• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95P38RR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Midland
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...wmakers-propose-m1911-official-state-gun.html

So Utah will likely get their state gun, but I think we should come up with an idea for a Texas state gun.

I don't know enough about gun history in Texas, let alone the USA.

I know some of you do know a lot about it. My idea is we should discuss something made in Texas or by a Texan, preferably larger caliber, and give the idea to our state representatives and senator.

I bet we could draft a form letter to our state reps and get all of them to Co-Author a bill.

Anyone have any suggestions for a Texas State Gun?

tenfeathers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    crawford tx
    come & take.JPG Here is Texas state Gun

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Our reps do have a lot on their plate right now, but as long as we are considering the idea, the Walker Colt would truely be the Texas state gun. Big, powerful, and truely Texan.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Clockwork is correct. There were only about 1100 original Walkers produced, although reproductions are numerous.
    Actually, it looks like the earlier Paterson Colt has an earlier claim to official Texan use:
    COLT REVOLVERS | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

I would back an initiative to make either one the official pistol of Texas, by historical tradition (it should be worded that way, also).

As for a Rifle, I'll do a little more poking around and let you all know what I find out.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    How about a Winchester lever?

I think they'd want an "official longarm" to have historic significance for Texas.
    That presents a few problems.
    If the period you wish to honor is the time that Texas won it's independence, then you're looking at a musket of some sort - whether Federal surplus or some homeowners Pennsylvania rifle (commonly referred to as a Kentucky rifle).
    If you want to honor the Western expansion heritage of Texas, then you get into the trapdoors and lever actions. Since a lot of the western expansion featured men on horseback, this further limits you to carbines.

Anyway, not wanting to type an entire novel here, but just trying to give you an idea that going for pistol as the official State arm is going to be far easier than trying to do one of each (pistol and longarm), if one was so inclined.

Top Bottom