• Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    91B38390-88AD-4878-BCB4-FABB71AD3D24.jpeg
    All made by Howa.
    Unless you’re an all American type then fret none. Howa has been around forever and has made guns and or actions and barrels for many gun companies.
    This one is in 308 and has been cerakoted and I painted the stock. I’ve
    621DEE21-21ED-4D98-874C-436A9193BB8B.jpeg
    had it about 10 years or so.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Something about the MKV stocks makes them the most comfortable magnums to shoot......

imho...anyway....I sometimes hunt with my .300 WBY MKV........

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Something about the MKV stocks makes them the most comfortable magnums to shoot......

imho...anyway....I sometimes hunt with my .300 WBY MKV........
    Not sure if you have ever handled a vanguard but is there a big difference in the stocks from one of those and a Mark V? I am assuming yes but any of the vanguards I have held before had really great factory stocks

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    View attachment 269118 All made by Howa.
    Unless you’re an all American type then fret none. Howa has been around forever and has made guns and or actions and barrels for many gun companies.
    This one is in 308 and has been cerakoted and I painted the stock. I’ve View attachment 269119 had it about 10 years or so.
    That stock looks awesome. I am a big bell and carlson fan so I appreciate the design you went with. Ive never owned a Howa before but its my understanding that a Howa 1500 is almost the exact same thing as the Vanguard right?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    That stock looks awesome. I am a big bell and carlson fan so I appreciate the design you went with. Ive never owned a Howa before but its my understanding that a Howa 1500 is almost the exact same thing as the Vanguard right?
    Vanguard has a better bolt shroud and they say their barrels are to their specs over the plain Howa. Can’t find proof of the barrel deal.
    The Vanguard is Weatherby’s bread and butter gun since it’s on par with other rifles price wise more then the MarkV.

Reactions: MTA

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I was thinking of getting one of the multicam vanguards. I can get one of those in .270 still for ~$640. Its got a threaded barrel too.

I think I need to see a Mark V and a vanguard next to each other again. Are the vanguard barrels US made? I know the action is made in Japan on those
    The Vanguard I had was made in Japan by Howa. Extremely accurate, with a beautiful tan composite stock with black spider webs. I think it actually looked better than the high gloss wooden stock on the Mark V.

ETA: Ninja'd like 5 times up there ^^^^^.

Reactions: MTA
    Top Bottom