• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I honestly didnt think they would have one in stock. Seriously. Just thought I would go down and chat with the nice people at the store, see how much it would cost if they ordered it for me....Fers had it hanging on the wall. It cost more than I had planned on spending, but some jerk somewhere said something like "in 10 years who is going to remember what you paid?". Made perfect sense to me.

So here is my latest bit of stupidity:
    5302077148_d35e1ef9c9_b_d.jpg

I also cleaned them out of spare mags for it b/c they tend to be hard to get right now.

Only have a mild bit of buyers remorse, but who wouldnt? I seriously have no business owning this thing. But damn its cool!

My work week is completely shot now. How the hell am I supposed to concentrate having this sitting on my desk next to me while I work? The only thing I can focus on is running to the store to pickup a few boxes of 308 and going to the range to zero the sights and just generally get a feel for it.

This also brings up a question: this isnt exactly a cheap farkle. Is there insurance I can get for it? Say incase some sleeze bag walks off with it while my back it turned?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I honestly didnt think they would have one in stock. Seriously. Just thought I would go down and chat with the nice people at the store, see how much it would cost if they ordered it for me....Fers had it hanging on the wall. It cost more than I had planned on spending, but some jerk somewhere said something like "in 10 years who is going to remember what you paid?". Made perfect sense to me.

So here is my latest bit of stupidity:
    5302077148_d35e1ef9c9_b_d.jpg

I also cleaned them out of spare mags for it b/c they tend to be hard to get right now.

Only have a mild bit of buyers remorse, but who wouldnt? I seriously have no business owning this thing. But damn its cool!

My work week is completely shot now. How the hell am I supposed to concentrate having this sitting on my desk next to me while I work? The only thing I can focus on is running to the store to pickup a few boxes of 308 and going to the range to zero the sights and just generally get a feel for it.

This also brings up a question: this isnt exactly a cheap farkle. Is there insurance I can get for it? Say incase some sleeze bag walks off with it while my back it turned?

Thats is a cool rifle. I saw one at the range. . . I want one. Maybe in a decade or so. . .

You sure can get insurance for it. At least my renter's insurance has a rider that specifically covers my wife's jewelry (her wedding ring and stuff) that is not confined to our apartment. It costs a little more, but not a lot. I hope your rifle cost less than my wife's wedding ring. Call your prefered property and casualty insurance agent and ask.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    When I saw your post I thought hopefully a 5.56 but NO you had to go and get it in .308.I am truly jealous .Congrats! Let us know how it runs.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    no reason to blow that kinda money on a sissy little 223. Yeah - I can say that now!
    But honestly - my M&P15 freaking rocks all day long. AK47 has nothing on it but the fugglies.

If all goes well I'll have a little range report on Friday. Just gotta buy a few boxes of ammo before the party.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    Color me green with envy. Sweet little machine there. Even though you said you spent more than you planned hopefully you have enough left over to feed it. I'm not sure what other insurance companies call it, but I have "Valuable Personal Property" insurance policies on all my toys through USAA. Costs me next to nothing a year to insure all of them for quick and easy replacement no questions asked no matter where they disappear. I, like Texas42, have renters insurance also but the VPP policy is specific to the item and covers it everywhere not just in the domicile. If it gets busted out of your car while you're getting gas on the way home from the range they will replace it, full value, no problem. Like I said I'm not sure what other companies call it but I'm sure USAA isn't the only ones who have it.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    not bad for a typical idiot yuppie

heheh j/k freakin awesome for anybody man. think of the possibilities....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Im jealous that thing is nice I want the 556 version but am still poor. Does magpul make mags for that.

Pretty sure you've got a choice between FN, FN and FN for magazines in the 17. The 16 will take most AR compatible magazines, but the way the mag well looks, you'd want to find some Magpul E-mags for that one.

For the price of the 16, I'd just get a pair of ARs, though...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Just pay me $100.00 a month and I'll insure it. :-) Random inspections will be held to see if it still functions not more than once every month, cost of ammo not included in the monthly fee.

Home inspection will also be performed to evaluate risk. Police report must be filed 24 hrs after found missing and posted on this forum.

Super small print to show there is more small printing here that is random.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Serious note, members of the NRA get insurance up to $2,500.00 on their guns IIRC. That should start to put a dent in recouping any loss... :-)

If not they have, and I quote: ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance provides NRA members with extra protection for their legal firearms and accessories up to $1,000,000 in coverage.

ArmsCare Plus covers where most homeowners policies fall short. Firearms and accessories are protected against direct physical loss, damage, fire, and theft. Theft from a vehicle is covered when it is the result of breaking and entering a locked vehicle or locked portion of a vehicle.​
    Only firearms $2,500 or over must be scheduled but serial numbers are not required.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks for the info.
    In general I'm not that worried, however some of these stupid toys are pretty damn expensive. And like motorcycles they keep multiplying. First one, then three. I think there are more guns in the house than humans, cats and dogs.

What was kinda funny was while I was waging an internal war over the purchase I decided to look at the 308 AR variants. Thinking I'd save some money I pointed out a nice looking flattop AR. I thought it was a DPMS. Nope. Knights Armament something or other for the low low price of $4999! Looking it over I can see why: floated scolloped barrel, light in the hand but well balanced, ambi controls. Very nice weapon but damn. Then I found the actual DPMS whatever - $1100. Really too bad that I had just had the SR25 and SCAR b/c it just didnt compare to either. Again, damn fine piece of hardware, but after seeing the KAC SR25......then again, the SR25 makes my M&P15 look like a kids toy (You'll put an eye out with that thing!)

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Serious note, members of the NRA get insurance up to $2,500.00 on their guns IIRC. That should start to put a dent in recouping any loss... :-)

If not they have, and I quote: ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance provides NRA members with extra protection for their legal firearms and accessories up to $1,000,000 in coverage.

ArmsCare Plus covers where most homeowners policies fall short. Firearms and accessories are protected against direct physical loss, damage, fire, and theft. Theft from a vehicle is covered when it is the result of breaking and entering a locked vehicle or locked portion of a vehicle.​
    Only firearms $2,500 or over must be scheduled but serial numbers are not required.

I worder if I would be covered in the event of a boating accident :-)

Congrats on the new "toy"

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    Congrats, that is quite a rifle.

I'm not sure, but I may have been in the store picking up Magpul stocks and grips for my AR while you were going through the process. Lucky guy.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Probably looked something like that scene in Return of the Jedi where the emperor and Darth are trying to turn Luke to the dark side.

Got a call from some friends and it seems that there is suddenly going to be a range day tomorrow. Can't wait to see this thing actually perform.

Top Bottom