Hurley's Gold

What are your favorite adventurous SUVs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I drive an 06 xterra now its got 265hp, its not bad it has a 5000lb towing cap so it could handle a bay/bass/flats boat with ease. Its got 75k miles on it and its paid off and still going strong.

I am looking at the following to buy in the next 2 years or so, when I can get the following used, I will never buy another new car:

The Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon when the 290hp penstar comes out. The current engine is to big of a downgrade from the xterra. Also wont tow much. I like the huge aftermarket for jeeps and that you can go doorless.

The Toyota 4runner trail edition I think this truck looks beautiful:
    2010-Toyota-4Runner-Trail-1-580x386.jpg

again tows 5000 lbs and makes about 270ish hp.

I may even upgrade the xterra to the pro 4 X:
    2011-nissan-xterra-pro-4x-front-three-quarters-view-driver.jpg

I dont really like the hummers or the FJ.
    Guns International

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I know a lot of people will laugh, but I'm extremely happy with my 2008 Toyota Highlander. Although it's not a true 4x4 it is still capable of taking me to more than 90% of the places I want to go, and for those hard to reach locations I also own a Suzuki Samurai that can venture where...as I like to say...even Jeeps can't follow. My Highlander has the ground clearance, comfort, gas mileage (19/20 city and 26/28 highway), and the performance in sand, snow, ice, hills, etc., to get me where I need to go in comfort. Some pics of my baby....

Mojaveevening_large.jpg

HighlanderonSinNombre_large.jpg

SierraNevada.jpg

Image2.jpg

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Although I am an absolute hater of new Toyota's (and even most old ones), I do like that "Toyota 4runner trail edition"

But i'd just get some old bronco or a Jeep. I also love H2's, no matter how impractical they are and far from the real thing. Tell me I have a small penis. I dare you.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like bigger SUVs. I just got rid of a 1989 Ford Bronco after owning if for more than a decade. I tried a few times and never got it stuck, it could churn through snow or sand like nobody's business.

Otherwise, go really small. I'd like to have some fun with an old Suzuki Samurai someday. It makes Jeeps look big!

i would love to find an old CJ to have for weekends

CJs are awesome, there's not much to match them off-road.

I want to drop a diesel into one.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Sorry but the highlander is a car shaped like an SUV.

Im kinda leaning toward the jeep. With the new penstar engine it should scoot. Ive always wanted one but the slowness of the jeep kept me from getting one the first time around.

Up 20 hp on my X and about 1500 lbs lighter I think I would be happy with the performance. I also like that I can pull the back seat out and have a 2 seater with a nice cargo area.

Does anyone have an Idea what it will tow. I have had my eyes on an andros boatworks 18 backwater with a 115 evinrude since I had to sell my dads boat after he passed.

Backwater18-3_large.jpg

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I like bigger SUVs. I just got rid of a 1989 Ford Bronco after owning if for more than a decade. I tried a few times and never got it stuck, it could churn through snow or sand like nobody's business.

Otherwise, go really small. I'd like to have some fun with an old Suzuki Samurai someday. It makes Jeeps look big!

CJs are awesome, there's not much to match them off-road.

I want to drop a diesel into one.

I was looking at Samurais today on CL. Not too many left.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Not the ultimate, but it's what I have right now.. Probably pick up a 4dr Rubicon in a couple of years..This one is more of a working project jeep that runs and all..

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS82Nzc.jpg

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Learning from my mistakes I need leather or vinyl seats. CLOTH SUCKS ROYALLY, my seats are torn, chaffed, stained, you name it. My first car was a Mercury Grand Marquis it had leather and I drove that thing 150k miles and the seats looked great when I sold it.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Not the ultimate, but it's what I have right now.. Probably pick up a 4dr Rubicon in a couple of years..This one is more of a working project jeep that runs and all..

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS82Nzc.jpg

I love XJ's!!!

except for a "72" Wagoneer w/ 360 V8!!

DSC08563.jpg

it will be fully restored by the end of this yr.

Those are pretty rare! Can't wait to see pics of it restored, don't leave us out of the process.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It aint much to look at, but it sure is fun!!!! You just cant beat V8 power.

7678-what-your-favorite-adventurous-suvs-mail.jpg

What in the hell do you mean "ain't much to look at?!?" I could stare at that beauty for hours!

Mine's kind of a Scrambler remake, that long wheelbase makes for some excellent off- and on-road characteristics (except for trying to turn around on tight trails! ).

Cheers! M2

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Im seriously loving the jeep idea! I would need a really good gun vault though for both guns and other pricey things like my valentine 1 because I would be crusin doorless quote often.

Kerryp are those 33s or 35s? I have been doing some research and for me 35s are more trouble than they are worth. 33s apparently fit right on, 35s on the other hand require a lift kit, gears and a modified spare tire carrier. I wont be rock crawling or anything so the 33s are plenty of tire for me.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Those are 35's all I have is a 2.5" budget boost to fit 35's. haven't done the gears yet, but those are the next big mod

these are 33's

P1010003.jpg

And as for "vault" I have one of these:

JK Tuffy Conceal Carry Underseat Security Drawer for Jeep Wrangler, JK

Or you can do this:
    JK Security Console for Jeep Wrangler, JK

Or if you need more space, you can do this:
    JK Security Drawer for Jeep Wrangler, JK 07

or this:
    JK Maximum Storage Trunk for Jeep Wrangler, JK

If you want good information on the Jeep JK, you can go here and peruse for a while
    http://jkowners.com/forum/

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Cool setup man. I like the under seat drawer. Does it secure to the large seat bolts?

Top Bottom