• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grillmark55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My 10-year-old grandson is going to be visiting us in Houston during spring break. I'd like to take him to the range to shoot (.22 rifle) but I CANNOT for the life of me find out if there is any age restriction or training requirement in Texas. I grew up in Minnesota and I had to take a training course (which I thought was an excellent idea) but I can't find any info on whether or not training is required in Texas before a minor can shoot a gun. (OK - please don't get into a discussion about Minnesota; I know that they are an ultra-liberal whack-o state which is why I LEFT and moved to TEXAS.). My grandson's dad and mom are ok with me taking him shooting by the way, so that isn't an issue.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Jeesh at the age of ten I had already been shooting for three years! You are most certainly good to go as long as he has adult supervising and you both practice safety. I do not have children so I have no idea where to find the info but I will look around a little. I sure hope that you already have ammo!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Is it an issue of you feeling doubt as to your ability to teach him, or just unfamiliarty with applicable laws? In Texas, Parental/Guardian rights are almost without question. As suggested, get parental permission in writing, then take Grandson to range and make memories that will last his lifetime.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Geeze I'm kinda of shocked that everyone is saying get it in writing. I don't disagree with it I guess just to cover your own bases, but you're not talking about a neighbor's boy or something. It's your grandson. I would hope your own son or daughter wouldn't give you crap about that if they verbally said it was okay.

Anyway, some ranges have age limits, however. So if you are going to a range I think the only thing you'll have to figure out is what their limit is. I think Eagle Peak here in Cedar Park is at least 5 years old, but it might be 10. Most likely, at 10, he'll be okay though.

Grillmark55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the answers. Somebody else pointed me to Texas CHL laws Sec. 46.13 Making Firearms Accessible to a Child. So long as I am over 18 (that is WAYYYY back in the mirror!) I'm good to go.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Geeze I'm kinda of shocked that everyone is saying get it in writing. I don't disagree with it I guess just to cover your own bases, but you're not talking about a neighbor's boy or something. It's your grandson. I would hope your own son or daughter wouldn't give you crap about that if they verbally said it was okay.

So he can prove to range personnel/EMT he can have the grand shooting. Doesn't sound like it's between family at all.

Have fun sir.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Anyway, some ranges have age limits, however. So if you are going to a range I think the only thing you'll have to figure out is what their limit is. I think Eagle Peak here in Cedar Park is at least 5 years old, but it might be 10. Most likely, at 10, he'll be okay though.

To be legal he needs parental permission.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So he can prove to range personnel/EMT he can have the grand shooting. Doesn't sound like it's between family at all.

Have fun sir.

Emergency treatment doesn't require parental permission.

I'd get it in writing just to avoid snags with getting onto the range. I've taken a friend's teenage son to a couple of matches, and had him bring written permission just in case the match director asked questions and balked. They never have, but a plan B never hurts.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Gramps,

Take the boy to the range. Teach him the fundamentals of safe gunnery and marksmanship. Coach him after every shot.

The boy will be relieved that he can attain high standards on his own -- hit the target. Youngsters will not quit until they can consistently hit the target time after time.

Then, take him fishing -- that will convince him that he has do develop another skill set to achieve success.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom