• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    My ideas for welfare reform are as follow. If people that receive a government check or government support except those that are truly disabled be required to work for those checks and benefits I do believe there would be less people milking the system. If you receive food stamps, housing assistance,government paid child support, unemployment, etc you should have to work for the government either at the local level or higher. We have parks that need cleaning, streets that need litter removed, grass that needs to be cut outside of government buildings, etc. There are tons of places the government can save money on menial tasks and move these government employees that are doing the minial task to positions that they can be better used for the amount of pay they make. Once you start making people work full 8 hour days to keep these benefits they will either go out and find a real job for better pay or they will just stop taking government money. What do y’all think and how would you improve on this idea?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I would eliminate all forms of wealth redistribution. No food stamps, no welfare, no public schools, no section 8, no social security (except what you paid in). The entitlement population needs to go.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    Government is inherrantly inefficient, they will not manage this type of program very well. Besides, government lifers doing menial jobs probably can't be easily moved into another position. Granted, some of these menial jobs are held by those just starting out or working through school, and they would likely move up the ranks anyway, but many won't. Seems like this plan would just increase the unemployment numbers.

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    Amen to your plan, although I agree with Elbe that if it's government-run, it will be a disaster. Which is why I also agree with Bithabus that all those entitlements just need to go. People think you're so cruel when you say that, like you just want to stomp on the disadvantaged, but the sad truth is that while there are some truly needy people - elderly, disabled, etc. - most people on welfare are perfectly able-bodied and just schooled in how to game the system. I wish I didn't know that personally from family experience. My stepfather's family and my husband's ex-wife's family were of that type that are always under the radar: perfectly healthy, capable people who just didn't want to work if they didn't have to. It's an entire class of people you never even realize are standing right next to you in the checkout line, yapping on their cell phones, until they whip out the Lone Star or WIC card.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would eliminate all forms of wealth redistribution. No food stamps, no welfare, no public schools, no section 8, no social security (except what you paid in). The entitlement population needs to go.

drug testing
    These.

But all of this is just a dream. Drug testing may happen, but our country will go bankrupt before any serious reform is brought about. Now we are passing laws that will make our society even more dependant on the government instead of going the other way and pushing people to be self reliant.

Just for discussion though, I am ok with some welfare/ unemployment/ disability systems. They just need a time limit. 6 months per person and that is it. I know some disabled people truly can not work, but most can. I am ok with helping those that really need it, but there must be a limit. End the days of people living their entire life on welfare systems.

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    I do believe as of last month they FINALLY made it a rule, law whatever its called for random drug testing for welfare recipients. Thank GOd. Im 95% sure that is accurate.

Food stams having to do this, i say no. Many of the people on food stamps are actually employed and many are not. Most have children, but not all. They are also always suppose to activley be looking for employment so if they would have to work for the govt they wouldnt have time to do the job search. I do get where your coming from though

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Here is a more simpler idea:

If you don't pay federal taxes: You cannot vote for a federal candidate (President, Senator, U.S. Representative).

If you don't pay local property taxes: You cannot vote for a city councilman, county commissioner, constable, judge, or dog catcher.

If you partake in of any form of welfare, be it food stamps, housing assistance, or any myriad of other governmental gimmes, you lose your right to vote until you have weaned yourself from the Government Teat!

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    My ideas for welfare reform are as follow. If people that receive a government check or government support except those that are truly disabled be required to work for those checks and benefits I do believe there would be less people milking the system. If you receive food stamps, housing assistance,government paid child support, unemployment, etc you should have to work for the government either at the local level or higher. We have parks that need cleaning, streets that need litter removed, grass that needs to be cut outside of government buildings, etc. There are tons of places the government can save money on menial tasks and move these government employees that are doing the minial task to positions that they can be better used for the amount of pay they make. Once you start making people work full 8 hour days to keep these benefits they will either go out and find a real job for better pay or they will just stop taking government money. What do y’all think and how would you improve on this idea?

1. Mandatory drug testing
    2. Divide the benefit down to an hourly rate and pay it accordingly ( ie, miss a day, no pay for the time missed )
    3. Needs to be administered and delivered at the local level only. No state or federal involvement in the management
    4. US Citizenship ( provable, no bought ssn's )

While this is nice in thought, it would be virtually impossible to implement in practice now.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    Here is a more simpler idea:

If you don't pay federal taxes: You cannot vote for a federal candidate (President, Senator, U.S. Representative).

If you don't pay local property taxes: You cannot vote for a city councilman, county commissioner, constable, judge, or dog catcher.

If you partake in of any form of welfare, be it food stamps, housing assistance, or any myriad of other governmental gimmes, you lose your right to vote until you have weaned yourself from the Government Teat!

I like this a lot but the local property tax rule would need work as those who rent apartments/homes should be able to vote.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Great Ideas I don't think social security is welfare being as most paid into it there whole lives. Unfortunately I think the Govt unions would not let it happen.Look at what they tried to do in Wisconsin. Drug testing should be included. Citizenship mandatory

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The leftists will rant that if we stop welfare that millions of babies will starve. They didn't starve BEFORE welfare, but that is fact and doesn't stir up feelings like the ones they like to play off of. Private charity would easily step up and EFFICIENTLY feed those who absolutely are in need.

This would work best if Texas seceded; those who don't think they can live without a government nanny can just move right over to the Peoples Republic of America (formerly known as the USA) and that useless commie Muslim and his cronies can have them.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Something needs to be done. My gut drops everytime someone brings in a food stamp card while driving a brand new car. All time low yesterday... person pulls up in a new Mercedes. Whips put the food stamp card... over $1700 per month in food stamp... hoe-lee-chit. I just about freaked out on them. But I could get into BIG trouble for making an individual feel bad for being on food stamps...

Top Bottom