• ...and so much more!
  • wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Well, crap. I have been avoiding getting DV plates for a while, but SH130 just became more interesting!

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    What does it take to get those tags? There are 3 diff houses on my street w them

1 guy is a firefighter other dude is in tip top shape as far as I can tell. Both in 30's

I mean how disabled can a firefighter be?

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    What does it take to get those tags? There are 3 diff houses on my street w them

1 guy is a firefighter other dude is in tip top shape as far as I can tell. Both in 30's

I mean how disabled can a firefighter be?

Texas is the #1 state for DV tags, I know what your thinking, but you don't know their story.

From what I am told, any service member can get DV tags with the simplest of complaints, and I was told that from someone in the military.

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Texas is the #1 state for DV tags, I know what your thinking, but you don't know their story.

From what I am told, any service member can get DV tags with the simplest of complaints, and I was told that from someone in the military.

Wrong, that sounds more like handicapped tags.

To qualify for DV tags, you must have a 60% or greater disability rating from the VA. And, as those of us who are veterans know, getting anything from the VA can be quite the chore!

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Wrong, that sounds more like handicapped tags.

To qualify for DV tags, you must have a 60% or greater disability rating from the VA. And, as those of us who are veterans know, getting anything from the VA can be quite the chore!
    Ok, so how is my neighbor active duty Houston fire dept w 60+% "disability"?

And he's a grunt not a capt or "leader"

Last edited:

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Ok, so how is my neighbor active duty Houston fire dept w 60+% "disability"?

And he's a grunt not a capt or "leader"
    Why dont you go ask him?

I've worked with a couple guys with 60% VA Disability and they could still function and fulfill thier job duties. Just depends on what thier condition is/was to get on disability.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Veterans' Diseases Associated with Agent Orange

diabetic.jpg

VA assumes that certain diseases can be related to a Veteran’s qualifying military service. We call these "presumptive diseases."
    VA has recognized certain cancers and other health problems as presumptive diseases associated with exposure to Agent Orange or other herbicides during military service. Veterans and their survivors may be eligible for benefits for these diseases.

• AL Amyloidosis
      A rare disease caused when an abnormal protein, amyloid, enters tissues or organs
    • Chronic B-cell Leukemias
      A type of cancer which affects white blood cells
    • Chloracne (or similar acneform disease)
      A skin condition that occurs soon after exposure to chemicals and looks like common forms of acne seen in teenagers. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of exposure to herbicides.
    • Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
      A disease characterized by high blood sugar levels resulting from the body’s inability to respond properly to the hormone insulin
    • Hodgkin’s Disease
      A malignant lymphoma (cancer) characterized by progressive enlargement of the lymph nodes, liver, and spleen, and by progressive anemia
    • Ischemic Heart Disease
      A disease characterized by a reduced supply of blood to the heart, that leads to chest pain
    • Multiple Myeloma
      A cancer of plasma cells, a type of white blood cell in bone marrow
    • Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
      A group of cancers that affect the lymph glands and other lymphatic tissue
    • Parkinson’s Disease
      A progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects muscle movement
    • Peripheral Neuropathy, Early-Onset
      A nervous system condition that causes numbness, tingling, and motor weakness. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of herbicide exposure.
    • Porphyria Cutanea Tarda
      A disorder characterized by liver dysfunction and by thinning and blistering of the skin in sun-exposed areas. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of exposure to herbicides.
    • Prostate Cancer
      Cancer of the prostate; one of the most common cancers among men
    • Respiratory Cancers (includes lung cancer)
      Cancers of the lung, larynx, trachea, and bronchus
    • Soft Tissue Sarcomas (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma, or mesothelioma)
      A group of different types of cancers in body tissues such as muscle, fat, blood and lymph vessels, and connective tissues

Veterans' Diseases Associated with Agent Orange - Public Health

PLEASE NOTE, the above is ONLY exposure to Agent Orange. As you read thru take note as to how many would be visible to you if you met the Vet!!!

THAT SAID:

Are the BS awards by the VA. YOU BET. I personally know a vet rated at 100% disability for PTSD and according to him: He was in the Navy, was a clerk or cook, forgot which, NEVER SET FOOT on Vietnam, spent time in the Gulf and he said he got PTSD because at night he was go up on deck and see the big guns firing and he knew it was killing people and for that he got a 100% rating.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Im 80%. When it came to renew my plates....I took the $3 route. All i needed was my VA claim booklet. Last page has a big printed sig. Thats whats they need.

The lady that looked through my paperwork. Asked me three times if I wanted the handicap man' on the plates. Each time thinking to myself, Id love too, but I dont have a script.

I finally say sure, this time thinking 'here it comes, shes gonna ask for a script'. She didnt. I now have handyman on my ride.

Later found out they go by rating percentage. Whats bad, i never use the plates. I still park way out at walmart. Maybe parking at 7/11. But thats really it.

"Sent from a jail"

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    they are making it a little too easy for non combat vets I think to get these ratings.
    There are guys getting out who were never deployed in combat and getting 80 percent for things like sleep apnea, carpal tunnel and anxiety. Personally, I would feel wrong about taking a disability for something like that when a guy coming back from Astan with both legs blown off can't get what he needs.

A neighbor of mine kept on and kept on applying for PTSD because he was asleep in the barracks when a gun when off in the armory and hit the wall near him. This was peace time states side. He claimed that was his "stressor" event and it gave him nightmares. He kept on until they gave it to him. with his other ratings he gets well over $2000 per month.

I don't mean anyone here any disrespect, I just think that some people I have known personally have gotten disability for things that are just due to being older not anything that happened to them while on duty.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    they are making it a little too easy for non combat vets I think to get these ratings.
    There are guys getting out who were never deployed in combat and getting 80 percent for things like sleep apnea, carpal tunnel and anxiety. Personally, I would feel wrong about taking a disability for something like that when a guy coming back from Astan with both legs blown off can't get what he needs.

A neighbor of mine kept on and kept on applying for PTSD because he was asleep in the barracks when a gun when off in the armory and hit the wall near him. This was peace time states side. He claimed that was his "stressor" event and it gave him nightmares. He kept on until they gave it to him. with his other ratings he gets well over $2000 per month.

I don't mean anyone here any disrespect, I just think that some people I have known personally have gotten disability for things that are just due to being older not anything that happened to them while on duty.

I dont think non service connected really get any benefits. Not plates for sure.

"Sent from a jail"

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

I have ALWAYS believed that the military should de 2 tiered. Those that have been in a combat zone for which they drew combat pay and those who have not. If you have drawn combat pay then you are elgible for 20 year retirement and disability, those that have not are looked at real hard for any disability claim and are not eligible for 20 yr retirement.

There is NO shortage of enlisted and officer who have never seen a combat tour or hardship tour in 20++ years.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Too bad I still have to line the pockets of a Spanish billionaire that collects money of roads that were built with taxpayer dollars. Not to put down you vets, but nobody should be paying these tolls. It would be one thing if they actually went towards future road development but ya.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Man, I've been driving toll roads for 2 years now with DV plates and haven't had my fees waived once. It's kinda irritating simply because I hate toll road fees, but I don't really complain much about it because I save so much money on my registration each year.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Too bad I still have to line the pockets of a Spanish billionaire that collects money of roads that were built with taxpayer dollars. Not to put down you vets, but nobody should be paying these tolls. It would be one thing if they actually went towards future road development but ya.

You can thank TXDOT for that

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I dont think non service connected really get any benefits. Not plates for sure.

To receive DV tags in Texas, the disability must be related to military service (and provide by the VA). Note that I said service-related, not combat related. While it can most certainly be the latter, it doesn't have to be.

Also, per Texas Transportation Code Section 681.008, "A vehicle may be parked for an unlimited period in a parking space or area that is designated specifically for persons with physical disabilities if the vehicle: (1) is being operated by or for the transportation of: (A) the person who registered the vehicle under Section 504.202(a) or a person described by Section 504.202(b) if the vehicle is registered under that subsection; and (B) displays special license plates issued under Section 504.202; or(2) displays license plates issued by another state of the United States that indicate on the face of the license plates that the owner or operator of the vehicle is a disabled veteran of the United States armed forces." In other words, in Texas, DV-tagged vehicles can park in handicapped spaces without a handicapped placard or symbol on the license plate.

Top Bottom