• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daniel M. Ramos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Austin
    Have any of y'all taken a look at this new design for a polymer lower that was released to public domain a while back? I think it is quite interesting and it is nice that people are thinking of original designs that attempt to address some of the issues involved with polymer lowers instead of simply trying to recreate the design for metal lowers in a high strength polymer.

Here is the information on the designs on the DEFCAD forums:
    WarFairy Charon V0.2B released!

Here is the design I think is most functional and I am particularly interested in:
    http://i.imgur.com/fp3c7vw.jpg

It looks like it is much improved over the integrated CAV-15 polymer lowers currently sold and manufactured by GWACS.
    Have any of y'all tried making one of these open source lowers?
    It seems to me that although it was originally meant to be produced via 3D printing it could be made via injection molding or machining of polymer as well. 3D printing doesn't seem to make very durable product unless very high end printers are used.

Here is a picture of the design broken into components that could then be welded together for a final product.
    http://i.imgur.com/uB4klRf.jpg

Thanks for the input.
    Lynx Defense

Daniel M. Ramos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Austin
    One of the options for the mentioned lower/stock design previously mentioned I was thinking of was using an AR57 upper to make a kind of alternative to a ps90 with parts that are more readily available and less proprietary than those from FN.

Daniel M. Ramos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Austin
    TXARGUY, my wife and I are big fans of the music of Jim Heath and Jimbo Wallace. This past weekend we were driving by Corpus and we were travelling down to South Padre. We played a couple of their CDs in honor of Jim Heath.

Personally I think 3d printing is ok for prototyping, but I would want to use some other proven method for a working lower such as what is used to make the CAV-15 or simply machining out a block of fiber reinforced poly of some type.

Do you see how using an AR57 upper would fit that lower nicely?

Top Bottom