• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Relatively speaking, Texas's lakes and reservoirs aren't doing too badly. Seem to be averaging about 69% to 70% of capacity.

Relative to what, the Mojave?
    The possessive of Texas is Texas'.
    69-70% capacity? How about a little precision here fella? Please narrow it down to 0.05% capacity or stay home.

Gawd I luv TD. He's the Hoover of technical/detail oriented information.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Relative to what, the Mojave?
    The possessive of Texas is Texas'.
    69-70% capacity? How about a little precision here fella? Please narrow it down to 0.05% capacity or stay home.

Gawd I luv TD. He's the Hoover of technical/detail oriented information.

Yup, I'm thinking relative to Lake Mead that has been as low as 40% of capacity, among other lakes in distress. And about the apostrophe, you're correct. A look-see at my Harbrace College Handbook confirms it. Damn, you guys are tough!

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I hate to say this, but Texas possessive should really be Texas's, according to almost all current style manuals. It would only be Texas', if you were referring to two nouns called Texas or you use the super old-school way to pluralize nouns ending in s.

That said, this weather is BAD. We need some rain.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I hate to say this, but Texas possessive should really be Texas's, according to almost all current style manuals. It would only be Texas', if you were referring to two nouns called Texas or you use the super old-school way to pluralize nouns ending in s.
    +1

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have always hated rain! I can't stand being rained on and usually say that I like the drought better than having rain. This is ridiculous, however. Even I am ready for some rain!

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Damn, you guys are tough!

I'm fairly well educated but after working at Oklahoma State University and listening to all the "Doctors" there trying to "talk smart" in staff meetings, I grew very weary of proper grammar and 25 cent words. One of the best techniques I learned was to reword the sentence when I hit a snag. If you aren't sure about an item, reword and avoid it.

Three goofs still bug me, though, and all should be pretty basic English usage. Substituting your for you're and their for there or switching too, to and two, pop my cork. Those grate on me like running a fingernail down a blackboard!

Back to the topic.....Gonna make an early bicycle run because the sea breeze may bring some rain later! My grass has been much more brown in years past. I remember when it was as brown as dirt and crunched when walked on. Apparently, the morning dew is keeping it watered a bit. I never use a sprinkler and my yard is almost as green as my neighbors who do sprinkle. Regardless, when the drought ended, the grass always came back as good as new.

Flash

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Damn, you guys are tough!

I'm fairly well educated but after working at Oklahoma State University and listening to all the "Doctors" there trying to "talk smart" in staff meetings, I grew very weary of proper grammar and 25 cent words. One of the best techniques I learned was to reword the sentence when I hit a snag. If you aren't sure about an item, reword and avoid it.

Three goofs still bug me, though, and all should be pretty basic English usage. Substituting your for you're and their for there or switching too, to and two, pop my cork. Those grate on me like running a fingernail down a blackboard!

Flash

Dude, dont you know that in the modern age of the internet and texting, the english language has evolved into a more non-linear form of communication where its commonplace to make up your own words, some in the form of seemingly onamonapieac grunts and whistles(see ebonics)

Top Bottom