• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW

Mother-in-law & father-in-law both carry as well as several others on the wife's side. My side of the family is too worried about 'big brother' to get a CHL but at least they don't carry without reason (ie: traveling or hunting). My wife and I will both be working toward getting CHL's at some point in the not too distant future, but also feel we have allot of work to do to get there. So getting to work we go! (I classify myself as an inexperienced shooter and she has yet to shoot...) Kids are still way too young, but the interest is there!

Congratulations!
    I Hope my family will be joining yours in the ranks of well armed and well informed citizens!
    Gun Zone Deals

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Mother-in-law & father-in-law both carry as well as several others on the wife's side. My side of the family is too worried about 'big brother' to get a CHL but at least they don't carry without reason (ie: traveling or hunting). My wife and I will both be working toward getting CHL's at some point in the not too distant future, but also feel we have allot of work to do to get there. So getting to work we go! (I classify myself as an inexperienced shooter and she has yet to shoot...) Kids are still way too young, but the interest is there!

Congratulations!
    I Hope my family will be joining yours in the ranks of well armed and well informed citizens!

I bet you aren't as far away as you may think. Grab some cheap ammo and head for the range or ranch and run some rounds through whatever gun you have...take the wife, let her get comfortable around firearms, take the CHL course, the shooting part is so easy it is almost a joke. Before you know it you too will have your CHL and so will the wife.
    Sounds like you are already pretty well informed, now lets work on the well armed part....

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Not for at least another month, but my baby girl has already asked if she can borrow a pistol for the range qualification next month when she takes her class.

I've never really cared for anything with less than a 4" barrel, but those little SA's sure do look nice. How does she like it? Any issues or problems? How hard is the kick compared to a full size? Compared to a lightweight commander?

She loves it but only recently started carrying it because she just got a good holster. We just came back from the gun range (The Bullet Trap in Plano, Tx) where she put a hundred or so rounds through it. The recoil doesn't bother her. The 45 caliber recoil is not nearly as bad as many people new to shooting might think. Where most higher calibers have a tendency to flip up and be kind of snappy, the 45 recoil has more of a push back sensation. Very easy to manage. The only problem she might have is racking the slide to feed a round in the chamber. There is a method of doing this that works for anyone, no matter how weak they may think they are. A very good site for women (and men) is;
    Cornered Cat She can get some very good info (like racking a slide) there.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    I bet you aren't as far away as you may think. Grab some cheap ammo and head for the range or ranch and run some rounds through whatever gun you have...take the wife, let her get comfortable around firearms, take the CHL course, the shooting part is so easy it is almost a joke. Before you know it you too will have your CHL and so will the wife.
    Sounds like you are already pretty well informed, now lets work on the well armed part....

Will do, Thanks!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    She loves it but only recently started carrying it because she just got a good holster. We just came back from the gun range (The Bullet Trap in Plano, Tx) where she put a hundred or so rounds through it. The recoil doesn't bother her. The 45 caliber recoil is not nearly as bad as many people new to shooting might think. Where most higher calibers have a tendency to flip up and be kind of snappy, the 45 recoil has more of a push back sensation. Very easy to manage. The only problem she might have is racking the slide to feed a round in the chamber. There is a method of doing this that works for anyone, no matter how weak they may think they are. A very good site for women (and men) is;
    Cornered Cat She can get some very good info (like racking a slide) there.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to fins options for her so she doesn't try and steal my lightweight commander.

I've never fired a 1911 smaller than a commander, but the Springfield has caught my eye too. I'll have to see if I can find a range with a rental unit to play with before I spend the money on one.

Top Bottom