Lynx Defense

Wanting to start a TX OUTDOOR range, need help and advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    New Layout - What do you think? Solved the I20 pistol fan issue. That old pistol range was huge. Like 100 lanes. This one still has 20 lanes at 12 feet wide. Which is really 40 usable lanes @ 2 shooters per lane.
    Hurley's Gold

Attachments

• Range Layout 2 Color Coded.jpg
      Range Layout 2 Color Coded.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 208

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anyone ever seen anything like this put into practice?
    In pictures, yes. This is an aerial view of the baffled range previously pictured:

IMG_9740_002_zps63a510a9.jpg

The 200M range is at the bottom, berm on the left, firing line on the right. The last baffle appears to be ~100 meters out.

matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    In pictures, yes. This is an aerial view of the baffled range previously pictured:

IMG_9740_002_zps63a510a9.jpg

The 200M range is at the bottom, berm on the left, firing line on the right. The last baffle appears to be ~100 meters out.

Wow! I can tell you from my construction experience, not including any air conditioned space, that is a million dollar range. Including the buildings and land its probably closer to $3m! Just one of those concrete walls is worth about 75k in our current market.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Maybe I missed it, but a market analyses would be a good idea. Just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.....

You want the local Government with you, no against you......

We built and opened an indoor range a little over a year ago with our gun shop that has been open for 7 years.....The County and City were supportive of the project and were instrumental in getting some hurdles cleared......

Yes, it is exciting, and you have to believe....to get it done, but it was worth every ounce of energy and penny.

It turned out.......Budget + 20% got it done.......

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    benenglish said:

Wow. Never seen anything like that before. Great idea, though obviously expensive.

MAtt2k12 ,I hope you get it all worked out and and make a profitable business of it. I'm always on the side of small businesses and the guys who got the guts to hang it all out there and make things happen. None of my business ideas are good enough for me to bet the farm on. I got a lot of respect for the guys that do though. Maybe some day I'll get something figured out myself. Anyway, best of luck!

matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Hey yall... UPDATE:

I went ahead and bought the land because I got it for a really good deal and on the buy alone with the property value I have at least quadrupled my money, easy, if not double quadrupled it....

That being said, its time to build the range.

It needs 2 fences, 3000 lineal feet. I wanted to get some input on property boundaries, fencing, or other methods of marking the property to keep my initial costs low.

Option 1 - Build a legitimate property fence with t posts and barbed wire - $7000 to pay someone; $2000 in materials to do it myself.

Option 2 - Mark the property with traffic cones and orange rope - $1800 in materials plus my labor. 42" Orange Traffic Cone with one 4" and one 6" Silver Cones-Traffic Safety Warehouse

Option 3 - Build berms for the property line and have no fencing or markers. I have people willing to donate some front end loaders but it could be time consuming to build 3000 feet of berms. I have never done dirt work so I have no idea what to expect or how hard it would be but I would most likely be the main operator. I think this could save the most money and also be the most effective besides building a legit fence.

The main thing, obviously, is that I want security in the sense of people not wandering off or onto the property, and people not stealing range time from me. I think the berms can do this the best and most cost effective but I am just wondering about the feasibility. Any input would be greatly appreciated. OF course the main gate would still be a legitimate main gate, regardless of the option chosen.

Also, FYI, I am going to face it north, different than any of the designs I presented here.

matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    The fence is really easy... flat land, soft dirt, I could knock it out myself in a week. Just costs $$$ for the materials...

When I get the backhoe for free and all I pay is diesel and berm it all up.... decisions decisions...

I am for sure taking a backhoe out there this weekend to start building the firing line, target area, and backstops so I'm gonna see if that berm building will be easy or... not easy...

matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    does anyone have any schematics for metal targets? or rotating targets, tree targets, i dont know the correct terminology... but i have a few people (metal workers) offering to make some targets so if you know of any handy guides or websites or anything please let me know. Thanks!

matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    I got the range up and going yall, but still under construction. I am open weekends only for now. Texas only requires 500k bodily and 500k property coverage but I have quadruple that at $4m worth of coverage and I pay about $4k per year. About $1k per million.

www.facebook.com/odessaareaoutdoorgunrange

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yay for the OP for getting up and running. Seriously, congrats on serving the community and I hope you make money doing it.

OT Warning for what follows.

Search for "chandlers gun range" and look at some work they have recently had to do over a bunch of BS ...

The modifications made are insane. ...

Read up on their FB page if you have time.
    Since this thread has risen from the dead, I did as you suggested.

Here are some pictures. What modifications were made (Yes, I read the facebook page so I think I know.) and, more importantly, which do you consider "insane"?

chandlerberms_zps82c479d3.jpg

chandlerriflebench_zps5059261b.jpg

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well, for one, you can clearly see where they had to install that overhang. That just seems like a waste of money to me. I've shot at ranges with them and I'm just not a fan.

Top Bottom