taurus 28ga Judge pistol from being sold here.

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    I have a saiga 7.62x39 and would like to convert it. But I'm a little worried about screwing up the weapon. Are there any GS in central Texas(Austin area) that I can trust to have this done? When I do a Google search most GS are out of the state, and the waiting period is in 1/2 years. On the saiga forum most people say to find someone who has done it and have them coach me.

Just a little apprehensive. Don't want it to break when someone other that me is shooting it.

Rock on

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The 12s are badly overpriced at the moment, the ATF "study" spooked a lot of people and prices jumped faster than they do at the gas pump!

I have an SGL20, an excellent AK platform that I love shooting...

IMG_3584.jpg

But if this is your first AK, let me warn you, they are extremely addictive!

Cheers! M2

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I have a saiga 7.62x39 and would like to convert it. But I'm a little worried about screwing up the weapon. Are there any GS in central Texas(Austin area) that I can trust to have this done? When I do a Google search most GS are out of the state, and the waiting period is in 1/2 years. On the saiga forum most people say to find someone who has done it and have them coach me.

Just a little apprehensive. Don't want it to break when someone other that me is shooting it.

Rock on
    Dude, it's easier than falling off a log while drunk. No sense in sending it anywhere, unless you want one of two things to happen:

• You want to be screwed by a 'smith that may or may not know anything about converting a Saiga and they butcher it up (it's happened)
    • You want to enhance your virtual penis by dropping several hundred dollars on a "big name" to convert your rifle.

To lift the tagline from the Geico spokesgecko: It's really so simple, a caveman could do it.

Interesting reading: Finding the inner Kalashnikov

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Dude, it's easier than falling off a log while drunk. No sense in sending it anywhere, unless you want one of two things to happen:

• You want to be screwed by a 'smith that may or may not know anything about converting a Saiga and they butcher it up (it's happened)
    • You want to enhance your virtual penis by dropping several hundred dollars on a "big name" to convert your rifle.

To lift the tagline from the Geico spokesgecko: It's really so simple, a caveman could do it.

Interesting reading: Finding the inner Kalashnikov

Some people just like to have things done by professionals who do that type of work all the time. Case in point here. I have enough mechanical aptitude to complete my conversion my self, but for the cost of the parts its only going to cost me about $100 more to have Wade P do the conversion for me, and he's done a lot more of them than I have. I'll gladly pay that for the piece of mind I have letting someone with experience handle it for me!

That said, I would not mess with a .308, the S12 has skyrocketed in price. I would look at either the 7.62 or the 5.45x39, both have cheap readily available ammunition and you'll have the best AK currently in production..

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I'll gladly pay that for the piece of mind I have letting someone with experience handle it for me!
    Have you had a lobotomy? I think you meant "peace of mind" :)

As far as "experience", if one knows which end of a screwdriver does the work, they're amply qualified to convert a Saiga.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To make such extensive changes, Legion Ltd. wanted a company with the knowledge, skill set and background to properly do this work. “They were looking for a company that would maintain their renowned level of quality. We were looking for a high-quality product that would serve as a platform for our project,” Pakhanyan explains. He pointed out that Legion Ltd. was happy to learn that Arsenal Inc. had the proper tooling and quality control required to work on their rifles. According to Pakhanyan, the partnership was easily formed.

You can read that full review of the SGL20 here.

Yeah, I guess I bought an Arsenal to "enhance my virtual penis!" :banghead:

Then again, I don't go around falling off logs drunk either!

I paid $725 out the door for my SGL20 at the SAXET show back in July, and it's well worth every penny! I had the rifle I wanted, in the configuration I wanted; without having to spend the time and money to do the conversion. For folks that need a cheaper route to get one, and have the time to do it correctly; that's great but those of us who prefer to buy one already completed by a very competent company are no worse off because we chose that route. Actually, I am sure that for some it's the smarter way to go!

Cheers! M2

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    To make such extensive changes, Legion Ltd. wanted a company with the knowledge, skill set and background to properly do this work. “They were looking for a company that would maintain their renowned level of quality. We were looking for a high-quality product that would serve as a platform for our project,” Pakhanyan explains. He pointed out that Legion Ltd. was happy to learn that Arsenal Inc. had the proper tooling and quality control required to work on their rifles. According to Pakhanyan, the partnership was easily formed
    .Yeah, I guess I bought an Arsenal to "enhance my virtual penis!" :banghead:

Then again, I don't go around falling off logs drunk either!

I paid $725 out the door for my SGL20 at the SAXET show back in July, and it's well worth every penny!

That is not what was said.

Sending a factory Saiga out to Tromix, Red Jacket, Krebs, or other "big name" to enhance one's position ("Mine is better than yours") is what was being said, because TBH, I can do the same quality of job they can (and so can many of us).

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    I like that link you posted, Nalioth. I just needed a "Laymen's" version.:confused: Keep my virtual penis out of this. LOL! But really any of you out in the Austin area have done this and are pretty comfortable with it?:1zhelp: I think that it would be a great project.;)

Rock on

Top Bottom