• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I am starting a new one. From the other thread:

and guys, im not usually one to mince words, but Hackers aren't the guys ya'll are worried about. it is Crackers. they are the malicious types. Hackers are the guys who INVENTED the internet (not al gore LoL) brought us things like UNIX and LINUX and APACHE etc etc. IOW the good guys...

Ummm No.

That article is totally wrong.
    1) MIT's first use is documented here: http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/internet-find/first-recorded-usage-of-hacker-from-mit-paper-in-1963/
    2) A "Hacker" is someone who "hacks" their way into a secure system. (phone, computer, etc.)
    3) A "Cracker" is someone who breaks the copy protection on a piece of software. (at least when not used as a racial slur lol)

Any attempt to pervert the term "hacker" into a non-pejorative context is done by someone who either has no clue or is too young to have been personally involved over three decades ago.

Then there were these responses:
    Actually Wolfwood was right. The term 'Hacker' is bastardized to mean someone that wants to do malicious things do you through their computer the same way that 'Liberal' is bastardized to mean Progressive. True hackers are not malicious and are only interested in the free exchange of thoughts and ideas, not taking down your power grid.

Nope. Nice playing though.

WTF?

Let me be clear. The term "hacker" may be getting perverted in current times into some warm and fuzzy non-malicious free exchange of thoughts and ideas, but it has been "BASTARDIZED" into that.

Its no different than calling a magazine a clip. "Clip" is more and more acceptable all the time. Using the word "an" in front of any word that starts with an "h" like "history" instead of only words that start with a vowel sound like "hour" and "honor" is totally grammatically incorrect. Its so commonplace it is on most news casts...its wrong but people are ignorant are perpetuate it to the point that it is perverted. That does not make it right. Just accepted.

Hacker is no different. I already posted a link showing that the first reported use of the word was to describe people hacking into phone systems.

I was a hacker from the early 1980s until the early 1990s. We used to use programs we wrote called "war dialers" to dial every phone number in an area code and log which ones were answered by modems. Then we would go back and hack into those systems. We also used them in a similar way to modern "denial of service" attacks where we would use them to tie up a company's phone lines so noone could call in. "We" did a lot of fucked up stuff that I am extremely ashamed of. Stuff that I should have been arrested for. Stuff that I would beat the crap out of my kid for. I was a dumb punk kid that was good at computers and thought I was so much smarter than everyone else. I was unbelievably selfish and narrow minded in my thinking.

Luckily for me I got a wakeup call. It wasn't my house that got raided. I tried to erase all the evidence, but the funny thing is that now with the internet it is so easy to find my old handle and evidence of some of the stupid crap I used to do. I got the hell out of that and did a 180 in my life. Since then I have been trying to be a mature responsible law abiding adult.

So please don't tell me a "hacker" is a cool guy. Its no less ignorant than calling a magazine a clip or using the phrase "an historic". It may be commonly accepted. It is still wrong.
    Target Sports

TangoUniform

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    Ellis County, TX
    Hacker not cool.

General public recognizes the term Hacker as a thumb sucking dirt bag rim viewer who cost them thousands of dollars of their hard earn money! Hackers chew slurpies.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Hacker not cool.

General public recognizes the term Hacker as a thumb sucking dirt bag asshole who cost them thousands of dollars of their hard earn money! Hackers suck dick.

Methinks you might want to temper your temper with kinder words.

No need for vulgarity in any public discourse.

May you re-think your comments and select words that more accurately reflect your thoughts.

Be well.

TangoUniform

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    Ellis County, TX
    Methinks you might want to temper your temper with kinder words.

No need for vulgarity in any public discourse.

May you re-think your comments and select words that more accurately reflect your thoughts.

Be well.

Sorry to have offended your sensibilities.

Re-read, re-thought, re-looked, not angry, checked for accuracy.

No changes needed.

Which part in particular upset you?
    Be well

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I always liked the term spider.....someone who tries to get into the small cracks left by systems administrators that didn't completly do their job and see how deep you can get.

I always considered a hacker a person who would do this and then use that info to gain an advantage (additional processing power, money, etc.) or cause harm to the system. A cracker (as mentioned) is someone who cracks protections and codes on copyrighted items.

Then, you have script kiddies who are just wannabe hackers that download the latest tools and execute them to "hack" a system, not realizing that the actual hacker that wrote the software now uses their machine to do additional damage.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    My two cents....and this is in no way an attack or slight against Rum Runner....is that I could give rat's ass about the technical, Webster's dictionary description between a hacker and a cracker. They may have different motives, but both are cyber criminals/cowboys depending on your own personal perspective. I personally simply call anyone maliciously penetrating or attacking any network a hacker, but that's just me. I'm more interested in what they do, how they do it, and why they do it, nothing else.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Before the movie Wargames came along, "hacker" meant someone who hacked on code.

After Wargames came out, that's when the term started taking on its current criminal meaning.

In the software community, "hacker" is benign, and means what it meant back in the 60s and 70s: someone who hacks on code.

In the software community, "cracker" is the term for what the public now thinks when they see the term "hacker".

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    lol war dialers.

i remember those.

sorry man, your script kiddie past doesn't make you a hacker

no better than the kids that ran OOB overflow exploits to kick their enemies off of IRC and cause BSOD's

Hacking through external security is one variation of this term and can be considered correct, but only in the sense of doing it for the sake of learning about the system not with malicious intent... Usually your own system or one built for the purpose.

just because you may have come up under the tutelage of h0bb1t or some other COD or L0pht assholes ....

hehe nevermind.

you where never a hacker.

though crackers love to think they are.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    you know...

honestly, you may be right.

i dont know what the world was like way back then. i jsut basically took my mentors word for it.

she who shall not be named....

;)

no ill will intended.

and renegade for the record, the word you are looking for is geek. not nerd ....

;)

couldnt resist.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Semantics, the reality is, be it hacker, cracker, phreaker or script kiddie, theyre all smarter than you... lol so deal with it lol.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Words don't change meaning, ever. I'm usually quite a gay fellow and every now and then, I'll suck on a fag after sex.

but I never "Travis" it up...

4836a142-49be-6dfc.jpg

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I take no sense of ill will from Wolfwood or sense of attack from Traildust.

I am just making the point that using "Hacker" with a negative connotation is perfectly valid, and IMO should be standard. I think Tango and traildust are both spot on.

Oh and LOL @:
    just because you may have come up under the tutelage of h0bb1t or some other COD or L0pht assholes
    I don't remember anyone using stupid names like that in my day.

Edit: and for clarification...I never said I was good. I wasn't. I am just saying I was there and in it enough that some of the moronic things I used to do have been immortalized by the web to remind me of my shame.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    heheh nah i got that. if you were any good, noone ould have ever heard of you.
    ;)

kindof like 20below, whoever that is.

Top Bottom