• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Looking for suggestions on good quality water purifiers. Something to have on hand, just in case. Doesn't have to be high volume, but enough for daily drinking and cooking needs for 2 or 3 adults for a couple of months.

Water sources might include cattle tanks, lakes, creeks, etc. Also for tap water that may be non-potable for one reason or another.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Life straw. Buy several.

http://www.buylifestraw.com/en/products/lifestraw-personal

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_4xckr4vwlx_b

[h=4]SPECIFICATIONS & BENEFITS[/h]
    • Lets you drink directly from streams and lakes or from a bottle
    • Uses advanced hollow fiber membrane technology to filter up to 264 gallons or 1,000 liters of water to 0.2 microns
    • Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, including E. coli and salmonella
    • Removes 99.9% waterborne protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium
    • Reduces turbidity (muddiness)
    • No aftertaste: LifeStraw® doesn’t use iodine or iodinated resin chemicals and is BPA-free
    • Meets US EPA drinking water standards
    • Ultralight: weighs only 2 ounces or 57 grams
    • Portable: only 9” (22.5 cm) long and 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter
    • Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
    • BPA free and contains no chemicals
    • Raw materials meet US Food and Drug Administration regulations and standards

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Life straw. Buy several.

http://www.buylifestraw.com/en/products/lifestraw-personal

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_4xckr4vwlx_b

SPECIFICATIONS & BENEFITS

• Lets you drink directly from streams and lakes or from a bottle
    • Uses advanced hollow fiber membrane technology to filter up to 264 gallons or 1,000 liters of water to 0.2 microns
    • Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, including E. coli and salmonella
    • Removes 99.9% waterborne protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium
    • Reduces turbidity (muddiness)
    • No aftertaste: LifeStraw® doesn’t use iodine or iodinated resin chemicals and is BPA-free
    • Meets US EPA drinking water standards
    • Ultralight: weighs only 2 ounces or 57 grams
    • Portable: only 9” (22.5 cm) long and 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter
    • Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
    • BPA free and contains no chemicals
    • Raw materials meet US Food and Drug Administration regulations and standards

Isn't this the one where some have complained about the amount of pressure it takes to get the water through the filter?

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Berkies and pro-pur make some awesome gravity filters. I personally have the mid sized pro-pur and the water from it is pure and delicious (also makes the water slightly alkaline). Also use that water for my garter snake. If it's good enough for my snake I think it's plenty good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It works well. I have tried it, and own several.

They also have a water bottle you can fill, and squeeze it through the straw.

Berkey has a bottle you squeeze as well.

I have a mid seized Berkey as well as the squeeze bottle Berkey. I also have some straws and a portable katadyn pump filter.

The bigger Berkey I use every day in the kitchen. It is slow so I fill it every night.

The squeezes bottle and the katadyn work well for hiking and when you can't wait for Gravity filtering.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Hmmm clears 99.9999% of virus and bacteria in the water sample.... Protection efficeny. During a cholera epidemic, levels of 10-104 cells/100 ml were reported (Kott and Betzer 1972). Concentrations up to 105 cells/ml were observed in raw sewage in Peru ( AWWA 2006). It is estimated that a infective dose of V. cholerae is between 103-106 cells if ingested with water and between 102-104 cells if ingested with food (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic351.htm). Interestingly, a individual colonized copepod can potentially contain up to 104 cells of V. cholerae ( Colwell RR 1996). The ingestion of a glass of untreated water with a few infected copepods can therefore be sufficient to cause disease. The concentration of copepods can be high in cholera endemic countries at times of plankton blooms.
    SO to figure out the chances of getting cholera if drinking from an infected pool: 100ml is 3.33 oz and the "straw" clears 99.9999% that would leave about 1 cell per ml or 100 cells in 3.33 oz. of water, enough to infect someone (boarder-line) Not bad. Given a "normal water sample, one would be pretty safe drinking from the "Straw" It would not hurt to toss in some chlorine bleach or boil anyway.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I would look at a Sawyer Point One. Can be adapted to a 5 gallon bucket, put on a bottle or pouch or even used on the tap for extra protection during a Boil Precautions warning. You don't need to cover for Viruses in the US. However, be aware no system will remove chemicals.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Hmmm clears 99.9999% of virus and bacteria in the water sample.... Protection efficeny. During a cholera epidemic, levels of 10-104 cells/100 ml were reported (Kott and Betzer 1972). Concentrations up to 105 cells/ml were observed in raw sewage in Peru ( AWWA 2006). It is estimated that a infective dose of V. cholerae is between 103-106 cells if ingested with water and between 102-104 cells if ingested with food (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic351.htm). Interestingly, a individual colonized copepod can potentially contain up to 104 cells of V. cholerae ( Colwell RR 1996). The ingestion of a glass of untreated water with a few infected copepods can therefore be sufficient to cause disease. The concentration of copepods can be high in cholera endemic countries at times of plankton blooms.
    SO to figure out the chances of getting cholera if drinking from an infected pool: 100ml is 3.33 oz and the "straw" clears 99.9999% that would leave about 1 cell per ml or 100 cells in 3.33 oz. of water, enough to infect someone (boarder-line) Not bad. Given a "normal water sample, one would be pretty safe drinking from the "Straw" It would not hurt to toss in some chlorine bleach or boil anyway.
    Very informative.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I think your math is off. Your worst case is 105 cells per ml. so 100 ml would be 10500 cells. 99.9999% of 10500 is 10499.99. 10500-10499.99 = 0.0105 cells left per 100ml.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I looked at the pump type filters, some were R.O. type. The price was high enough that I would only buy one.

The ability to buy and carry more than a dozen Lifestraws, gives you a lot of redundancy in case of a failure of your primary water filter. The Lifestraw also does not have a storage expiration date, they last forever if stored reasonably.

My test was drinking water directly from a pond on some rural property. I would not have tried it without the Lifestraw.

There is no question that there are better filters available. The LS will take care of almost all of your needs. If it gets clogged or damaged, just toss it and open another one.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014

So you're saying if it clears the water to 100 cells per 3.33oz, and if 103 = infection, that's good?!? Who only drinks 3.33oz in one day??

AndrewR2488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Rockport, TX
    I went out and bought 8 Life straws, i have one in each of our vehicles, one in my bag, and handed out a few to close family. I used one to see how it works and its pretty straight forward and wasn't bad tasting. I think my buddy has the berkley one and has no complaints, its the one thats a bottle

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Don't forget your home hot water heater. I bought the fittings to pressurize my tank to force 40 gallons of clean water out of the tank. Just don't forget to shut off the power breakers if your heater is electric. When service is restored, the tank may not be refilled and the elements will burn.

I also keep 5-6 clean 5 gallon containers and when a storm approaches, I take a special short, clean garden type hose to fill each one.

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom