• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexadian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Houston
    Need info on a good gunsmith that does staked sight replacement for a series 80 colt 1911 in the Katy west houston area.
    Target Sports

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Nevermind, can't seem to send u a PM. I would contact John Dixon for anything 1911 related. Set yourself up to receive PMs and I will send you his number. You will have to drive to meet him, but his prices are good enough to make it worth the cost of fuel and then some.

Last edited:

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    He needs at least 5 posts to use the PM system.

John Dixon would be my choice also, however Briley at I-10 and the Beltway is a lot closer.

they are also more expensive with a much slower turnaround time. However I have a shotgun I may ask them to work on for me... It is a beretta o/u and the safety switches on whenever you break the action to reload. Messes up my rhythm when I'm shooting clay.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    they are also more expensive with a much slower turnaround time. However I have a shotgun I may ask them to work on for me... It is a beretta o/u and the safety switches on whenever you break the action to reload. Messes up my rhythm when I'm shooting clay.

rgwalt, on those automatic safeties:
    Make sure they take the part out, not just disconnect it. Had a buddy's gun lock up on him in the middle of a skeet round after they worked on it due to the connector not being removed completely from the receiver. They fixed it quickly, but required a second trip while he was pissed off about it.

They have done my tube sets, trigger jobs, lightened the inertia triggers, added mercury stock weights, etc. But after they messed up on a barrel, they will never port another gun for me, now I use Magna Port for porting and forcing cone work. Normally they do really good work and their showroom is nice.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    rgwalt, on those automatic safeties:
    Make sure they take the part out, not just disconnect it. Had a buddy's gun lock up on him in the middle of a skeet round after they worked on it due to the connector not being removed completely from the receiver. They fixed it quickly, but required a second trip while he was pissed off about it.

They have done my tube sets, trigger jobs, lightened the inertia triggers, added mercury stock weights, etc. But after they messed up on a barrel, they will never port another gun for me, now I use Magna Port for porting and forcing cone work. Normally they do really good work and their showroom is nice.

Thank you again for the advice, kind sir! I am thinking of taking the gun to them in a few weeks to see what their turnaround time is. I'm in no hurry, but I wouldn't want to wait six weeks for it either. I don't know that it is a nice enough beretta (686 series blacking) to have additional work done, but some trigger work might be nice. I'm not good enough at clays to justify much work on the gun, and I don't have enough time to practice on a regular basis. But, when I do, I hate wasting birds when I forget to deactivate the stupid safety.

Top Bottom