• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slapaho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    SA
    I'm more of a sportbike guy but my friend offered to sell me his clean 2006 Harley 1200cc sportster w/ 3k miles on it. After some haggling, we set the price at $3700. Good deal? I should have it by this weekend.

SpikeTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Richmond
    good deal...
    I have a proposition for you. If you could get free parts and free labor to do mods to your bike would you be interested in coming to Houston for it to be done?
    If you could put a list together on things you would like to be done to it.. what would that list be?
    Let's just say I have a contact that writes articles for a biker magazine and we (I say we as I usually get stuck doing the labor part) can submit the list to his editor for review. If he believes an article can be good they will acquire the parts and we will do the article.
    The biggest problem is that most of my friends have baggers. They want to do articles on something different.
    My bike has been in articles several times and my hands have been in many times. Lets say though I will never become a hand model....
    Think about it and PM me if your interested.

slapaho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    SA
    good deal...
    I have a proposition for you. If you could get free parts and free labor to do mods to your bike would you be interested in coming to Houston for it to be done?
    If you could put a list together on things you would like to be done to it.. what would that list be?
    Let's just say I have a contact that writes articles for a biker magazine and we (I say we as I usually get stuck doing the labor part) can submit the list to his editor for review. If he believes an article can be good they will acquire the parts and we will do the article.
    The biggest problem is that most of my friends have baggers. They want to do articles on something different.
    My bike has been in articles several times and my hands have been in many times. Lets say though I will never become a hand model....
    Think about it and PM me if your interested.

PM'd

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just got a 2006 Harley XL1200C Sportster last week. I wanted the Sportster because I rode the big Gold Wing for years and just wanted a smaller ride. My last ride was a Kawasaki 1000cc Concourse......a very fast bike!

I paid a lot more for mine as it only had 100 miles on it. I met the owner (it was on consignment at a shop) and he said he knew he made a mistake after riding it 3 miles so he just parked it. He was a very tall but skinny man without much muscle. The weight of the bike scared him.

You'll love the ride! It has lots of power and the rubber mounted 1200 EVO engine keeps vibration under control. And of course.....it's a Harley.

Set your trip odometer. Mine needs fuel after about 140 miles and the reserve is good for 30 miles. Mine isn't broken in yet, so that will improve.

Because I have 45+ years in the saddle and a clean record, I got full coverage from Progressive at $227/year.

Have fun!

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I just got a 2006 Harley XL1200C Sportster last week. I wanted the Sportster because I rode the big Gold Wing for years and just wanted a smaller ride. My last ride was a Kawasaki 1000cc Concourse......a very fast bike!

I paid a lot more for mine as it only had 100 miles on it. I met the owner (it was on consignment at a shop) and he said he knew he made a mistake after riding it 3 miles so he just parked it. He was a very tall but skinny man without much muscle. The weight of the bike scared him.

You'll love the ride! It has lots of power and the rubber mounted 1200 EVO engine keeps vibration under control. And of course.....it's a Harley.

Set your trip odometer. Mine needs fuel after about 140 miles and the reserve is good for 30 miles. Mine isn't broken in yet, so that will improve.

Because I have 45+ years in the saddle and a clean record, I got full coverage from Progressive at $227/year.

Have fun!

Flash

I'd love to have your voice of experience. Trying to convince my wife that motorcycles are safer than her irrational fears. How did you keep safe all these years?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I prefer larger bikes personally, but the Sportster has been much improved in the last 10 years. Sweet looking machine if you aren't a large guy. That 1200 sounds fantastic with some pipes!

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I just picked up a sport bike that I'm trying to learn how to ride. Unfortunately, my purchase was made at a bad time given the seasons changing and riding season being over. I fear it will have to sit in the garage until warmer weather comes along.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    That is a great deal on a Sporty. The 1200 is a rippin fast little bike once you put an intake and some pipes on it and let it breathe. They are just a little too small for me (6'1 and 260...)

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I just picked up a sport bike that I'm trying to learn how to ride. Unfortunately, my purchase was made at a bad time given the seasons changing and riding season being over. I fear it will have to sit in the garage until warmer weather comes along.

Sucks to have it sit, but sometimes the best time financially to buy a bike in the "off" season.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    How did you keep safe all these years?

I've had about 30 motorcycles and can attest to the fact that every "cage" driver is out to kill you! Know that, accept that and never, never trust them!

There are some things that really give you the edge. The bike offers superior stopping, steering, performance and situational awareness. If you use those things, you have the edge. Ride with your head up your butt and you lose every advantage. Cage drivers think they're safe but they're not. Accept that you may be vulnerable, use the tools that make a cycle a superior vehicle and YOU have the advantage!

Nothing in my life has given me as much pleasure as riding a motorcycle. I've seen and done things that have changed my life and made that life worth living. I wouldn't trade that for anything!

OK....here goes...........

A car pointing out into your path from a side street WILL pull out in front of you. Consider that a rule. Watch the front wheel of his car. If it begins to rotate, he's coming out. The car is hard to judge if it's moving. The front wheel is a dead giveaway. Similarly, a car turning left WILL turn in front of you. For some odd reason, they will see you and wait until you're almost there before they turn. Know that and be ready. Cover your brake and just accept that you will need them!

In a "T" bone or a front/rear collision, the rider usually goes up and over the impact. If you try to stop and drop the bike, you can go under the target. That's not good. Drive out of the wreck or just hit him.

Never ride the middle of your lane. I ride the right side wheel track. The middle of the lane is where the oil, nails and screws collect.

The front brake is 75% or more of your braking. If the back brake is skidding, the bike is calling for more front brake. Done properly, a good rider can stop so fast your glasses will fly off! The front brake is everything. Watch for gravel or sand on the road that will take away that advantage.

Tire pressure on a bike is life or death. When you're airing them up, you also look for damage or nails.

The worst wreck has no defense. It's when a cage hits you from behind. It's the only wreck that I really fear. I was on the I-10 frontage road stopped in a line of traffic when a drunk smashed the rear of the car next to me. I got lucky! Just don't get boxed in where there's no way out. Watch your mirrors even when stopped.

Don't ride beside 18 wheelers. Coming back from New Mexico, I heard "BANG" from the truck next to me and a 12" section of tire tread whizzed past my face. Those tires are like bombs!

Hay trucks. Don't get behind one! Stop and continue later if you need to.

Read the weather. Raindrops are like being hit with a ball peen hammer at 70 MPH. When pavement first gets wet, it gets the most slippery.

On a trip, check for nails in the tire before you take off.

Use the trip odometer as your gas gauge. Know when your bike will run out of fuel then keep track of it. When it runs out, switch to reserve. Make SURE you change back to "ON" after filling up. Better yet, don't let it run out. Using the odometer as a gas gauge is lots more accurate than a gas gauge in a car.

On a chain drive bike, that chain is the second most dangerous (to the rider) part of the bike. Keep it maintained, oiled and sprockets in good condition. Spare no expense on chain and sprocket maintenance. If it's getting worn, get rid of it. The front sprocket wears the fastest. When the teeth form a "hook" get rid of it. Fronts wear out 2:1 compared to rear sprockets. On the back sprocket, on the rear of the chain going around the sprocket, pull the chain away from the sprocket. If the chain will pull away, the chain is worn and perhaps the rear sprocket, too. A chain will begin to look red at the side plates when it is too dry.

Replace your first front sprocket alone. When the second one wears, it's probably time to replace the rear, too. The chain is gauged by % of stretch. Replacing the sprockets and using a ratty chain will trash the new sprockets. Similarly, replacing the chain and using ratty sprockets will ruin the new chain.

Tires are #1. Accept NOTHING less than perfection with your tires.

At 50 or so MPH, you could jump off of the bike and it would go down the road just fine without you. Any fool can ride at highway speed. You learn to handle a bike at SLOW speed. Ride circles, figure 8's, uneven terrain at very slow speed. When you can do that, you're ready for the road.

There's some food for thought. Remember, you have every advantage on a motorcycle if you stay aware in traffic. Lose that advantage and you're pretty vulnerable. Dirt riding would be a pre-requisite for my kid to ride the street. If he could handle dirt, he is OK on the street.

Have fun!

Flash

Attachments

• Flash Airborne  3-05.jpg
      Flash Airborne 3-05.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 138

SpikeTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Richmond
    Flash,
    Very well said! There is nothing I could add. That front wheel watching of a car is going to be a huge life saver. Even if they creep some as your approaching still beware. One thing I learned when I moved down here is that waiting at a stop light the crossing traffic will run that red light. I never jump out from a light. The other thing I do at a stop as mentioned is to watch the mirrors. As a vehicle is approaching from my rear I will flash my brake lights. They do make a modulator for this but the problem is it only flashes upon initial apply. Once stopped they wont flash again unless you reapply. Awareness is your life saver; watch your surroundings.

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Sounds like you got a good bike, congrats. I work in a metic bike shop and if you are going to let it sit this winter please, please put some good gas stablizer in the fuel. The fuel we have now starts to turn sour after 20 to 30 days.

Be well, Ride well

slapaho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    SA
    I'd love to have your voice of experience. Trying to convince my wife that motorcycles are safer than her irrational fears. How did you keep safe all these years?

Motorcycles aren't very dangerous, other drivers are. Riding in a small town/city without much traffic is a lot safer than riding in areas with tons of teenagers, women talking on phones, and assholes that think they're speedracer. It's a risk but if you enjoy it, it's worth it. You have to try to position yourself on the road to be seen as best as possible. And remember sand, oil, paint (especially when wet), and other crap on the road is very slippery. A guy on another forum that I frequent lowsided into a guard rail going 55 mph and broke his femur after he slipped on a McDonalds bag. Thank goodness that's all that happened to him. He was wearing all his gear, full leathers and helmet.

Now that you've heard all the caveats, take an MSF course, get that M on your license, and get riding!

Top Bottom