• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Just a heads up. There's been 29cases of west Nile in dogs reported in the Austin area.

Even though it's dry and hot, its going around. If it doesnt kill your dog, you'll have one hell of a vet bill if it gets it.

TriFexis repels not only fleas but mosquitoes too. Only vets carry it local or you can order it online. And yes trifexis is expensive, but still cheaper then a vet bill for treating west nile or heartworms.

So if your going to be using a lab to retrieve downed dove these season or walking the wife's yappy purse dog now. Watch out for mosquitoes....

There's nothing better then a good dog. Do what you can to take care of the critters.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Thanks for the heads up. I already have my dogs on Trifexis because it is oral and I hate that oily stuff that has to be applied to the back of their neck. I wasn't aware that Trifexis was effective for mosquitos also.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Just looked into it and it says nothing about protection from mosquitoes on the webpage.

Trifexis[SUP]®[/SUP] (spinosad + milbemycin oxime) protects your dog from five dangerous parasites: fleas, heartworm and three kinds of intestinal parasites — roundworm, hookworm, and whipworm.

Is this something your vet told you or is it something you found elsewhere.

Our vet has our animals on Sentinel.

Not busting your balls, but curious as it is a concern down here on the gulf coast.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the post. We're going to need to look into this for our girls.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Thanks for the heads up. I already have my dogs on Trifexis because it is oral and I hate that oily stuff that has to be applied to the back of their neck. I wasn't aware that Trifexis was effective for mosquitos also.

I didn't know either. Till my girlfriend, thats a senior tech a Animal hospital in Georgetown, reported that the vet said it did.

Just looked into it and it says nothing about protection from mosquitoes on the webpage.

Is this something your vet told you or is it something you found elsewhere.

Our vet has our animals on Sentinel.

Not busting your balls, but curious as it is a concern down here on the gulf coast.

Yes, this info came from a very good vet in Georgetown. Our dogs are on TriFexis. They don't carry Sential so I can't relay info into it working like TriFexis.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Just a heads up. There's been 29cases of west Nile in dogs reported in the Austin area.

Even though it's dry and hot, its going around. If it doesnt kill your dog, you'll have one hell of a vet bill if it gets it.

TriFexis repels not only fleas but mosquitoes too. Only vets carry it local or you can order it online. And yes trifexis is expensive, but still cheaper then a vet bill for treating west nile or heartworms.

So if your going to be using a lab to retrieve downed dove these season or walking the wife's yappy purse dog now. Watch out for mosquitoes....

There's nothing better then a good dog. Do what you can to take care of the critters.

Guy, I apologize. The reports of west nile...was in humans. Not dogs. So somehow, me and the girlfriend, went from a conversation about the reported cases, to trifexis repelling mosquitoes.

The info about trifexes was, indeed, relayed by a vet. It's dogs and cats getting west nile that is wrong. It is somewhat rare for dogs and cats to get infected from west nile.

I humbly apologise.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    grasshopperglock I understand you can't relay information on Sentinel. It, like the stuff you are talking about, does not claim to do anything about mosquitoes. Since it's a recommendation of your vet, I will ask ours. However, he usually does not make product claims that the company does not back up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    grasshopperglock I understand you can't relay information on Sentinal. It, like the stuff you are talking about, does not claim to do anything about mosquitoes. Since it's a recomendatoin of your vet, I will ask ours. However, he usually does not make product claims that the company does not back up.

Fair enough and wise. I am not a vet, nor is my girlfriend. This information was given by only one vet. Where or how she's knows it does. I have no idea. If your vet backs it up. Let us know.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    One of my dogs will sometimes puke the TriFexis up. I have to make sure it's given with some heavy food like meat. Other then that, it's badass. No fleas, no ticks, no nothing. Even the yard is flea free.

I always wondered if they could make a pill for humans that would repel bugs. They'd make billions selling them at bait shops and sporting goods places. Just imagine being bug free out fishing without having to spray OFF or Repel all over. And having the spray stain your $100 sunglass lenses. Cause some mist floated that way.

Not to mention to help keep you from getting west nile.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    grasshopperglock
    Just got off the second phone call with my vet. He had made a few calls regarding our first conversation today and wanted to pass on his opinion of the question I was asking.

First he said that he could find no case study, or claims by the maker that Trifexis[SUP]®[/SUP] would have any impact on mosquito's.
    He did mention that it has a good reputation for performance for what it does claim to do, and that he prescribes it's use.

However since our pets are on something different, and equally good in his eyes, he said we should stay with what we are currently using as it's working and changing medications without a benefit change is not worth it for us right now.

Also like you said he mentioned that the risks for our pets is relatively small compared to the risk we face ourselves.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    grasshopperglock
    Just got off the second phone call with my vet. He had made a few calls regarding our first conversation today and wanted to pass on his opinion of the question I was asking.

First he said that he could find no case study, or claims by the maker that Trifexis[SUP]®[/SUP] would have any impact on mosquito's.
    He did mention that it has a good reputation for performance for what it does claim to do, and that he prescribes it's use.

However since our pets are on something different, and equally good in his eyes, he said we should stay with what we are currently using as it's working and changing medications without a benefit change is not worth it for us right now.

Also like you said he mentioned that the risks for our pets is relatively small compared to the risk we face ourselves.

Thank you.

The vet the info was coming from, might be an idiot. Scratch that...a flaming dumbass. TriFexis works by making the flea shit himself to death. No kidding. It doesn't even say it repels a damn thing.

And if it did repel them, without off label use, they'd list it on the front of the box. Like:

This product, said by the company, will repel mosquitoes.

http://www.vectrapet.com/what-is-vectra-3d/

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Ivomec is what I give my dogs for parasites. Doesn't work for all breeds though. Very Very inexpensive over the counter monthly dose. $65.00 for a two year supply for two large dogs.

As far as mosquito protection, it's about the bite. Viruses are transmitted with the bite so a repellent is needed.

Most dogs don't get virus shots so keeping mosquitoes away from where your dog resides is the best bet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ivomec is what I give my dogs for parasites. Doesn't work for all breeds though. Very Very inexpensive over the counter monthly dose. $65.00 for a two year supply for two large dogs.

As far as mosquito protection, it's about the bite. Viruses are transmitted with the bite so a repellent is needed.

Most dogs don't get virus shots so keeping mosquitoes away from where your dog resides is the best bet.

Ive known a few people that use Ivomec on their dogs. One guy said, one drop on the tongue is all it takes. And your right, it's stupid expensive. Ive used a fly repellent ear tag on my dog. I cut it down and put it on the loop. Seem to work after he had some spots from flys(?). They cleared up. The tag is treated with the same stuff used for flys on horses. Pemethium(sp)

Top Bottom