Want to reload

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big country, May 5, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I want to get started reloading for my 30-06 and maybe my 40. I'm thinking a single stage press and piece the rest together or should I look into a kit? Someone taught me some basics when I was younger (a lot younger), but it has been a while. Just looking for some advice, as far as a good cheap single stage kit that will hold up for a wile. The 30-06 is mainly what I want to reload for.

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I'm not an expert, but I got a Lyman turret press kit for something like $365. it really had everthing except calipers. I like the turret part with six slots. The primer feed works pretty well, but it isn't perfect. I like the powder thower quite a bit.

I haven't used the case trimmer or the case lube (use carbide dies).

I've just loaded pistol rounds. I really thought about going with Lee, but I read some bad reviews about the powder dispenser, and it didn't have a bunch of the stuff that came with the Lyman set. The electic scale that came with it wasn't the greatest, or at least, it didn't hold up to the heat in my attic. So I'm using my grandpa's Lee beam scale. I only load a hundred or so rounds every week or so, so I'm not in a real big hurry.

I imagine that you could probably find something pretty cheap, in the next six months or a year as alot of people who got in on the craze get tired of their stuff and sell it.

Good luck.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That is what I'm hoping. I want to pic up some thing used very cheap because money is a huge object right now. I just don't know what to look for as far as a good deal, All I know is name brands and I don't know one from the other as far as quality.
    And I am only looking to get started with about 20 of the .30-.06 a week and will most likely hold off on the .40's until I get the hang of it.

4. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The Lee Classic turret press is a very good press its heavy duty and for the price it cant be beat. Ive reloaded about 1,000 rounds with it and I have never had a single problem with the auto index feature.

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Single stage press are fine as long as you are not a avid shooter. (150+ rounds a month)
    If you shoot a lot of pistol a progressive press is the only way.
    As for rifle IMO you get better consistency from a signal stage or turret style press.
    Just my :2cents:

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The rifle reloading is my priority. And money is the main problem, I need some thing for cheap that will work. I don't mind the old tools (three tear scales, powder trickler etc...) I just want to do about 100-150 rifle rounds a month the pistol rounds are an after thought.

7. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You might check out the next gun show in your area. There's always someone with a used single stage press for sale and associated equipment, i.e. powder scale, used dies, etc. I picked up a used Redding single stage for $10 one time to give to my son-in-law.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay what all do I need to start up a reloading book, scale,dies, caliper, press, tumbler and powder trickle. But what else do I need to get started on the rifle rounds?

9. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Full length case gauge, priming tool if your press does not have a priming arm, case trimmer like a Forster, chamfer tool to take the rough edges off the case mouth, and a primer pocket cleaner if you want to take the time to do that. Some people (like me) clean primer pockets. Some think it's a waste of time.

Oh, and don't forget the shell holder for the die set. :banghead: I was helping a guy start out and he had EVERYTHING except that and we had to make a 45 minute trip to the nearest sporting goods store to buy one.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Is that the plastic case for the die set or the tray for the casings? Cause I thought the die's came with a little plastic case. :gotme: