Water Sawyer mini to 55 gallon barrel

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by Robmoo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Unless something horrible happens, I only use rainwater collection to water the plants and ducks. The ducks love eating all the mosquito larva and any other bugs that fall in :laughing:

2. Captain

Captain Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    I have two barrels in the garage on a rack with water hose spickets. I fill them up with the plan to filter with sawyer when it comes out. I drain and refill them about every 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Bigbill45

Bigbill45 Member

Aug 10, 2016
    And I'm still looking for viable barrels. So far I have 2, 55 gallon drums cleaned but previously used to transport bulk motor oil. Don't think these will work for sand purification unless I can completely sanitize them. Until I get that Googled, they're strictly rain water collection for garden. If you have knowledge of barrel sanitation that's tried and true. Please post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sam Colt

Sam Colt Active Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    It's cheaper to buy used food safe barrels. Where are you? Call local health foods places to find suppliers of their products. Places that produce organic foods and supplements get their components in barrels and then need to dispose of them. They will often have food safe barrels for a reasonable price.

5. Bigbill45

Bigbill45 Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I'm just north of Dallas. Great idea. Got a few of those stores in the area. Thank you Sir !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    FWIW i had the same thing and tried the same stuff, but what worked for me was a couple of those wannabe M-80s they sell at the firework stands. water proof fuse and a decent bang above water, but the shockwave underwater killed the skeeters dead. now i keep a few on hand for standing water i notice with larvae swimming. kinda like fishing with dynamite, except tiny.

pro-tip, dont drop them against the side wall of the kiddy pool, it will blow a hole in the side.