• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

Do any of you have a car/truck TOW DOLLY that you would like to rent for TWO DAYS??
    (I just bought a Ford pickup & need to go get it & bring it back to San Antonio.)

If you do have a dolly to rent, please respond with your price & phone number.

THANKS, satx
    email: texasnative46@gmail.com
    DK Firearms

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rsayloriii,

VERY TRUE & at a VERY HIGH price for 2 days.

I'm looking for a REASONABLE PRICE.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rsayloriii,

At least if the price that I was quoted yesterday AM was correct, the U-Haul price for 2 days was about 15% of the cost to BUY a new car dolly.

Fwiw, I'm tempted to go buy a car dolly, move my "new to me" pickup truck & then start renting it out for 20-25 bucks per day.

yours, satx

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    rsayloriii,

At least if the price that I was quoted yesterday AM was correct, the U-Haul price for 2 days was about 15% of the cost to BUY a new car dolly.

Fwiw, I'm tempted to go buy a car dolly, move my "new to me" pickup truck & then start renting it out for 20-25 bucks per day.

yours, satx
    How often do you plan to use it? What about maintenance and registration costs? To me, ~$100 or less for a couple days isn't too bad.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    rsayloriii,

I guess whether 100.oo looks like a lot to you depends on your income. = As a pensioner, it seems like a lot to me, especially considering that I've seen several "good used" dollies for 3-6 hundred bucks in the last few months in "for sale" ads on craigslist.

I also suspect that at half of U-Haul's per day price, that I won't have trouble renting it out to other folks.

yours, satx

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    rsayloriii,

I guess whether 100.oo looks like a lot to you depends on your income. = As a pensioner, it seems like a lot to me, especially considering that I've seen several "good used" dollies for 3-6 hundred bucks in the last few months in "for sale" ads on craigslist.

I also suspect that at half of U-Haul's per day price, that I won't have trouble renting it out to other folks.

yours, satx
    As a teacher, $100 is a lot, but it's less than buying one, especially if I have no need to use it continually. Add in maintaining the trailer, registering the trailer, and having to rely on the possibility (and no guarantee of) having someone else pay for those costs through rental, I'll pay the $100 once.

To each their own.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A tow dolly seems like overkill. Why not rig for a towbar? I have a brand new tow bar still in the box that could be had for $50. The only requirements are that you mount the pads to your truck bumper and leave the ignition key "ON" so the steering wheel will turn freely. I disconnect the negative battery post.

There's no registration, it's easy to store and inexpensive.

Flash

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Before you flat tow or dolly any vehicle make damn sure you're not going to burn up the transmission. Many vehicles cannot be towed with the engine off due to the way the automatic transmissions are designed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    scap99,

In my case I cannot pull the Ford F-250 with ZF with the front wheels on the ground OR without removing the driveshaft.

yours, satx

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    scap99,

In my case I cannot pull the Ford F-250 with ZF with the front wheels on the ground OR without removing the driveshaft.

yours, satx
    Good deal, just wanted to verify you were aware of the dangers. Wasn't sure if it applied to this vehicle.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    scap99,

One thing that I actually DO know a little about is Ford IDI Diesel PU trucks.

IF I can find a front-first tow-dolly, I'll pull the driveshaft before towing my "barn-find treasure" home. Obviously, IF we tow the F250 home with the rear wheels off the pavement, that would be BETTER, as well as easier.
    (I wonder how many 1986 PUs that there are in TX which have only about 60,000, verified by documents, original miles total. - NOT too many is my guess.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    scap99,

One thing that I actually DO know a little about is Ford IDI Diesel PU trucks.

IF I can find a front-first tow-dolly, I'll pull the driveshaft before towing my "barn-find treasure" home.
    (I wonder how many 1986 PUs that there are in TX which have only about 60,000, verified by documents, miles total. - NOT too many is my guess.)

yours, satx
    Sounds like a great find.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    If you end up renting from u-haul make sure you tell them that the vehicle that you are putting on the dolly is much smaller than the tow vehicle. I needed to tow a Dodge mini-van and was told that a Ford F150 was not heavy enough.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tcruse,

VERY TRUE.

Some 6-8 months ago, I told U-Haul that we planned to pull a Mercedes W123 with a friend's F-150. = They said: NO WAY.
    (So we borrowed a dually to pull it home.)

yours, satx

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    You can "test" what you need to tell them on their website. You pick your tow car 1st, add the car trailer and then add the car your planning to tow. If the website says no, pick a lighter car to tell them your towing.

Top Bottom