• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertl1974

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    my dad and i went to the shiloh shooting range that is a very nice place this will be my new shooting range. i was shooting at 3,7,15 yards i nailed the 3,7, yards but not so good at the 15 i kept hitting to low i was aiming at the center mass and the top right shoulder to correct but still hitting low i will try to get my permit in about two weeks
    3yard.jpg

7yards.jpg

15yards.jpg

soory for the bad pics one of theses days i'll get a better camera
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Have a professional observe your shooting, but it appears you are anticipating the recoil and pushing forward when you think the gun will fire.

Ditto. Nothing beats advice from a good instructor.

Your 3yd and 7yd targets look pretty good though. I mean there is always room for improvement for most people but, at the least those are still better groupings than a majority of people I come across at the range.

Just curious but, what type of gun are you using? Certain guns like Sigs sometimes come from the factory with sights that some people call "combat sights", which basically means that the point of impact will be the dot on the front sight instead of the usual POI directly on top of the front sight. A majority of handguns are setup with POI to be directly on top of the front sight, so I'm really not sure of the purpose of the whole "combat sight" method. Anyways, if by chance you have a Sig, that could be why. Even then, some people's Sigs aren't always setup that way from the factory, so I'm still confused by the whole thing. I have shot a few that were however, and they shot consistently low due to the "combat sight" POI, which I verified from a bench rest to eliminate any possibility of it being me. Anyways, just thought I should mention it as it could be a possibility. 9 times out of 10 it's the shooter though. Still wish I could fix that part about my shooting.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Ditto. Nothing beats advice from a good instructor.

Your 3yd and 7yd targets look pretty good though. I mean there is always room for improvement for most people but, at the least those are still better groupings than a majority of people I come across at the range.

Just curious but, what type of gun are you using? Certain guns like Sigs sometimes come from the factory with sights that some people call "combat sights", which basically means that the point of impact will be the dot on the front sight instead of the usual POI directly on top of the front sight. A majority of handguns are setup with POI to be directly on top of the front sight, so I'm really not sure of the purpose of the whole "combat sight" method. Anyways, if by chance you have a Sig, that could be why. Even then, some people's Sigs aren't always setup that way from the factory, so I'm still confused by the whole thing. I have shot a few that were however, and they shot consistently low due to the "combat sight" POI, which I verified from a bench rest to eliminate any possibility of it being me. Anyways, just thought I should mention it as it could be a possibility. 9 times out of 10 it's the shooter though. Still wish I could fix that part about my shooting.

I've always used the combat sight alignment method naturally with ease thanks to the parallax error introduced by binocular vision. Seems natural using my right hand and right eye to focus on the target, and align the left "sight image" directly over the target while still being able to see it with my right eye. Place the front dot over the X, maintain the dot within the rear notch, fire. I still tend to hit a bit low, so that's probably me...

robertl1974

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    thanks guys for the help i have a s&w 40cal sigma this is the second time i been to the range in about ten years i want to get my carry permit i plan to take the test in about two weeks but i hope i can hit the 15 yards

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    sigma's trigger is so heavy its almost certain thats what causing you to shoot low. next time you come in, rent a glock and see if you still have the same problem.

with a sigma, IMO the anticipation AND trigger weight causes anyone to shoot low.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom